Graphics Question

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Clothes or Job Sprites?

Clothes
89%
Job Sprites
11%

Total votes: 28
Genis
Novice
Novice

Graphics Question

Post by Genis »

Should the game have different sprites for every job/clss like in RO. Or should there be like one male and female sprites with a lot of different clothes, like you actually see what items your wearing?
Vote i guess
Sorry...I only speak English
Ultramichy
Peon
Peon

Post by Ultramichy »

i Think we just need Sprites just for Clothes.

and then make it so that some Classes can only wear light armor, or Class spezified Clothes :-D.

like this:

Class Priest : Can only wear Light Armor, and only Staff, Dagger and Mace's.

Fighter : All sort of Armor and weapons.

Magican : Only Robes, and Staffs. And some Daggers.
Sorry for my bad english.

I'm from Germany.
Ardaen
Peon
Peon

Post by Ardaen »

I don't think we should have a rigid class/job system. I know such systems are common in games, but that doesn't mean its a good thing. Some games like say, fallout, don't use class systems.

If for a job I work in a library, that doesn't mean I can't run out and use a broadsword (assuming I'm strong enough to pick it up ;)) I may not be skilled with the broadsword at first, but I can still use it, practice with it, and become proficient with it, even though I'm still a "librarian".

So: Clothes.
Nevilytis
Peon
Peon

Post by Nevilytis »

Well, I dont think you should have a class system at all becuase a clothing system allows for classes to be thought up through creativeity... but you have to find some way to even the field by making father class.

Example: Swordsman all have swords so that includes knights, paladins, stuff like that.... then it makes it easy for a person to call themself a white/holy knight or black/dark knight.

[silly idea but it could happen] clothing could also allow for someone to come up with a pirate class.
RRC
Novice
Novice

Post by RRC »

same opinion there nev, plus it will be much easier for the programmers/etc...

ponders where the graphic team went to...
-=-=- The Mana World Graphics Designer -=-=-
neorice

Post by neorice »

Perhaps it could be clothes based however certain classes/jobs are not able to wear certain clothes/ use certain weapons, Some classes "refuse" to use certain weapons, some classes are unable to use certain weapons; A mage though strong in mind will only become a mage if he focuses on magic powers; so wouldn't have the strenght to wear a full plate-male.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Definitely clothes.. Just gives a LOT more individuality.. And since there'd be class specific items, people would recognize the classes..
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I'll throw my ideas in the mix here:
Clothes, definately, are the way to go. Leaves a lot more flexibility in terms of what characters look like, and it means making a lot less full sprites.

As to the job/class question, there's a rather different system that's been kicking around in my head for a while, you might think about it: job/class doesn't have a great deal of effect. What you do in game, what actions you take, determine how your stats grow (for instance, if you generally engage in a lot of melee, you get better with melee weapons; if you use a lot of magic, you get better at spellcasting; if you run away a lot, you get faster). Weapons and items, in this case, would be stat-based (can't use this sword unless you're x strong), with the exception of job-based items and equipment, which you can only use if you have the appropriate job (in this case, it would be technically unnecessary to have a job at all, you'd just get some bonuses if you got one). I've always found it kind of rediculous how people can basically cheat the system in many games by deciding how to structure their character, even if their structure is only geared toward one final skill/spell and doesn't reflect how they play up until the point at which they get that skill.

Just an idea, but I like it...
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Talaroc wrote:(in this case, it would be technically unnecessary to have a job at all, you'd just get some bonuses if you got one)
I'm for removing the job system as we know it from RO. Indeed which weapon you can wield and stuff can be stats based. Jobs could still be interesting, but I'd prefer them to be like recruitment, like work for some guy who has hero stuff to do (quests). Maybe he wants to offer a rodent cleaning service in the village, and needs some heros to do the job. Another thing would be offering safe transport where you'd bring some dude from one place to another.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

i dislike the RO job thingy .. well for what is it good ???
getting to another status? well for that you dun need a job system

anyway i like the clothes-based thingy :D

bjorn: for that transport thingy .. i guess warping is not that good...
at least not this far-warping we know from RO..
well we could make transport similar to the transport thingy in SoM

and with kinda master map even a dragon or airplane or what ever would be possible..
ElvenProgrammer wrote:Maci: don't be rude, we're here to help people ;)
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

I personally like RO's jobs system (to an extent; I have some issues with it...). It's an extra layer on things, and complex, layered gameplay keeps me much more engaged than an "I hero! Kill monster! Yearg!" type of game does.

As for transport...I wasn't very fond of the transport in SoM. The cannon brothers would only take you to a couple of places, and the overmap was so pixeallated that it sometimes got hard to see where you were when riding Flammie. I agree that full warping isn't all that great, but what about this: have some warping, but only as a mid-level spell (probably one that consumes a fair amount of mana). Non-magic users and low-level magic users use a commercial transport service, which is (here's another of my beefs with Cannon Bros) different in different cities. It always bugs me in RPGs when some service is utterly standard and homogenized throughout the world, regardless of climate, culture, or at-war status.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

well .. you are right .. but warping isnt the right thing at all... .. a bit of spelling is okay .. maybe to "fly" to another area that really is not far but you get to a secure place ..
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I don't like the RO's job system, as for the clothes it means less flexibility to create your character. In my opinion a stat based character as in UO (or at least when I played it), you have some stat points to distribute over different skills. If I want to be an alchemist wizard, I can, if I want to be a knight and create weapons I can, if I want to be a player that can do everything but not so good, I can...

About warping I was thinking about a far-warping system to go from a continent to another, let's say you can find dragon transports in the capital cities and can fly only toward another capital. These travels should be very very expensive. Then we can add a cannon travel system to travel to specific areas inside a continent, as unreachable areas or whatever else. Then to get to not so far places the only way it's to have an healthy walk.
maci
Knight
Knight

Post by maci »

Code: Select all

About warping I was thinking about a far-warping system to go from a continent to another, let's say you can find dragon transports in the capital cities and can fly only toward another capital. These travels should be very very expensive. Then we can add a cannon travel system to travel to specific areas inside a continent, as unreachable areas or whatever else. Then to get to not so far places the only way it's to have an healthy walk.

yeah i love that idea..
and of course it takes time to travel to another continent/country/whatever
imorgado
Novice
Novice

Fly away

Post by imorgado »

I think that everything as RO Portal or UO Kal vas por it's bad for game play.

first of all. We will create a large game, with lot of beauty scenary, we want that all players see them, praise them, love them. ;-)

If we create a more reasonable world with 3/4 dominant/in war kingdons, warp portals should not be possible.

Imagine:

King Asmodeu is an ally of Lord Brinbor. But Asmodeu's concil says attack Brinbor kingdom now.

Asmodeu call 2 wizards and says: Open a BIG PORTAL to the my good old friend Brinbor's room. Then a BIG army arrives in Lord Brinbor castle in 5 seconds. And kill all at night.

We should remember about Troia war. Position is everything.

In ancient past when I was an UO GM. I developed some niceties.

First:

Mana cost based in distance (10 tiles /mana). To arrive in somewhere as: ANOTHER CONTINENT, (3000 tiles) it should use 300 mana (nobody has).

Every 10 tiles you have 1 tile away randomness. It I teletransport myself in 1500 tiles away, I should recieve a random position in 150 max tiles, In every direction (avoiding proibited places).

Casting time was based on distance 1 second per 10 tiles, cast that big spell should cost 5 minutes casting.

Higher distances, lesser sucess chances (dropping 0.02/tile), casting a 3000 tiles spell should reduce success in 60% percent, YES it's very difficult.

Casting portal it's same thing but rates are higher, transport yourself it's difficult, transport party it's worse.

I have created some anti-warp zones, as cities and sacred places.

I have created anti-warp spell (using magic runes)

I think that this is a good idea