[WIP] F1 help content

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

aroleon
Novice
Novice

[WIP] F1 help content

Post by aroleon »

I'm working on the help files displayed when we press F1. Most of the additional text I have added comes from the wiki. I've found it useful, for example, to be able to press F1 in-game to get a list of which herbs are required for which dyes, or what is required to complete the such-and-such quest.

In Linux, I unzip these files into /usr/local/share/tmw/data/help. Perhaps someone else can post the folder to use for Windows?

Some of the formatting is wonky because the help files are plain-text, but displayed in a proportional font. The tables in Items/Health and Rauk the Alchemist are the worst. Probably not a lot I can do about that, unless there are more formatting commands I can use (see below)

Questions:
* Is this useful to anyone else (If not, I'll continue to use it myself anyway)?
* How do I get this into the next version of the client install (once I've completed it)?
* I've worked out (read: hacked/reverse-engineered) the colour formatting used in the help files. Are there any other formatting commands that would be useful to me?

thanks,

aro
Attachments
helpfiles.zip
unzip to your help folder -- see text for details
(45.09 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Ces
Novice
Novice

Re: [WIP] F1 help content

Post by Ces »

I’m not sure if it is possible to add to the help file contents with update or custom data, which I think is what you want. To include something data specific to the client would narrow its scope a lot (as different servers can and do use different sets of client data).
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Help files can be replaced by data updates.
aroleon
Novice
Novice

Post by aroleon »

Thanks, jaxad. Do you know what formatting commands besides ## and @@ can be used in the help files? (I don't know how to access the source code, and I'm not sure that I can read it anyway).

thanks again,

aro
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The help files aren't in the source code. You can view them online here: http://gitorious.org/tmw/mainline/trees ... /data/help.
aroleon
Novice
Novice

Post by aroleon »

No, you misunderstand. My question is, "what formatting codes may be used in the help files to cause them to display differently"?

Never mind, I found what I needed in .../src/gui/widgets/browserbox.cpp. Turns out C++ isn't as hard to read as I thought it might be (though too different from PostScript and python and shell scripting for me to be able to write it ... :))

To answer my own question, in case someone else wants to know:

To change the colour of the following text up to the end of the line, you can use the sequence ##x, where x is a digit from 0-9; each digit specifies a different colour.

To change the colour in the middle of a line, then change it back, use ##0 to terminate the colour change. As in:
  • Code: Select all

this word will be ##1highlighted##0 and the rest of the line won't
To embed a link (a pointer to another help file), use the @@ sequence, which is formatted:
  • Code: Select all

@@filename|Text to be displayed@@
    This will be displayed in the help file as Text to be displayed, and clicking on that link in the helpfile will attempt to load the file filename.txt
To display a horizontal line in the middle of the help file, use the sequence:
  • on a line by itself -- with no leading or trailing spaces
Help files must contain only 7-bit ascii -- UTF-8 or unicode text will crash the tmw client (!), which is likely to be a bug

thanks,

aro
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

aroleon wrote:Help files must contain only 7-bit ascii -- UTF-8 or unicode text will crash the tmw client (!), which is likely to be a bug
Isn't that fixed now?
aroleon
Novice
Novice

Post by aroleon »

jaxad0127 wrote:
aroleon wrote:Help files must contain only 7-bit ascii -- UTF-8 or unicode text will crash the tmw client (!), which is likely to be a bug
Isn't that fixed now?
No, it happened to me last week using 0.0.29. Now I know how to use iconv :) . I don't know how to file a bug report, but I can probably recreate the bug for you.

aro