Winter Town

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Re: Winter Town

Post by Hello=) »

Crush wrote:
Savi wrote:ice skull
Monique wrote:Jacko-Frost
anotherone wrote:red slimes.
Coolkid 782 wrote:icebats
Come on, guys! Don't you have any really new ideas for monsters which go beyond recycling what we already have?
How about ghosts? They're basically very hard to strike with a mechanical damage (hitting air is really hard) but could suffer from magic. And uhm, their animations probably can be shamelessly "borrowed" from "Battle for Wesnoth" (it's GPLed :mrgreen:). Though this is a bit opposite to initial post, sorry.

There could also be another kind of monsters as well. Maybe some dragons or similar magic creatures? (with magic nature) so they have a good resistance to magic attacks and even maybe some magic counter-attacks so it would be much smarter to use swords instead.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

t3st3r wrote:And uhm, their animations probably can be shamelessly "borrowed" from "Battle for Wesnoth" (it's GPLed :mrgreen:). Though this is a bit opposite to initial post, sorry.
*sigh* We already went through with this. The Wesnoth sprites have a different style, different scale, different perspective and too few animation phases.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Post by Hello=) »

Crush wrote:sigh* We already went through with this. The Wesnoth sprites have a different style, different scale, different perspective and too few animation phases.
Uhm, looks like you're more familiar with technical details - it was just some idea. Possibly stupid enough (about "borrowing") :wink:. But still as for me, it will be great if there will be ghosts. Also, uhm, how about some skeletons? Those are always making gameplay more funny and I's seen 'em in multiple games :wink:.
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Post by EJlol »

*sigh* http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5855 Just give them some time to release it ingame.
knulfine
Novice
Novice

Post by knulfine »

I like the idea of a magic free zone. Even if I am heading to become a pure magic-character. I can totally understand that some people don't wanna see others practicing their magic everywhere.

some ideas:
- a little area where you can't walk normal but slide a bit (frozen lake or something) with some monsters on it
- a new big boss -> a walking christmas tree which throws little presents at you.
- a new big boss -> a snowman or yeti or something like that which throws snowballs at you
- Is it possible to make an animation like rain just with snow flake... So there would be some snowflakes floating around. Not too much because of lag. Just a few. (So no cloud animation there but snowflakes)

EDIT:
I just gave it a try to create the two "big boss"-ideas. I don't know how to make them move so it's just two pictures I made with gimp.
Attachments
bad christmas tree. Out of it's mouth came the presents which  hit you
bad christmas tree. Out of it's mouth came the presents which hit you
xmastree.png (25.9 KiB) Viewed 2389 times
frosty the badman :D He'd slide on the ground and throw snowballs at you.
frosty the badman :D He'd slide on the ground and throw snowballs at you.
frosty-bad.png (16.8 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
Last edited by knulfine on 14 Jun 2009, 15:11, edited 1 time in total.
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

You could do an attacking christmas tree similar to the way the flower attacks. The top of the tree would attack players and throw stars or garland.
knulfine
Novice
Novice

Post by knulfine »

Oh no... my bad bosses look cute... :lol:
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Magic limitations... hm... why not? :)

Post by Hello=) »

EJlol wrote:*sigh* http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5855 Just give them some time to release it ingame.
Sounds promising :wink:

Btw, about limiting magic... it could be a good idea to limit some magic types or levels on some (not very common) types of terrain, etc. Uhm, let's say, something similar to "cursed ground" in HMM games - in HMM you can't cast anything (except very few basic spells) when fighting on "cursed ground" terrain, this virtually eliminates magic usage (due to lack of useful spells to cast) and does not looks artificial, etc. Also, it could be a good idea to create few "opposite" areas where "magic flows in the air" so wizards can cast magic more efficiently and/or at reduced costs in such areas (let's say, double efficiency, etc). These could be for example, some areas nearly mana seed, etc (where magic should flow in the air for sure).

Do not know if these ideas are stupid or maybe too hard to implement. I guess it could be fairly easy to implement such system as server-side scripts in way similar to some already existing spells checking their coordinates + some tilesets reflecting special areas, but I have no idea if this will harm server performance, etc.

P.S. yes, I got some very basic ideas on how magic handled right now by eAthena. I was constantly failing on some quest for a numerous tries (old tree in a desert) and this forced me to look into server-side sources to check if my actions were correct and I'm doing things properly for the quest and what's the hell is going on, as some kind of last resort. Btw, devs may want to see bug 733 in bug tracker, it has been marked as "private" by me for some reasons and all this mess caused me to try to "use source, Luke" after many fruitless attempts to complete quest by fair means :mrgreen: (and as extra bonus I has figured out that I tried to do right things as well as that magic could be sensitive to it's coordinates, though I never managed to see how this works, probably due to lack of luck in spellcasting and some excessive luck in getting weird issues reported in the bug 733).
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Gouki,
I've been working on a snow wolf sprite slowly... and I should probably post a thread with the line art to give some other artists something to finish out or to redo all together (technically I'm aiming to make it re-colorable for other uses... but Lora Tay does mention snow wolves in game).

There's been talk of modeling a snow man monster in this thread after the existing jack-o monster... If one is made, it hopefully is made from scratch to retain more variety within the game... this one sounds fun to make, so I'd expect someone to jump on starting this. It's a great opportunity for begging pixel artists (just watch out for pillow shading! You'll want to look that up, because I can tell you now that will be a hazard on making this monster for beginners!)

Modanung started a yeti like sprite a while back, please check earlier in this thread for it, and if you're interested in helping flesh out the remainder of it's sheet, please check with him to ensure he doesn't have plans to continue it first (so we're not overlapping efforts). It's a nice little sprite that would give Nivalis (the snow town) additional character.

I also started a seagull for Tulimshar's sea port area.. but I might not work on these more until we start focusing on the Trade/Port towns. It would be nice to see some ice fowl of some kind (but hopefully not a direct "Penguin" something more creative would be cool).

Just IMO. :D
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
pateame

Post by pateame »

Its true, Iceland is abandoned since Spock and Kirk landed there.
I like the Modanung's Yeti monster because is similar to fluffy fur, so we could use that fur to create
winter clothes or do some quest there. I wish somebody complete it, or create a new monster using that base.
I try to do something with it (on front view looks like a dog :? )
ImageImage
But its really hard to draw small fluffy things, im sure that Modanung can help better with that work.
culikr
Peon
Peon

Post by culikr »

Hi Why not add some snow birds on the are. better
One element type for each area
For example the desert could have an earth bird. and the beach an fire one

Regards
Luiz