Karate Suit

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Karate Suit

Post by Jaxad0127 »

The lighting looks to be from the NW. It should be from the SW (lower left from the player's view).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

First: it would look better when you would stop using bright outlines. It works well for stationary objects but our sprites all have dark outlines.

Second: It looks too smooth because you are using too smooth color gradients. The core of pixel art is trying to archieve graphical effects with as few colors as possible. Try to cellshade it with only a base color, a highlight shade and one or maybe two dark shades. When the color cells look too separated try to blend the colors using dithering.
Last edited by Crush on 17 Aug 2008, 20:39, edited 1 time in total.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This is how I would do it:
(note that I also did some corrections at the outline of the arms)
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

Ah okay, you are right, that looks much better than too many pixel.
I will use your example to do the rest of the animations.
Hope at the end you will be suprised how it looks like. :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, after a short cosmetical operation, the movement looks like that... (Jumps a lil' bit, 'cause of the bad cuttin') :)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Now, I also did some work to the collar of the suit. There were some differences with the pixel, so the movement looked like the char was shaking his head. But now I know the most of the problems, I will post the complete suit animation, if it's ready!
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

I did a lil' work on the animation but now I have to slow down, because of the end of my holidays... :(
But first I will show you, how it now would look like.
Please say me, weather it's more okay or worse. And if, what I also have to do, to make things look better!
Thanks for you help!!! :)

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The lower parts of the suit should flap while walking. This won't be easy but it just doesn't look ok as long as it is that static.
  • NOT a game master

yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

Crush wrote:The lower parts of the suit should flap while walking. This won't be easy but it just doesn't look ok as long as it is that static.
exactly, now it looks like an armor, not loose cloth
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

Hey guys! :)

I know I was away for a while, so I thaught maybe I could look around here and see what's happened to my Karate Suit. But now I see, that badly noone liked to work on my prototype, that's very sad. *hehe*

So I only wanted to say that, yes I'm back and going to try out new ones. But I believe first I should try a few easier stuffs like Gloves or so on.

But for everybody: Please, feel free to work on my Karate Suit prototye. ;)
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

Hey guys...

So I decided, that 'till next week I will be working on a more flexible type of the old Karate Suit and than post it up here.

I also made some Ideas of the ranking system of the Suits, and I choosed the TKD Ranking System of the ITBF so ther would be these different types:

White Belt = 10. Kup Karate Suit
Yellow Belt = 8. Kup Karate Suit
Green Belt = 6. Kup Karate Suit
Blue Belt = 4. Kup Karate Suit
Brown Belt = 2. Kup Karate Suit
Black Belt = DAN Karate Suit

Think the working on the different Types would take the most of the time, so 'till next week.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

LuCo wrote:Hey guys...

So I decided, that 'till next week I will be working on a more flexible type of the old Karate Suit and than post it up here.

I also made some Ideas of the ranking system of the Suits, and I choosed the TKD Ranking System of the ITBF so ther would be these different types:

White Belt = 10. Kup Karate Suit
Yellow Belt = 8. Kup Karate Suit
Green Belt = 6. Kup Karate Suit
Blue Belt = 4. Kup Karate Suit
Brown Belt = 2. Kup Karate Suit
Black Belt = DAN Karate Suit

Think the working on the different Types would take the most of the time, so 'till next week.
If they're just color changes, then you can use the dye system to do it. So one set of sprites would do all of them.
LuCo
Peon
Peon

Post by LuCo »

jaxad0127 wrote:If they're just color changes, then you can use the dye system to do it. So one set of sprites would do all of them.
Sounds great, do you know wether I got this function on GIMP 2 too? Mine is on german so may you could disribe?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

It's something the client does. You'll just make one with the recolorable parts in a specific color and the client will change that when it loads the image.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The recolorisation system is described here:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Image_dyeing
  • NOT a game master

Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

and then a quest that will allow you to reach higher levels to have the right to wear a higher color level belt... no ? in that case that makes sens to me to have different colors. no ?

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Jumpy wrote:and then a quest that will allow you to reach higher levels to have the right to wear a higher color level belt... no ? in that case that makes sens to me to have different colors. no ?

Regards
Doable.