another musician

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

dariunas
Novice
Novice

Re: another musician

Post by dariunas »

Good luck!
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

ty :) School is over now, so I have a lot of time. What should I do to best help Mana World? I can make more sketches, or I can polish some of these if they seem to have a future.
Terwarf
Peon
Peon

Post by Terwarf »

Hi Saturn!
Keep up the good work! :D
Maybe polish the work you have done so far a bit, and make the songs longer, to avoid the repeat-effect.
Think about most people are staying very long on the same map, so they would hear the song often repeating.
Also it would be fine (IMHO :D ) when each song consits of two or three parts:

a start (or Intro)
the main theme (which should loop gapless)
and ending

The thought behind is: when you enter a map, the intro starts, then the main part is played and when it loops, you don't get the point that it loops ;).
When u leave a map, the ending could be played, fading e.g. the last three seconds to the intro of the new map. Maybe forget about the end, and only fade the main theme into next intro.
I don't know if that is technically possible, maybe a dev could help out here...

and again: Keep up the great work! Thanks!
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Terwarf, please don't request things the sound engine can not do. Unless, of course, you are able and willing to do the necessary programming.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Terwarf
Peon
Peon

Post by Terwarf »

Thats why i wrote:
Terwarf wrote: I don't know if that is technically possible, maybe a dev could help out here...
and yes, i am willing, but not able to do the programming, but i think it would be a very nice effect ;)
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

This is a nice idea certainly, but I think raising the complexity of the music implementation in this way is unnecessary when there are more fundamental things to be addressed? I read somewhere that there is no coding that allows enviromental sounds that can be 'pinned' to a tile or area, such as waterfalls etc.

To be honest, I can't think of any games that have this formula in place. It would be nice to break the trend, but I think this would require some more advanced programming that probably doesn't justify the means... A simple fade out would be nice though...

In my opinion, I think the forest track is very repeatable as there is not a lot of continuous melodic material, but many 'decorative' elements and a few short notes here and there. I think saturn made a very good decision in that, as your brain would identify points of the song more easily when you have an obvious section, you will know when they come round again, hence feeling the repeating effect. There is less chance of that feeling when a track isn't composed in that way...
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I think the forest song works pretty well in-game (I tried it). The problem with MMOs is that people spend a long amount of time in a certain place, and the music reflects that. The entire WoW soundtrack is basically ambient music, that by itself is quite boring, but sounds nice in-game. I prefer more "traditional" RPG music, which tries to be a real piece of music that can be listened to outside of the game and still be great.

Anyways, I will work on polishing some of these drafts this weekend. I think that the mountain song is repeatable, because its melody is slow and unintrusive, but at the same time it has a very nice atmosphere. I will probably make it about a minute longer or so, make sure it loops well, and then post it back here. Any other ideas on my previous tracks, or ideas for new ones would be great.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I didn't really do much to the song, but here is a fully loopable copy of the mountain sketch -

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... h1.2.1.ogg

It is 4 minutes ish, but loops once in the file itself. I think it works well because it is slow paced and, in a way, ambient, making it mellow on the ears, and therefore loopable, but at the same time has a melody that really sets the mood and is distinctive. This, and the forest sketch, I would consider finished pieces, but tell me what you think of course.
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Very interesting work.

Are you composing these pieces in Garage Band?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

When it loops in the file itself without any change then why not make it half as long?

Filesize is a concern here - the music is by far the largest part of the windows installer.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I can certainly make it half as long.

I am not using Garageband, I am using Logic Pro Studio 8, and the samples are all from Kontakt 3 (VSL to be specific).

Here is the song, half as long -

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... h1.2.2.ogg
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

So I finished the castlesketch. I think it would work well for castles, or big cities, or even as menu music. It needs a tiny bit of polishing, but other than that, I think it is in a finished form.

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... tch1.2.ogg

It loops once within the file, and then some, so if you like it, I can certainly make it the ideal size (one run through, no loops in the file).

So that one, the mountain one, and the forest one I would consider done..
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

I don't know what this could be for, but here is my most recent sketch:

http://alokinnollahwe.com/randommusic/m ... ord1.1.mp3

It's only the first version, so it should be lengthened and spiced up a bit.
saturn
Novice
Novice

Post by saturn »

Thanks for all your feedback so far everyone, but again I'd like to know where to go from here, tweaking songs, writing new sketches, etc, just say the word and I'm ready. The forums seem low volume for a while now :\
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

saturn wrote:Thanks for all your feedback so far everyone, but again I'd like to know where to go from here, tweaking songs, writing new sketches, etc, just say the word and I'm ready. The forums seem low volume for a while now :\
I think it's up to you to say when you are done with a certain song. Does the fact that you're not sure how to go on indicate you consider your songs ready for inclusion in the game? If so, we should get some of the developers to give their final word on them, and consider them for inclusion into a new tmwmusic release. The songs can then be used in the game.

Each song will at least need a final name (following the naming convention Author - Title.ogg). Meta tags should be filled in properly too (for album you can put "The Mana World").

I must say that I really like your music, and look forward to hearing it in the game.