Can We Reduce "Botting" ?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Goku
Knight
Knight

Re: Simple Auto-logout Method To Prevent "AFK Botting" ?

Post by Goku »

Oh alright.. you mean a different idea.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

its an idea that covers everything in this thread includeing getting rid of use and abuse of the topic.....(off topic nice to see you have a reply to everything lol)
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Nope. Not everything.. :lol:
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

0.o you have not saw the idea yet but it dose cover everything. you may see it if im requested to post it by those who have.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Can't wait then.. hope it's the key to fixing all the problems! :lol:

Edit: Oh lol that "Nope.. not everything." was to your post "nice to see you have a reply to everything" not to your idea.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

oh lol my bad sorry ...im not saying its a bad thing i actually enjoy discussion. botting in all is a big deal
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Haha maybe your idea to fix botting and other things will be so good it will also cure the Swine Flu. :lol:
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

Stay on the topic of botters and lol your messing me up with all those swine post i edit that out and changed it to botters lol not swine :lol: anyway lets wait for a reply from a gm or so
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

I was trying, but you confused me too! :lol:
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Simple Auto-logout Method To Prevent "AFK Botting"

Post by Wombat »

Crush wrote:A by far better method to reduce botting would be to redesign levels and monster population in a way that it is no longer possible to play efficiently by just holding two keys.
I also think this is a good idea. I liked the way the desert mountains were designed, though monster clumps would form on occasion. The social aspect to take down these monster swarms was a bonus because sometimes it took a team to assault them and characters would seek out others to help each other do this. I'd like to see more of that in the game.
Current character is "Abolish".
Anich
Peon
Peon

Post by Anich »

Glad to see the discussion is being continued. I think there are a few factors that can be used to reduce the efficiency of "AFK botting" and/or reduce it. Though these may take quite some time and effort to implement. (I personally still think manually ratting them out is the best way though.)

Experience/level control
-When a player reaches a certain amount of experience/levels they will be unable to gain any more exp before they have to accomplish a task. e.g. a main storyling quest; a long term quest. Exp/lvl is capped until the player completes the task, then exp/lvl cap will be raised to X amount before the player completes the next task, and so on.

Monster distribution and population
-Mixing weak with strong so non moving (AFK bots) players become a meal. e.g. the Mine southeast of Tulimshar Sandstorm desert.

Player Control
-Limit the amount of characters a user is allowed to have logged in simultaneously to reduce a multiple bot user. e.g. only two characters per IP

Mapping Techniques
-Special powerful monsters (or traps rather) that require the player to move to avoid serious damage. e.g. in the Snake Cave there can be a deadly creature that attacks the player from underneath and borrows again where everything in a 3 tile radius is eradicated.
-Special monster that will most likely kill the player in a straight fight. e.g. a powerful monster that can only be killed if a player activates a switch and lures the monster to a death trap to weaken it before it can be killed.

That's enough from me now. Thoughts?

Anich
Last edited by Anich on 01 May 2009, 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
melkior
Warrior
Warrior

Post by melkior »

Anich wrote:Player Control
-Limit the amount of characters a user is allowed to have logged in simultaneously to reduce a multiple bot user. e.g. only two characters per IP
Many players who have never displayed any signs of botting have 3 or more characters running at the same time.

Personally, I have 2 clients running for most of my online-time, but sometimes it goes up to 4 or 5.

Even with the storage now working, I believe this would seriously impair the gameplay for players who are used to having mules.
niels.ellegaard
Peon
Peon

Post by niels.ellegaard »

Crush wrote:A by far better method to reduce botting would be to redesign levels and monster population in a way that it is no longer possible to play efficiently by just holding two keys.
Would it help to change the spawning code so that monsters tried to spawn at a longer distance from the nearest player?

If this distance was long enough then the botters would have to change location once in a while to meet more monsters.
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice

Post by CapitanAwesome »

Thats another huge + from me!

A perfect example of where level design/spawn locations are perfect for botting, is the sea slimes.
CapitanAwesome - Game Master - server.themanaworld.org
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Re: Can We Reduce "Botting" ?

Post by Jumpy »

agree

I think quests on a long range time basis and distibuted by levels would allow to gain: levels / skills, capacity, ability to gain and use some different weapons, items or clothes.

Winning levels only by getting xp killing monsters may not be the only solution.
More quests redesigned would give more interest and fun in the game.
This would quit part of the issue of botters by redistributing the spawn of monsters on maps and also less items drops.
We arrived at a point in which you kill a monster you get an item...
I mean everything is nearly already in the game: monsters, quests and so on... it is not a negative consideration of the game.

:idea:
- Quests that you cannot do if you don't already have some skills, or some quests done before starting another (idea is already in game (ej: the 2 quests for forrest bow and wood shield) or items gain.
- Why not monster you cannot kill before a certain level (not because of vit issue or luck issue but just level like the excellent setzer quest). If you don't have the level you get imediate death if you attack the monster.
- Multiple items requiered in most of the quest make it more fun ( not only furs as for jack).
- Amount of items requiered for quests could be random too which would make a surprise effect an more interest (cat ears couldn't be changed random the numbers of skins or others items. People just collect the items and then go there before tallking to the npc).
- Skills requierement: 20 in intelligence so that you are able to brew some concentration and iron potion. More level in int and less would be the price or numbers of items to be used for brewing the potions ( as you have more int). of course with a maximum.

more :idea: money could come from:
- you complete quests you get some rewards.
- you kill an amount of monsters (no spots you have to move as spawn is redistributed on the map) you get a reward such as some existing quests already (bow, scythe, bug legs, clover...)
- you help people you have a reward (the one that you help would be the one to say who the points-money would go too... just an idea)
- Some items would be impossible to sell or to rent (blue clothes for example).

Well seems i am going too far from the original game idea but, this way, there would be no rush for levels by stealing items, spots, camping or botting.

Hope i was not too much out of topic.

Regards
Last edited by Jumpy on 02 May 2009, 12:25, edited 1 time in total.
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7