Poisen in the Game

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Monique
Peon
Peon

Poisen in the Game

Post by Monique »

Hi all, 1st, I want to thank all the devs in the game for all their hard work. One thing I don't like though is this issue with so much poisen like shulls, snakes and I believe scorpions too. I know an AWFUL lot of players agree. IF poisen has to stay, PLEASE create at least one poisen free cave where there are only fire skulls, at least this way, we would have a choice.

Respectfully Yours,

Monique Veronique (nique nique) Dion :)
Last edited by Monique on 01 Jun 2009, 19:36, edited 1 time in total.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Re: Poisen in the Game

Post by feline monstrosity »

Oh God, ooooh please don't post in pink.
I personally have never found this a problem, but perhaps people will consider your point when you correct the colour of your post.
8) Ah. That's a little better.
~Feline Monstrosity
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

I see no reason for why there should be a fire-skull only cave. It seems that you are pointing to a different issue of the game that needs to be addressed, namely the rather excess value associated with standing around near skull spawn points.

Meanwhile, we have toned poison down a bit already. This will come in effect after the next server restart. And don't forget that you can buy `slow poison' potions now, though they're not particularly cheap.

-- fate
Savi
Novice
Novice

Re: Poison in the Game

Post by Savi »

I was surprised to be poisoned when I was in north Tulimshar. I didn't know if it was a black scorpion or the maggot that got me. I would suggest that monsters in Tulimshar not have poison. The reason I say that is new players might be turned off by having their small amount of HP disappear and then have to wait until the poison affect wears off.
Another thought is the length of the poison. I just read the post from Fate that the length of time will be changed. I was poisoned in the cave north of Hurnscald and I did drink the potion almost right away. I exited the cave and sat down. The potion wore off over time but the poison effect lasted much longer. It would be nice if the potion length to counter the poison wore off at relatively the same time as the poison effect.
zuo
Peon
Peon

Post by zuo »

Hm, i am 63lvl warrior and i can forget about cave raides, 50 grass snakes tongues or even gaining experience by fighting group of scorpions, that was fun... being poisoned for soo loong with vit 50 is lol, kind of damage it gives as well.

sad thing, i heared that there is a spell lvl2 of healing, soon warriors will be worthless :)

potions aren't cheap, right. so maybe make them poison healing potions? not slowing down? I already spend half of an income into potions, feel like a drug-addict xD

or maybe:

we, fighters of the freedom of New Mines, demand a doctor in the Mining Post! (or in mine ;) )

bless, still game is uber :D
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Re: Poison in the Game

Post by Doulos »

I agree!

The poison seems to bewilder and pester a number of players.

Is this supposed to be some kind of a new cash sink? Get 'em all poisoned and then force 'em to keep buying expensive healing potions?

An odd and unnecessary change, imho
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

gotta fix this economy somehow. Lets do it liberal-style, the more money you have the more you have to pay for potions
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The change was made for balance reasons. There is a magic spell that will cure poison. More tuning is always needed too.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I agree that a warrior loses a lot with the current poison system.

Perhaps several levels of poison?

Poison skulls probably would do the most poison damage, followed by mountain snakes, snakes, black scorpions, etc. but each poison would effect slightly less than the top poison.

I talked to fate and she seems to think an antidote spell would come in handy. I agree, but also I think in a 1/2 hour of poison monster grinding I should only be poisoned once, maybe twice. Otherwise I'm spending somewhere around 4-10k on slow poison potions in that time. This forces more and more people to grind on red slimes just so they can have a little bit of time fighting the higher powered monsters. As most red slimes are located near poisonous monsters, switch fighting to archer or wizard will be constant and cash drain just becomes discouraging.

There isn't much a player merchant can sell to keep up with the cost of slow poison potions, so perhaps the prices could be lowered and/or a monster could drop slow poison potions?

Maybe also luck or some item could be made to make poison resistance more of a possibility?

Just a few ideas. I do like the idea of poison, I just hope it becomes more of a threat of occurrence and less the norm when fighting poison monsters. It takes less than 10 minutes to get poisoned and I'll remain poisoned for almost an entire grind as a warrior, with maybe brief intervals without being poisoned. Not sure how this can be rectified, but I figured I'd throw out a few suggestions.

Jax posted after I was writing this. What can be done so that the balance on poison isn't so treacherous that any and every challenge to a poison monster is an almost guarantee to being poisoned in a near fatal way?
Current character is "Abolish".
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The server has already been restarted with fixes to the poison system. Player stats affect poison in obvious ways. There is another spell that will help defend against poison too (also obvious). And poisonous monsters were rebalanced a bit.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

I think the poison system is okay as long as it's not too severe, so thank you for that devs.. It's not only a money sink, but also prevents botting. And the game needed to be changed up a bit anyways.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Goku wrote:I think the poison system is okay as long as it's not too severe, so thank you for that devs.. It's not only a money sink, but also prevents botting. And the game needed to be changed up a bit anyways.
As long as it's not too severe, agreed. And the botting prevention is always a good thing.

On these points I have no objection.
radiant
Novice
Novice

Post by radiant »

One problem that strikes me is that fire skulls not only get an extra drop that poison skulls don't, but now they're also significantly easier to deal with. A new drop that fits a poison skull would be nice (I've suggested "monster repellent", i.e. "for the next 90 seconds, aggressive monsters won't go after you unprovoked [and possibly also all monsters try to run away from you]," but it's been said that monsters won't be able to compartmentalize that well until TMWserv, so oh well) and maybe a small power boost on the fire skull too would bring them back closer in line with each other.

Does poison currently expire automatically after some time? If you touch poison ivy, the rash doesn't continue growing out of control even several days after the fact; like our auto-healing, it eventually gets better. Having poison fade away after, say, 5-10 minutes would seem natural and make the condition a bit more tolerable to some.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

radiant wrote:Does poison currently expire automatically after some time? If you touch poison ivy, the rash doesn't continue growing out of control even several days after the fact; like our auto-healing, it eventually gets better. Having poison fade away after, say, 5-10 minutes would seem natural and make the condition a bit more tolerable to some.
Each monsters afflicts a different severity and duration of poison. I think they all also have some variance in how much you will get. But it will all wear off.
Tiana
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Tiana »

I am not and have never been a fan of status effects in games. However they are a standard part of most RPG type games. These are my suggestions:

1) Have an equipable object to prevent poison. This should be available to fairly low level characters

2) Have a much harder to get object to prevent ALL status effects. For this I am thinking of the ribbon from the final fantasy games - hard to get and rare, but oh so useful.

There seem to be at least 2 items that could be used; the scarab armlet and the heart necklace. Since these are not visible on the character, making more is easier also for any future status effects. More jewelry!

BTW, I have played around with stats and came to a nice configuration that really helps. But this is really only available to high level players if you actually want to kill anything. Therefore my ideas on items could be useful for those who are at a lower level :)

Perhaps my ideas will be considered!

Tiana
Tiana - former GM of TMW
Forum avatar designed for me by my dear friend skipy