Setting Target Closest And Attack To Caps/Num Lock

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Goku
Knight
Knight

Setting Target Closest And Attack To Caps/Num Lock

Post by Goku »

Okay so people have been telling me about this and that it's a good way to "camp."

Is this against the rules in anyway? I mean you are kind of physically afk because you aren't pressing any buttons, but it would be hard for a GM to know.

But what about if you tell people like "hey you should do this blah blah blah it's easier."

And I know this is also a common botting technique, but I mean is it against the rules if you do this, but at the same time you are paying attention to the screen and can answer to the GM within the alotted time?
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
doorsman
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Setting Target Closest And Attack To Caps/Num Lock

Post by doorsman »

upgrade to 0.0.29 than look at your Setup/Keyboard.

I think that'll reply to any question.
Still on freenode network #manacentral. On the Web at www.manacentral.net

Patience, Integrity and Truth. A harsh Reality...

doors
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Nope.. do you mean because it says there will be conflict? But it still works.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
doorsman
Warrior
Warrior

Post by doorsman »

Like i said, upgrade to 0.29. look at Setup/Keyboard closely. the x key in fact is what you are looking for
Still on freenode network #manacentral. On the Web at www.manacentral.net

Patience, Integrity and Truth. A harsh Reality...

doors
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

I know that Doors, but with the "x" key you still have to hold it down, with Caps/Num Lock you don't..
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
CapitanAwesome
Novice
Novice

Post by CapitanAwesome »

my opinion is that this is another form of botting, and that it should not be allowed.

Although you may be there to respond when needed, and you may be using the method to attack while chatting with your friends, there will be times when you will get up to go to the fridge, answer the phone, go to the bathroom.... you will forget and you will end up being banned.

The safest option is to simply play by the rules, if you don't do ANYTHING wrong, you have nothing to fear!
CapitanAwesome - Game Master - server.themanaworld.org
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

So it is against the rules?
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Sounds like an exploit. I imagine the player would get bot checked by GMs, but there isn't much to prove about how people have their keys set. If they are at the keyboard and respond, they would not get banned necessarily. I could see GMs and Devs frowning on this style of play. Maybe this should be reported as a bug?
Current character is "Abolish".
bigglesworth
Novice
Novice

Post by bigglesworth »

Don't discriminate against the handicapped who may need such a personal configuration to enjoy the game.
Hexy
Novice
Novice
Location: Sell/Buy: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =14&t=6827

Post by Hexy »

this is an argument.

But even the not handicapped should have free choice of they'r config... i have a more relaxed hand position too after config it like i want it.

But maybe its possible to desactivate the caps lock function (btw i tried and for me it not works)... but what does it help... a stone does the same work...

I fear it is like it is, and a lot of the "bots" you see banned i think are player who use just this option and not a real botprogram. So go on hunting GM's, thx for the good work... and the others... don't fight afk, however you could do it.
Greetz,
Hexy and Hexy's Mom

Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Can I get a clear cut ruling stating if this is game legal or not?

I'm sure alot of people do this anyway. And if they choose to do it while afk both physically and mentally and can't answer to a GM then they should be banned. But most people sit when going afk.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

As long as you focus is on the game, this is not against the rules.

Botting is defined as AFK activity. There is nothing at all wrong with "Watching your self bot".

The only reason botting is even against the rules is because players don't like it when they spend 3 hours training, and you spend 10 minutes setting up your machine, then let it play for you for 12 hours. Plus it fills the game with over powered automated machines, and its no longer enjoyable.

But if you want to watch your self bot you still have to put in the same amount of time, and you will still be able to interact with players.
Last edited by Kage on 26 May 2009, 19:59, edited 1 time in total.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Thank you Kage.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
alt
Peon
Peon

Post by alt »

If it is illegal to "bot" like that, game should not allow to do such bind.

I used that bind because other players adviced it (actually it works only under Windows, on Linux I used coin inserted in keyboard, bug should be reported :) ). It is comfortable, when you not required to press "a,ctrl+shift" keys for hours.

I don't used this "feature" for easy gathering of experience, but got banned for a single case of such "botting" for a year.
How about less brutal punishments? I think that lefting character afk for a long time once is not such a big deal, so that user should banned for a year.
User must be kicked from server or banned for some small time like few hours/day, but with message that user will guaranteedly read, so he will be able to understand that such behavior is unappropriate.

Solution for that "botting" problem may be to stop person's attacks and put him into "sit position" when user is afk for a few minutes (not pressed any key). Then people will not be bothered with boring "select, attack, hold attack" keys pressing, and will not be able to "bot" this way.

--
Owner of `Alt Sysrq' character.