Music transitions

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Music transitions

Post by feline monstrosity »

At the moment the change in music when moving between areas is very sudden. Would it be possible to add a simple transition like a fade out when moving between areas (not a fade in though, it spoils the beginning of a track)? This would make it sound much nicer imho.
~Feline Monstrosity
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Music transitions

Post by Rotonen »

A nicer way of doing this would be to dynamically compose the music on the fly from different arrangements. This would be a huge leap both technically and artistically and hence I don't see it as a realistic alternative for many years to come.
This message used to be meaningful.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Rotonen wrote:A nicer way of doing this would be to dynamically compose the music on the fly from different arrangements. This would be a huge leap both technically and artistically and hence I don't see it as a realistic alternative for many years to come.
You've mentioned this idea a couple of times now but you never specified what exactly this "dynamic composition system" is supposed to be able to do. Can you maybe elaborate on this a bit?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Composers define into their compositions where the interchangeable points are. At these points we can fluently switch to other pieces, which include: different mood themes for the piece in question (peaceful, normal aggressive/combat) or neighbouring themes. This would also require different elements like at least rhythm and theme to be split into different tracks and sections. I do not see this viable for years to come, so I might just as well stop mentioning my dreams of such a system for a while.

As for this topic perhaps location based sounds would help: the music center would be in the center of the map and hence it would naturally fade towards the edges.
This message used to be meaningful.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

That sounds really interesting and I would actually quite like to be involved in development of such an idea. I think that deserves its own discussion thread, but it's much more of a long term thing. I was suggesting something much simpler which I think would just make the game feel a little nicer and more professional. Seriously though, start a thread and elaborate on that idea, I'd love to give that a try.
~Feline Monstrosity
aroleon
Novice
Novice

Post by aroleon »

Far Cry uses a music system that plays a musical "mood", then adds "danger music" and "other stuff" (can you tell I'm not a musician?) as the player moves through the map. http://www.crytek.com/technology/cryeng ... ons/#c1117

I believe LucasArts also has some kind of "interactive music system", but I haven't experienced it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IMUSE.

also google for "cryengine interactive dynamic music system" and filter a lot of junk :)

aro