Sprite layering

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Sprite layering

Post by Kage »

I personal want to use the sprite layering for all NPCs
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: List of Essential Projects

Post by Crush »

I don't want to use sprite layering for NPCs because this discourages us from creating NPCs with different poses, body shapes or animations.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Crush wrote:I don't want to use sprite layering for NPCs because this discourages us from creating NPCs with different poses, body shapes or animations.
We can do layering with both animations, custom poses, and body shapes. I said layering, doesn't mean based on the player sprite set.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Layering the basic player sprite and all of the monster sprites would also potentially reduce pixel artist workload and ease development.
This message used to be meaningful.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Sprite layering

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We can already layer NPC and monster sprites.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

Ah this is where that thread went, Crush forked it on me :P
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

IMHO, keep on creating separate animated NPCs, but encourage the development of the frames to be done "unclothed" (but with the undies in tact of course) whenever possible so choice movements can be leached for the development of other NPCS or hopefully for the use in the extended playerset. The clothing and other layers for the frames would still of course be needed for the NPCs, but I'm suggesting work on these as separate layers of course.

Obviously not all of the NPC's need to be as lively as the others, but a good mix is preferable... that's why I've been working on an animated eyeball sheet layer for the player sprites (blinking, wandering stare, etc.) [which thank you Modanung for keeping the eyes basically the same frame to frame! It's just the offsets for reusing my frames that are the annoying part to configure.] Skin scars, facial tattoos and other facial masking sheets would be nice as well to help liven up the friendly NPCs and mobs that use the player sprites (thieves, bandit, etc.).

It'd almost be better to split up the player sprites into head, torso, arms, and legs as Jax has suggested several times. :wink:
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Also that split might finally give us a usable playerset so we could get going with animating equipment etc.
This message used to be meaningful.