Which music for the graveyard?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Which music for the graveyard?

Post by Crush »

As you know we are currently working on a new graveyard area and there are several candidates for the soundtrack.

Music by feline monstrosity: http://forums.themanaworld.org/download ... hp?id=3062

Music by me: http://forums.themanaworld.org/download ... hp?id=2761

I can faintly remember at least one other music which was around somewhere but I can't find it at the moment. Please feel free to post a download link to it.

Which one do you like better?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Which music for the graveyard?

Post by Kage »

Personally I like the "Spooky Beat 0.7" over "Graveyard"
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Your track is good Crush, but I think I'd find it a little annoying on a loop for a while - it needs to be longer and more varied.

I think it depends on the atmosphere we're trying to create: Crush's is faster and reminds me (personally) of something rather retro and a light-hearted kind of spooky. The style I went for was slower and a little darker - perhaps more creepy and mournful than spooky. It also depends how much we care about using electronic instruments (a while ago it was decided we should try to use more orchestral instruments and less synths).

I can't make a vote because it will undoubtably be biased.
~Feline Monstrosity
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

feline monstrosity wrote:Crush's is faster and reminds me (personally) of something rather retro and a light-hearted kind of spooky. The style I went for was slower and a little darker - perhaps more creepy and mournful than spooky. It also depends how much we care about using electronic instruments (a while ago it was decided we should try to use more orchestral instruments and less synths).
You need to remember their is going to be a boss in the graveyard, taking that into account I think the more frantic tone of Crush's song is more suited. Though I would like to use yours somewhere.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

I like Graveyard (feline's piece) better. It could still be improved, but I think it would work better in the long run.

I like crush's track too, but I couldn't listen to it for hours. Perhaps you could use it for some place where the players don't need to hang around very long. Perhaps in a long transit crypt (like the cave that takes you to the sick mouboo), but not in a place where you fight for days looking for that little something that you need for your quest.
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

I guess Crush's track would be good for "the boss chamber", but not in the place where we will fight zombie owls, skeletons or whatever for weeks in a row.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

I didn't know there was going to be a boss in the graveyard.
~Feline Monstrosity
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

There is no boss chamber planned explicitely at the moment, but it would be possible to add one in form of a crypta at the end of the graveyard map.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Both tracks are good enough where it would be very wasteful to leave one or the other behind.
The graveyard track by Feline Monstrosity suites an outdoor overworld map where monsters happen to be more spread out.
The Spooky Beat track by Crush is "party" like, suited to an indoor dungeon where mobs are more concentrated.
Neither is suited to a boss chamber track.

Fantastic work.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Crush,

I undoubtedly agree with bcs86.

Have a nice day.
Ces
Novice
Novice

Post by Ces »

Spooky beat version 0.7 by Crush (1.33)
I’m reminded of side-scrolling action games. A castle with white ghosts floating around erraticaly, you cannot hurt them, but they can you. You just have to get to the next door. The giants and trolls passing by [0.30–0.45 for instance] bring relief from those smaller beings following me around. As mentioned earlier in this thread, I believe it’s suited for long corridors in a crypt or something similar, not really what we have now on the three maps. If we have a quest which needs concentration and/or coordination to solve it this might be a good background music, to work up a little stress. (My two main issues with the track is that it could be longer and that it is in need of better looping, rather than just starting over.)

Graveyard by feline monstrosity (3.36)
What I’m reminded of is that is night. But I am unsure whether I am outside or indoors... Ruins. That’s it, I’m walking around at some remains of an once-time settlement, the outskirts. But then I’m at a circus, I can imagine the large tents even though they are nowhere to be seen. The remains of an abonded freak show, one that nature is in the midst of taking back to her bosom? I’m apprehensive of slighlty grotesque creatures jumping at my feet. Not really scared, but apprehension is there, along with that circus merriment. (My main issue is that I would like to hear some more variance to the background strings, a couple of notes up and down in a slight melody perhaps.)

I like both tracks, but I’d wait with Crush’s till we have a more suiting map. Of the two feline monstrosity’s are better suited to the outdoor maps we currently have, I think.