Graveyard Track

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Graveyard Track

Post by feline monstrosity »

Here is the first draft of a track for the graveyard map as requested in this thread: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =13&t=6837

At the moment it's quite short, just over 1:30 mins. I don't know how long tracks for TMW usually are so please tell me if this is long enough.

I'm not so good at making tracks loop so please comment on that too.

Download: MP3 | OGG

(Only the .ogg is loopable).
~Feline Monstrosity
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Graveyard Track

Just updated it: made the initial "creepy" loop strings instead of clarinet because it sounds creepier and just generally better.

Download

@Crush: I just listened to your concept track and it's really good. I've gone for quite a different style - yours is a lot more upbeat and a little bit retro whereas I tried to make mine as spooky as possible and also tried to use as few synthesisers as possible. Both tracks give quite different moods to the map. What do you think?
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I like the second version much better than the first one.

When having the choice I would prefer to use your music for a dungeon instead of using it for an overworld map, but it would work for the graveyard, too.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Agree. It makes me want to start working on a catacomb/crypt set to compliment the graveyard area.

feline monstrosity, it'd be lovely if you happened to make another version of this with a slightly more over world feel. :)
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

I'm not at home at the moment but I'll certainly be able to do that next week.
~Feline Monstrosity
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Just to let you know I haven't abandoned this project. My internet has been down for the last five days (I'm posting from college) but as soon as it's up I'll post what I've done.

EDIT: Here it is. Any feedback is appreciated. I don't feel this is up to standard yet but I can't pinpoint what needs improving.
Attachments
Graveyard.ogg
(3.64 MiB) Downloaded 288 times
~Feline Monstrosity
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

I'm bumping this topic because the development of the rest of the graveyard area is nearly finished and I'd like to know if any more work needs to be done on this track.

Compared to the Woodland and Cave tracks it's at least a minute shorter than each and the Woodland one is significantly more varied (lack of variation in the Cave track is made up for by the fact that it's really catchy 8)). Sound-wise I tried to make it fit in as well as possible.
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

As you know you are not the only person who created a soundtrack for this area. I will open a new topic to discuss which one to use.
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

First @25 seconds - excellent, creepy, mysterious beginning.
25-50 - the instrument is right, but the 4 time repetitions tend to be a little annoying. Maybe you can alternate something there.
50-1:10 - the organ is excellent. You can even leave the background as it is in this segment.
1:10-1:25 - nothing wrong there
1:25-1:45 - OK
1:45-2:00 - Very nice church bell effect.
2:00-2:25 - The broken-rhythm (I lack the English musical vocabulary) is a bit sloppy. I think you should change it or drop it.
2:25- the end - Nothing wrong.

Good work over all. I really like it.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Thanks for the feedback. :D I've already changed the broken rhythm thing - I agree it didn't really work out. Not sure about the four-times-repeating oboe though. I tried changing it but nothing else I did seemed to work, and I never felt there was anything wrong with it myself.

Please post in Crush's "Which graveyard track?" topic.
~Feline Monstrosity
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

Yeah, I listened to it again. I guess you can leave the oboe as it is. It's pretty well resolved by the instruments that you introduced later on.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Kill3rZ wrote:2:00-2:25 - The broken-rhythm (I lack the English musical vocabulary) is a bit sloppy. I think you should change it or drop it.
Ces wrote:(My main issue is that I would like to hear some more variance to the background strings, a couple of notes up and down in a slight melody perhaps.)
I have replaced the broken rhythm bit with a variation in the strings. Then I extended it by copy-pasting the whole thing and adding drums to the second half (perhaps this was a little lazy :P. If you think it's necessary I'll extend it properly). Please feedback the changes I've made.

It's too big to attatch to this post so here's a download link: clicky
~Feline Monstrosity
Nadja
Peon
Peon

Post by Nadja »

am gonna throw my hat in the ring on this one and offer an alternative track to be used or to be used in conjunction or whatever, I've played games with areas with multiple bgm, anyways track is going to be based around the H. Chappell classic muzak track, "The Gonk." Instantly recognizable to any fan of the original Romero Dawn of the Dead. Should have a rough cut up within a couple of days depending on my out of game duties.

Not trying to step on any toes I like the current track but it sort of blands out.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Thanks for your effort, Nadja.
Nadja wrote: track is going to be based around the H. Chappell classic muzak track, "The Gonk." Instantly recognizable to any fan of the original Romero Dawn of the Dead.
Is this composition in the public domain? For legal reasons we can not include anything in the game which might violates copyrights of 3rd parties. This also includes uses which fall under "fair use" legislations in some parts of the world.
  • NOT a game master

Nadja
Peon
Peon

Post by Nadja »

the track is fair use