A simple Quest, I made...

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: A simple Quest, I made...

Post by Crush »

The International Red Cross Movement asks game developers not to use their emblem in video games. It is their right as a private organization to demand this for whatever reason they see fit. So we are complying.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Orochimaru
Novice
Novice

Post by Orochimaru »

Crush wrote:The International Red Cross Movement asks game developers not to use their emblem in video games.
[...]
So why nurse's uses red cross? :?
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

I have this strange feeling that we are a little under the Red Cross's radar.

Besides, the red cross symbol is derivative from geneva convention as a symbol for protection/non-violence. It can be depicted in art and propoganda, why not a game? We're not misusing it. Also we aren't profiting from its existence. If anything, we are educating people as to the nature of the symbol, so good work graphics people! --also many other video games have rectified the issue by changing the symbol's color (usually to green)

On a random (disgusting) note, I think Johnson & Johnson corporation had a legal battle with the American Red Cross, alleging that they had exclusive rights to the red cross on first aid kits.
Last edited by John P on 30 Apr 2009, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Orochimaru
Novice
Novice

Post by Orochimaru »

The quest would be able to put in game? (you developers could change the necessary changes to make the andrew's quest better...) I just sugest a quest! Thank you! :)
Orochimaru
Novice
Novice

Post by Orochimaru »

This is the recompense from the quest! *edicted one*
Attachments
A little help in recompense... I make a better one mask, i hope you guys prefer this one! Ty :)
A little help in recompense... I make a better one mask, i hope you guys prefer this one! Ty :)
Sem título.jpg (2.72 KiB) Viewed 1914 times
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

This quest is very good an as a suggestion take out the red cross so we can cover the tmws asses (sorry for that it needed to be said) instead of a full head set we have to many of those maybe a surgical mask instead if this idea is taken in to account i would like a dev to say so because than i could make a graphic for it and post a link to this topic and possibly make a new npc.....just something i like to do.....................meway
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

John P wrote:I have this strange feeling that we are a little under the Red Cross's radar.

Besides, the red cross symbol is derivative from geneva convention as a symbol for protection/non-violence. It can be depicted in art and propoganda, why not a game? We're not misusing it. Also we aren't profiting from its existence. If anything, we are educating people as to the nature of the symbol, so good work graphics people! --also many other video games have rectified the issue by changing the symbol's color (usually to green)
IMO a better question is this: if we're doing fantasy, why bother taking things from real life at all?

The usage ban probably derives from first person shooters depicting war in a cleaner fashion than the ugly truth actually is. In this context the usage of the red cross on "medics" in the games does seem like a perverse twist of the protective meaning of the symbol. (In real life people with red crosses on them at a war front are not allowed to shoot first and even when shooting back they should avoid attacking and just try to get out of there alive. This, of course, on paper. Breaking the immunity or warranting the breaking of immunity both AFAIK substitute as war crimes. Just name the game where you can play as a medic and you are not allowed to shoot at enemies?)

We might not break the spirit of the usage of the symbol, but I think we should just let the organization do in peace what they do: to help people. (This in stead of for example trying to figure out video games or other unrelated usage of their associated symbolism.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Fubar (edited for length, ttc) wrote:As specified by the Geneva Conventions, .... Doesn't that mean we can use it?
Crush wrote:The sign could use the Rod of Asclepius instead which is an ancient emblem of the healing professions.
Rotonen wrote:IMO a better question is this: if we're doing fantasy, why bother taking things from real life at all?
The Geneva convention forbids it's use for anything but it's real life intended purpose, but that's fine... I personally think that the tmw back story with the 4 elemental gods should be expanded to include other gods (in the elder scrolls fashion of having two separate sets of gender unstable ethereal being gods who don't care for each other much...) and one of these additional gods be the god/goddess of Mending, and have some associated item/symbol of office/realm specific creature that's the symbol for healing & restoration in the lore of the TMW NPC populous. :idea:
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

I still am up for making a surgical mask unless the person who made this post is up for it.
remember the light is coming from a NW view so shade it in that direction also the mask itself could use more wrinkled detail. use a reference image to help. I would like to encourage your development in pixel art skills as well as myself being encouraged :) tips always help me,... thought i would pass a couple on :)
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

meway wrote:remember the light is coming from a NW view
South west.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

you sure? i mean the light rays comes in a pattern like this
_|
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Notice the shadow on the correct one.
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

oops that was suppose to be an arrow it didn't work but yes i c what you mean jax lol