Different Music

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Irvine
Novice
Novice

Different Music

Post by Irvine »

There should be some sort of music change when you engage an enemy or something. It would be pretty cool. No i dont know how to make music for games like thjat but i would like to help. Any programs i would need?
Porter
Peon
Peon

Re: Different Music

Post by Porter »

only a noob would want different music, lol jk. yeah even tho the music doesn't work on mine there should be a variety of music, but I wouldn't want to bother the developers with a little thing like music.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

If on the long run music would be composited on the run, this could be possible to pull of fluently.

So far no one has even thought of how to possibly implement this.
This message used to be meaningful.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Reminds me of pokemon games.. :P

I don't think it would work too well here though, especially if the monster is killed in one hit.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Goku wrote:I don't think it would work too well here though, especially if the monster is killed in one hit.
The Legend of Zelda games handle that just fine. Of course, Nintendo has resources to pour into complex music systems.
dariunas
Novice
Novice

Post by dariunas »

Irvine wrote:There should be some sort of music change when you engage an enemy or something. It would be pretty cool. No i dont know how to make music for games like thjat but i would like to help. Any programs i would need?
In agreement with Goku here - chances are, in many areas, you'll be jumping between the intro of two tracks every 5-10 seconds, unless the coding allows for your 'exploration' track to crossfade into another track and pause, then resume once the 'battle' track is over. :|

Even if the coding was in place to do such a thing, would be very tricky to pull off well in a game of this type. In modern Zelda games, there can be plenty of travelling or movement in between engaging enemies.

It also requires a very focused effort on the part of the composer to ensure that the transitions can occur seamlessly.

A nice idea, even as a composer, I think if the resources for enchanced programming are in place, music considerations of this complexity would rank as a lower priority than the equivalent level of gameplay mechanics, graphic and even sound FX...

Earlier games of the 16bit area like Zelda: A Link to The Past had no problem in succeeding without this kind of music behaviour and the main division was between battle and non-battle areas. I still play the game today on GBA and the music is still very convincing and atmospheric...

If you'd like to compose some music and not sure about software, check out
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =21&t=4072

You could always try demos too...

The sound development forum should have pretty much all the resources and direction you might need to get you going... I think the usual method is, select an area which requires music (post to ask if you're not sure), then compose a prospective piece, get feedback and adjust your composition based on that if it needs it, then it's just repeating the processs till the developers (will be Rotonen and Crush on that front) are happy with it :)