Ignoring Game Masters

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Ignoring Game Masters

Post by melkior »

Can I ignore a GM?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: abuse from fallen anzel

Post by Crush »

melkior wrote:Can I ignore a GM?
As far as I know you can.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:
melkior wrote:Can I ignore a GM?
As far as I know you can.
If you don't respond to them, you'll be flagged as botting, so be careful. There is no technical restriction on it (though maybe there should be).
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

jaxad0127 wrote:If you don't respond to them, you'll be flagged as botting, so be careful. There is no technical restriction on it (though maybe there should be).
Hardly a problem, if I see a baloon, I'll know what to do. Although, if you're implementing such restriction, it would be lovely if it only bypassed the ignore while the GM has the GM cap equipped. Otherwise, players should be able to ignore anyone, GMs included.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

melkior wrote:
jaxad0127 wrote:If you don't respond to them, you'll be flagged as botting, so be careful. There is no technical restriction on it (though maybe there should be).
Hardly a problem, if I see a baloon, I'll know what to do. Although, if you're implementing such restriction, it would be lovely if it only bypassed the ignore while the GM has the GM cap equipped. Otherwise, players should be able to ignore anyone, GMs included.
I'd rather not hardcode equipment IDs.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

jaxad0127 wrote:I'd rather not hardcode equipment IDs.
What about the item equip/use script? Can it change some state that the server checks to see if the message should bypass ignore?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We could add some kind of flag to messages which are supposed to override ignore on the server-side.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice

Post by CapitanAwesome »

Crush wrote:We could add some kind of flag to messages which are supposed to override ignore on the server-side.
could '@t' be made to bypass the ignore?
CapitanAwesome - Game Master - server.themanaworld.org
Katze
Knight
Knight

Post by Katze »

yes, would be good.
Last edited by Katze on 29 Apr 2009, 15:38, edited 1 time in total.
Meow! (Katze is also known as Plush & Kater)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Ignoring Game Masters

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The problem is to bypass ignore on the client side (unmodded client of course).
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice

Post by CapitanAwesome »

jaxad0127 wrote:The problem is to bypass ignore on the client side (unmodded client of course).
Maybe then, a gm patch? that way the regular client wouldnt be able to bypass ignore's but players with a valid reason to need to feature?

obviously this patch wouldn't be freely available, and the command should still check to see if the player actually is a GM for added security.

Im not a 'code' person, well not as much as I would like to be, so please feel free to flame me for my ignorance.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When we would create a special client which can send an ignore-me-not message we have to implement code in the normal client which respects this special type of message. This code will tell every skilled programmer how to create ignore-me-not messages and recreate the patch. And soon every troll will be able to override other peoples ignore.
  • NOT a game master

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Crush wrote:When we would create a special client which can send an ignore-me-not message we have to implement code in the normal client which respects this special type of message. This code will tell every skilled programmer how to create ignore-me-not messages and recreate the patch. And soon every troll will be able to override other peoples ignore.
Then let the server handle that itself.
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice

Post by CapitanAwesome »

Crush wrote:When we would create a special client which can send an ignore-me-not message we have to implement code in the normal client which respects this special type of message. This code will tell every skilled programmer how to create ignore-me-not messages and recreate the patch. And soon every troll will be able to override other peoples ignore.
I figured that would be the case, hence I mentioned the check to see if the player was a GM, I am sure that when a solution is decided upon, that you fine folks will make the right choice =)

Cheers =)
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

I think the server already informs clients if a player is a GM
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P