[REQ] Two maps

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Re: [REQ] Two maps

Post by TomMan71 »

Ok, what do you mean by 3x3 or 3x4?
How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only coded it.
-- Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting
TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Post by TomMan71 »

I have added some more stuff, is this better?
Attachments
map1.png
map1.png (5.02 KiB) Viewed 2324 times
How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only coded it.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

TomMan,

this room is too big; I was hoping for something much smaller (somewhere between 5 and two dozen walkable squares, to give you a rough idea) Also, the carpet wouldn't work-- the cave should look completely untouched by humans (or other creatures.)

I wasn't sure from your first image what it was representing-- it looked a bit like the outline of a very small cave with very odd-looking tiles. Sorry about the confusion!

Thanks for the start, though! :-)

-- fate
TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Post by TomMan71 »

Ok, I'll make it a lot smaller. Can I just ask: Where is this map going to go in the world?
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

TomMan,

it's going to be an `undisclosed underground location', crucial to a certain quest. :->

-- fate
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

TomMan71 wrote:I am going to make Map #1. This is my idea, what do you think?
It's a brown hockey rink.
This message used to be meaningful.
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Rotonen wrote:
TomMan71 wrote:I am going to make Map #1. This is my idea, what do you think?
It's a brown hockey rink.
LOL!! Funny because it's sorta true.

Just a quick comment: Plant life is absolutely dependent on light sources. If the caves have an artificial light source, such as the burning lamps of spider/shortsword cave south of Tulimshar, then lichen and moss may well develop within these caves.

;-)
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Fate,
I haven't had a lot of time recently, but I made some time to work on straight edges/diagonals. I hope you find it to be a bit better. I also fixed some layer issues.

I was thinking of taking away the upper map, unless you wanted to keep it for the oval map you were going for. I wasn't sure what you mean about adding a visible entrance arch from the caveX2 set, did you want a long tunnel going from one to the other?

Also, I removed the wetwalls - because when I tested the map the water wasn't animated; I don't think I know how to do the whole animated tiles thing right. Either way, I'm not a big fan of the animated wetwalls in their current state, they just look strange. . .

I'll make a minimap when you think the general walls are fine (and when we decide what to do with the upper map) - and when you get the tileset done for the fungus and such, I'll finish this.

.tmx
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Superkoop wrote:Also, I removed the wetwalls - because when I tested the map the water wasn't animated; I don't think I know how to do the whole animated tiles thing right. Either way, I'm not a big fan of the animated wetwalls in their current state, they just look strange. . .
Not easy at the moment. The trick is to open maps/012-3.tmx in a text editor and replace your map's animated water <tileset> section with 012-3's; however don't replace the line that has <tileset ... firstgid=...> on it.
I agree that the current wetwalls look odd.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Superkoop wrote:Also, I removed the wetwalls - because when I tested the map the water wasn't animated;
Animation is a tileset property you have to set:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ated_tiles
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Superkoop
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Superkoop »

Well that sure clears up a lot of my confusion! :) I'll consider re-adding some animated wetwalls when Fate finishes the Fungus tileset.
In game I am Xaru
On forums I am Superkoop
IRL I am John
-View World map-
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

the fungus tileset should be finished now, I hope-- I didn't get too much feedback but I hope that that means that it's good to go. ;-)

Let me know if you can think of ways to improve it while you're using it!

-- fate
TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Post by TomMan71 »

Wow! Sorry, I somehow managed to forget about what I was doing with the map. I'm very sorry and is the map still needed.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

TomMan71,

yes, both of the requested maps are still needed.

-- fate
TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Post by TomMan71 »

Ok! I will work on the map i originally requested, sorry about not doing anything for so long.