helping noobs

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
knulfine
Novice
Novice

helping noobs

Post by knulfine »

Hi everyone

When I started this game I got a lot of help. Leveling, getting things explained, people showed me quest, items, and good places.
I liked it very much. Had a good start in this game.
Now my level is high enough to help others well and I do so. Not beggers or people who think they have to get help because they're noobs. No. But often I see someone in Tulimshar and just help out. With items like shorts, gloves daggers or with explanations or leveling, telling them where better not to go, and so on.
They all are happy about it, like I was when I started. They always say things like "how can I repay that?" or just "thanks". Someone I helped recently didn't stop saying thank you and wanted to give me money so i took 50 gp just that he's lucky *grinning*

So I thought about getting this organized... Maybe there are more people like me, who like to help and are leveled high enough to not die by helping :)
I'd create a hompage and maybe a forum if some people wanna get involved in that. So we could organize well. e.g. to report who got help with what, who just begged so others would be warned etc.

This is not about making a clan! I'm not member of a clan and don't want to be leader of one. I really don't want to. I just like the idea to get some people organized to help each other.
And yes I know HMC has a few helpers, too.
But as I said, this is not about a clan or about getting clan members form HMC or something like that. I'd understand if sugarcorgit doesn't like the idea her members would be on that, let'S say, helper forums.

So... who is interested in such a thing? Or even want's to take part?

yours knulf
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: helping noobs

Post by Wombat »

I don't know why player groups get some sort of bad reputation. This is exactly what player groups do, organize ways to help other players, organize events, shared activities and so on. Most people don't even explain why they don't want to have a "guild" or a group of some sort, but still do these things. Perhaps it is because most people think guilds and clans are only seeking to increase their membership? They aren't. They are players just like everyone else, trying to find some way to add something extra to the game. Perhaps people fear guilds and clans like they fear vanguardist political parties? I really don't know. Maybe someone could explain it to me?
Current character is "Abolish".
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Giving items or money to newbies is generally a bad way to help them.

Every player is supposed to earn his equipment himself. This is the purpose of the game. When you give people stuff for free you are stealing a part of the game from them.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
knulfine
Novice
Novice

Post by knulfine »

@ Wombat: I just don't want to be member, because I don't want to follow rules someone set up. And I don't want to lead some clan because I did in the past in another game and can't invest so much time anymore, not that it's not fun :-)
This would be just a bit organization. I'd make the page and forums for that but not lead anything. players can organize themselves, don't you think?

@ Crush: it's not your desicion if someone takes things anotherone drops, don't you think? And you can help without giving something for free, too. Just by explaining things, showing places and so on.

btw if HMC-members wanna help that way, maybe better you talked to sugarcorgit before... I think I wait a bit and if a few people wanna be part of this here I'll talk to sugar, too... Just let's see how things go on. :)

yours knulf
*Diu*
Peon
Peon

Post by *Diu* »

Hi all.

I like helping new members and when I can I always drop or give to sugarcorgit some items for the meetings of HMC. I don't give rares or what else, just basic equipment or herbs, just for helping new members; after that I think that they will have to earn rares or better equipment.

Giving basic equipment to the new players it's like an helping hand and an encouragement to continue playing the game. :P
CaitMonster
Peon
Peon

Post by CaitMonster »

Although giving items is a lovely idea, there's a line to draw between which items to give and when. Often, a new player collecting items is a great way for them to earn exp and gp, so thinks like antennae and bug legs are probably not great gifts. However, there are those times when players are 'stuck' between monsters - the ones they can kill offer too little exp for easy leveling, and in order to kill stronger monsters, they need better equipment.

Anywho, I'm all for helping new players, be it with knowledge, or with items. I'm a bit put off by what happened the last time I offered help... gave a full set of miner's equipment to a player who took it without a single "thank you"... but I remember I was taken to get my short sword at a ridiculously low level, and I would love to keep stuff like that going.

I remember one player asking how he could repay me for the help I offered, and I simply told him to help others when he was able :)
stevo
Peon
Peon

Post by stevo »

hi all
can u please help
everytime i log into mana world my man can just walk through stuff and walk through walls
im a noob at the game
i also would like to no wat is the server called as i typed in something there thanks :? :? :? :(
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

What is your client version?
knulfine
Novice
Novice

Post by knulfine »

@ CaitMonster: that's the way I'm thinking of.

Maybe i have to say that more clearly.
I don't wanna help by giving items like short sword, shields or so for free to players who get killed by a maggot. That's not what I mean.
It's just e.g. after changing your monsterpoints and getting stuff, to drop e.g. shorts for a new player, or giving a dagger (those 500gp don't hurt a high leveled player) or just explaining things, like I said before.
Like CaitMonster said it's no good help to give bug legs to noobs because, while killing scorpions for the quest, they level up.
But you can show them quests, like a player yesterday asked me if there is a way to get a stronger weapon and i showed him the scyther quest. He was perfectly happy with it.
Things like that help a lot. It's not all about giving items so please don't cut it down to that.

So if someone is interested in some organized helping (no clan) send me a pm or contact me ingame. Just to see if there are enough people. that it's worth the time I'd have to invest in starting a helper hompage and forum.

yours knulf
CaitMonster
Peon
Peon

Post by CaitMonster »

stevo wrote:i also would like to no wat is the server called as i typed in something there thanks :? :? :? :(
Try

server.themanaworld.org
stevo
Peon
Peon

Post by stevo »

arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh
my avator can run through walls
how do i update my client
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

stevo wrote:arrrrrrrrgggggggghhhhhhhh
my avator can run through walls
how do i update my client
Client version? Operating system (and distribution if appropriate)?
chs1010
Peon
Peon

Post by chs1010 »

i can walk through some walls as well rofl, in hurnscald XD, im updating my version anyway soon

anyway, i help noobs whenever i can, i see them struggling with something and ask if they need help, ill give them help with quests (show them where to go and what to kill), ill show them some ofthe places on the game and explain stuff to them so im not really smothering them with help or making them lazy, ive found a lot of the people ive helped have continued playing because of how i explained so id like to carry on helping where i can

there is one drawback though lol, im sorta a noob myself, im nearly strong enough to survive in certain places like the desert cave, although i cant kill spiders but ill help wherever i can, even if the organized helping doesnt get started ill still probably help lol
knulfine
Novice
Novice

Post by knulfine »

@chs1010
I don't think the level is that important as you know some stuff about the game :-)

Someone sent me a PM yesterday and I know someone ingame, too who wanna help. So if there are some more people just continue sending PM or talking to me ingame. I'm sitting in Hurnscald today 'till 2pm gametime. and again from 10pm gametime.

yours knulf
knulfine
Novice
Novice

Post by knulfine »

news :)
4 people + me: so we are 5 at the moment
Yesterday i started to work on the homepage. Please give me 2 or 3 days more for it. I'll post the link when it's done.

Tomorrow (Sunday) we'll have a short, first meeting. Doesn't need much time. Just to know each other and answering questions if there are some. I think we don't need more then 10-20 minutes.
The meeting is at 6pm gametime in Hurnscald. The house with the little bit of water and field in front of it (where npc milly stands).
Everyone who is interested in the group or wants to join is invited. And of course those who are in yet.

cu tomorrow
knulf