8 axis sprite

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

kaelonlloyd
Peon
Peon

8 axis sprite

Post by kaelonlloyd »

I'm probably not the first person to notice that there are no sprites for the diagonal movement of the characters, is their any reason that they can't have diagonal sprites?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: 8 axis sprite

Post by Crush »

Yes.

Adding diagonal animations would not only double the number of animation phases needed for the playerset but also for every single piece of equipment. Adding new frames to the player sprites increases the work necessary for creating new equipment and thus would mean less equipment variety which would lower gameplay quality.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
adamaix
Novice
Novice
Location: A secret garden hidden deep in the woods of Hurnscald

Post by adamaix »

Quadruple, to be precise :wink:
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Nope, double. We got everything in four directions and adding diagonals would add four additional directions (when you leave mirroring out of the equation - when you do not it is slightly less because two directions can be reused instead of just one for some items).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.