Graveyard Tombstones

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Graveyard Tombstones

Post by Crush »

I took the gravestones by Yosuhara plus the two engraved stones from Woodland_ground and changed their color palette to a cold grey to contrast with the warm grey from the walls.
Attachments
graveyardwall-maptest-2.png
graveyardwall-maptest-2.png (434.97 KiB) Viewed 2798 times
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Pandemonium
Peon
Peon

Post by Pandemonium »

It look alright....
1 or 2 tiles of grass in front of the stones wouldn't be to bad, eh? That is unless in TMW we put our dead vertical under the stone...

I really feel the wood_land stones fit the game so much better (they are the small rounded ones, correct?).... maybe we could fashion up some taller ones... with more writings on them.

I'll try to have something to show in a few days... or sooner perhaps.

Pan

PS: the wall tiles are not finished, are they?
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

Heheh, Pandemonium - I was thinking the same thing myself about the walls. They don't quite fit in - yet, I hope. They look good, but not if they're a finished product. It is true, though - the old woodland stones just look so much better! Who drew those?
Also, the dead aren't buried standing up! They're the graves of soldiers who died in the Great War of Bombs in '86.
That's not the finished design of the graveyard, is it? Is it? Is it!?

~better look nice once it's done...
Enchilado
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Can you please be a bit more specific regarding what the wall tiles are missing?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
tomminator
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by tomminator »

the walls look brand new, they need cracks and pieces broken of.

also i think they should not be made from one piece. most walls are made from stones put on each other.

just my 2 cents
This is not a placeholder
Pandemonium
Peon
Peon

Post by Pandemonium »

oops.. I redirected the thread...
I've made my comment in the other tread...
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... 762#p57762

I've made an attempt at recreating the look of the wood_land stones but my initial design has poor angle and the coloring and shading is way off...
Pandemonium
Peon
Peon

Post by Pandemonium »

First off i want to note that the File I used to draw my headstone on, was called 'Curltree' It had the characters and the background I was looking for for a size reference. I want to give props to the Original Artist who made the file... But I dunno who made it Just found it through some random link swimming...
Big Thanks just the same!

So now for the Headstone. It is modeled to look as close to the woodland rocks as i could, By using the same colors I think I got it about right.
The arch shape is to get away from the boringness of the normal head stones and it has the right feel for the rest of the art IMO... Its a tad whimsical but still to the point.

Once I get this one just right different shapes and sizes will easy.
Feed back welcome! :)
Pan
Attachments
HeadstoneREV6.png
HeadstoneREV6.png (13.18 KiB) Viewed 2636 times
Pandemonium
Peon
Peon

Post by Pandemonium »

I canned the last one...

I did bring some more drafts though.
Headstone2REV10.jpg
Headstone2REV10.jpg (34.92 KiB) Viewed 2579 times
meway
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by meway »

the bottom rite one looks like a foot i don't really like the original shape of a baseball diamond its kind of lame and like the ones that already existed although these are much better than those im talking about. your art is done very well on a good note btw.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

1. its a .jpg and .jpg sucks for pixelart, please save it as a .png
2. we don't want any existing religious symbols ingame.
Pandemonium
Peon
Peon

Post by Pandemonium »

meway wrote:the bottom rite one looks like a foot i don't really like the original shape of a baseball diamond its kind of lame and like the ones that already existed although these are much better than those im talking about. your art is done very well on a good note btw.
Dam it does look like a foot... that is a fancy Headstone, probably to big anyhow.
So you like the stone ones just not the foot and baseball diamond ones?

EJlol wrote:1. its a .jpg and .jpg sucks for pixelart, please save it as a .png
2. we don't want any existing religious symbols ingame.
1. A jpg is fine for showing drafts. for later drafts I'll make a point to make it a png just for you ;)
2. there are only 2 religious symbols both are crosses... both made of wood... I highly doubt they would put wood in the graveyard... I just made them to practice... What about the other ones?
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

Practice is always good. anyway, I can't give much comments about the other ones because the .jpg makes it a really bad quality.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

They are too blurred with the grass. They might even appear as though they are laying down. Also there is no interaction with grass at the base. The stones should be darker, too, to match the current set. Try placing yours along side those to compare. Just some notes, and who knows it could be a jpg thing.

About the overall shapes and design: I like the top right one the most. If the bottom were squared to the ground and edited in the above ways, I would think it ideal.

Also, in my opinion, lose the RIP cliche.

Its good work though, you are talented keep working. Also I will now always associate you with the guy standing on the other guys head, both sporting Beatles haircuts. Great acrobatics.
Pandemonium
Peon
Peon

Post by Pandemonium »

John P wrote:They are too blurred with the grass. They might even appear as though they are laying down. Also there is no interaction with grass at the base. The stones should be darker, too, to match the current set. Try placing yours along side those to compare. Just some notes, and who knows it could be a jpg thing.

About the overall shapes and design: I like the top right one the most. If the bottom were squared to the ground and edited in the above ways, I would think it ideal.

Also, in my opinion, lose the RIP cliche.

Its good work though, you are talented keep working. Also I will now always associate you with the guy standing on the other guys head, both sporting Beatles haircuts. Great acrobatics.

That character part was from the 'Curltree' file I found. I use it for size reference, Its not of my making... but the headstones are.

So more defined outline, some work on prospective... lose the RIP...

To replace the RIP, what about the TMW logo mentioned earlier in the thread?

I think adding grass and a defining the outline will make them pop up a bit more, witch will help the prospective.
The over grown grass color is something I'm worried about... if i use the same colors in the grass the shading can get lost and thus a loss of prospective... Any ideas or thoughts?

Thanks for the feedback
Pan
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

Pandemonium wrote:First off i want to note that the File I used to draw my headstone on, was called 'Curltree' It had the characters and the background I was looking for for a size reference. I want to give props to the Original Artist who made the file... But I dunno who made it Just found it through some random link swimming...
It's by Modanung.
Retired from TMW; incomplete projects looking for a dev:
Cave foliage (plants up the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5659
Cave wetwalls (water down the walls): http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5816