Underwater map?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Underwater map?

Yes
56%
No
2%
Maybe later
19%
Implement it NOW!
17%
NO WAY!
6%

Total votes: 48
Meepit Man
Peon
Peon

Underwater map?

Post by Meepit Man »

:idea: Do you think that an underwater map would be a good idea :?:
In the overlay, you could put a transparent water type thing.
Then, just design maps as normal.
But with trees being coral etc.
Leo
Novice
Novice

Re: Underwater map?

Post by Leo »

Woah, that'd be cool! :o (I voted yes) :P
Level 74 now, wooh! xD :) (My main char is now Leo!) Image

~Invaders, possibly from space!~
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

World Purposed on http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Geography (for TMWServ) has ideas for a underwater maps, and a sky maps
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

An underwater scenario would be a nice addition to the game. Does anyone feel like coordinating the effort? I am currently busy with the graveyard and afterwards I want to concentrate on TMWServ development.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

this requires some tileset additions first, I'd say, though it would be very interesting to have. The new poison particle effect could be adjusted slightly to give a `breathing underwater' effect, and we could add a potion or spell to permit underwater breathing.

-- fate
aroleon
Novice
Novice

Post by aroleon »

Sounds cool. You could have an ambient layer, like in Sandstorm, but with ocean currents and fish and bubbles and stuff...

Would the players swim? (How?) Or would they walk like a deep-sea diver with one of these helmets:
googled for &quot;diving helmet&quot;, this came up at the top of the list
googled for "diving helmet", this came up at the top of the list
images.jpeg (3.84 KiB) Viewed 2868 times
How would players get to the underwater map? Warp with a magic spell, like in the Wizard's cottage?

Please, please, stay away from "inspiration" like Star Wars, the Abyss, and, um, that Star-Trek-underwater show. What was it called again?

aro
Meepit Man
Peon
Peon

Post by Meepit Man »

Well, you could have a cave with puddles (water you can walk in) and at the end a giant puddle. You walk into it and you are warped to it! (this was mostly aroleon's idea. I'm his real life friend)
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

I think it's a great idea, however it would require many new tiles, along with more monsters because most of the present monsters wouldn't be underwater monsters, however slimes would work probably.

Because I'm pretty certain that what we have now wouldn't look the best with just a water overlay, we would need tiles designed to be underwater for it to look good.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
aroleon
Novice
Novice

Post by aroleon »

Superkoop wrote:Because I'm pretty certain that what we have now wouldn't look the best with just a water overlay, we would need tiles designed to be underwater for it to look good.
I concur with my learned colleague.

I'll have a go at tilesets when I've finished my current mapping tasks; but it'll be a while.

aro
Ben141
Novice
Novice

Post by Ben141 »

Erm, yeah, sounds good. Slimes would probably work, maybe maggots could be redesigned a bit, and we could probably use the desert tilesets to start off with.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Ben141 wrote:Erm, yeah, sounds good. Slimes would probably work, maybe maggots could be redesigned a bit, and we could probably use the desert tilesets to start off with.
Many of the desert tiles need to be redone.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

aroleon wrote:Would the players swim? (How?) Or would they walk like a deep-sea diver with one of these helmets:
The helmets and walking are the only option not requiring extra work for the playerset and all equipmentsets.
This message used to be meaningful.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

That's how I thought it would be, but swimming players would be nice. I haven't played any mmorpg that had a feature like that.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Ben141 wrote:Erm, yeah, sounds good. Slimes would probably work, maybe maggots could be redesigned a bit, and we could probably use the desert tilesets to start off with.
There are so many possible water lifeforms and all are very easy to animate compared to land lifeforms.
Goku wrote:That's how I thought it would be, but swimming players would be nice.
I don't think that it would add much gameplay to justify the additional playerset frames (remember: every additional frame increases the work required for armor)
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Underwater map is a grate idea ...i vote (yes)

may be one of the awesome pixel-arty can whip up cool new monsters like (jelly-fish , eels ,urchin ,sting-ray ,lamp-fish ,crabs ,lobsters, sea-weed, squid ,sharks ,clams, puffer-fish ,pirrahna and a sword-fish)

fun maps that would be great to see mite be (sunken-ship ,octopus"s garden ,ruins ,shell-town and open flat ocean floor) ..a way of controlling the borders in such places could be thick weed or maybe a havey current........

well thats my 2 gp
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana