Price of Death!

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Demonoid
Peon
Peon

Price of Death!

Post by Demonoid »

Hi!

Don't know if this was posted before but why DEATH has no effect in TMW?
Isn't it some kind of lame and wouldn't it be an enrichment if you could add something that happens with the player after death.

For Example:

Money Loss ( 1000Gp after level 10)
XP Drain by 1-3 Percent
Skull at statusbar which let hit low or slow
1 HP after Revive and not half HP as usual

Thanks!

Demo
TMW changed my Life! Let it change yours! Start playing!
Goku
Knight
Knight

Re: Price of Death!

Post by Goku »

TMW is a happy place!
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Demonoid
Peon
Peon

Post by Demonoid »

TMW would still be a happy place but more interresting if death has some negative side-effects.
For example in Runescape if you die as a PKer you'll loose all and if not you'll keep 3 things, that's a lil' bit hard I think.
TMW changed my Life! Let it change yours! Start playing!
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

I think you should lose all XP for that level. This may be tough for higher-leveled players who take a lot longer to go up a level and have collected a lot more XP to lose, but, after all, higher-leveled players are less likely to get themselves killed.

~don't punish with death, punish for death!
Enchilado
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

problem is when you are very loowwww level... it takes already a lots of time to kill one maggot or one scorpion imagine the time needed to get enought hp to combatg again...

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

ahahahahah

don't make me laught :) do some cave cleaning with a lvl 94 char you'll see how death comes fast :D

ahahahahah

i love those jokes you made here

with all my regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Afterlife Jax is proposing what ultimately would be a time cost for a character that dies. I like the idea. In Aethyra (which uses eAthena as TMW currently does) there is a small cash loss, but it isn't very effective in making me fear death because the amount lost is trivial. Also various problems with the server and/or client (like lag) could cause character death, so I would hate to see a severe penalty for dying.
Current character is "Abolish".
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Wombat wrote:http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Afterlife Jax is proposing what ultimately would be a time cost for a character that dies.
That article was mostly written and conceptualized by me.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ginaria
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ginaria »

"http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Afterlife Crush+Jax is proposing what ultimately would be a time cost for a character that dies. I like the idea." (by Wombat)

I like the idea too, but it takes a long time to implement this idea!

Until this solution, I prefer this idea by Enchilado as a quick fix...

"I think you should lose all XP for that level. This may be tough for higher-leveled players who take a lot longer to go up a level and have collected a lot more XP to lose, but, after all, higher-leveled players are less likely to get themselves killed."

I like it, because a new unexperienced player, who dies fast, losing only few XP, that is okay and no problem. And a highleveled character should know, how he/she can survive at Mana World and dont losing XP through death.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Crush wrote:
Wombat wrote:http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Afterlife Jax is proposing what ultimately would be a time cost for a character that dies.
That article was mostly written and conceptualized by me.
Sweet, good idea.
Ginaria wrote: Until this solution, I prefer this idea by Enchilado as a quick fix...

"I think you should lose all XP for that level. This may be tough for higher-leveled players who take a lot longer to go up a level and have collected a lot more XP to lose, but, after all, higher-leveled players are less likely to get themselves killed."

I like it, because a new unexperienced player, who dies fast, losing only few XP, that is okay and no problem. And a highleveled character should know, how he/she can survive at Mana World and dont losing XP through death.
Ginaria, have you fought any of the higher level areas in the game? The mortality rate is very high for characters at all levels and the game would need a full rebalance to make everything easier to keep characters alive. Forget about ever going into the snake pit or other monster mobbed area with penalties like that. Poison would have to become much less threatening. I've spent 3 months working on about 30 million xp and I've died at least 30 times during this period. Everyone would become spawn campers and the sense of adventure would lose with such high penalties for character death.
Current character is "Abolish".
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Gold/exp loss would be easy to do.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Something like 1% or even 4% xp loss on death would radically change how people level up.
This message used to be meaningful.
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

"http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/Afterlife Crush+Jax is proposing what ultimately would be a time cost for a character that dies. I like the idea." (by Wombat)
If time cost is the intended penalty (which I think will be nice) maybe it can be done in a easier and simpler way.

¿Why not give the character a "resurrected" status for a while after he resurrects and make him be unable to fight for a period of time?

Perhaps.. design some kind of special emoticon or effect around the character while this status is active, to make it more entertaining. Maybe make his skin be very pale or look like a zombie and unequip all his stuff. A bit like a humiliation. Or make him be a bit semitransparent, as if it was a ghost.

EDIT:
Perhaps... as another option "the realm of death" could be implemented, but instead of the big and hard to code maze make it be just a dark hallowen town with no exits. When you are killed you spawn there with the "undead" status that will last for.. say... 30 minutes. After the status is gone you can talk to a NPC in a boat that will take you to the town you choose (only if you have not the "undead" status).

I know that 30 minutes can be too long for many people, specially if you keep dieing. That's why you can still find ways to skip the waiting totally and at the same time keep you entertained.

Around the town (or in some near map) you can search for some plants who drop special white herbs that can cure the "undead" status (you really have to search for the plant, it only grows in that place and it is rare to find the herb, although the drop rate of the herb is nearly 100%) ... in the town of death maybe there's also some NPC who can sell the herbs to you in exchange of gold or experience (like if it was some pact with the devil in exchange of your soul), or whatever.

This way the death has a penalty but it's not too rough.. there are several optional ways for skipping it in exchange of something or you can just chat around with your friends while waiting (who maybe also died, this is something that happens to me frequently). It can keep people entertained if they want, or just make them stop playing for a while if they wanna rest. And perhaps this is not as hard to do as the maze (which maybe some players won't like that much).

Anyway, the maze idea could still be doable for some forest or some other place in the mana world, it would be easier and better if it changed for everyone the same way, so that you can do party while exploring the maze (going solo is not fun, thats one of the reasons why I don't like the death maze idea), having loops that make you crazy and finding sometimes different surprises in different hidden parts of the forest. Maybe a hidden small town with a tribe living there who sell some exclusive stuff. It could be nice.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

hi,

let's make first a statement : I am not against the idea of realm of death or giving a penalty to players that easely die or prefer to die than walking to arrive in town faster :)

second point would be around ideas so that those moments you have to spend in realm of death would be useful and playable moments (not just opening the computer during all night and making your 4 h 00 penalties,...)

and why not (idea) some "work"-"task" people would have to do in order to get back in their country (city Tulimshar or Hurnscale or other places when they'll be in game. Why not some duties to contribute to the gods arising on tmw.
there can be a lots of things
preparing fire for the lights in the temples or whatever places in which the gods have their monuments
shining chrystals
heal mobs on all kind
prepare food that would go to npc that would make drops party only for new comer in game
taking care of trees
digging caves, tunnels to fight a way to the light

thinking of a sentence also i saw in the message of death... why not having someone you assume to be the one to get your legacy... you die part of your pertenencies goes to someone you agreed with and if you did not find someone to trust well they will go to the community.
mariage, divorce, legacy... just another step

just ideas thrown on the post...
not proposal, just ideas

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Porter
Peon
Peon

Post by Porter »

My Opinion

I would find it very frustrating if I lost all my exp when I died, same with losing money. I used to play runescape, but got bored of it and the Mana World is way better even tho it is smaller. THE MANA WORLD SHOULD NOT BECOME LIKE RUNESCAPE AND GIVE DEATH PENALTIES, but instead just minor penalties like what like what jumpy stated with serving the mana gods and stuff, but I my self serving the gods for like an hour, the gods will lose their servant, maybe, maybe a minute, that might be okay...I guess.