Reappearing door

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Savi
Novice
Novice

Reappearing door

Post by Savi »

Is it possible to have a magic door or exit that appears once you kill all the monsters in a room?

If that is possible what about having a tree or rock that would disappear for a short amount of time so a player could go to a secret set of maps.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Reappearing door

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Yes.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

That would be awesome. This means we can have huge dungeons that you have to form a party to raid with a room containing a loot chest at the end which is unlocked by killing all the monsters.
~Feline Monstrosity
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

Would it be possible to create a door that would only open by evoking a magic spell?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Yes.
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

Everything is possible, I'm sure, but my guess is that you won't do it. Everything is respawning in this game because everyone is sharing the space and the killing material and everyone needs things to kill.

These ideas work and are already used for single player games (maybe multiplayer but with a very limited number of players).

In this game how are you going to chose how many people get to fight in that dungeon at a given time? And if 50 people chose to do that at once, who gets to open the chest after they all kill all the monsters together? Everybody? What if I come in when there are only 2 monsters left, and "we" kill them too? Do I also get to open the chest if I only delivered a lame hit on a weaker monster?

Nah, not in this game. :)
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

Kill3rZ wrote:In this game how are you going to chose how many people get to fight in that dungeon at a given time? And if 50 people chose to do that at once, who gets to open the chest after they all kill all the monsters together? Everybody? What if I come in when there are only 2 monsters left, and "we" kill them too? Do I also get to open the chest if I only delivered a lame hit on a weaker monster?
Well.. I think that's why this it is a disappearing door. It won't let more people enter when there's already a party inside, so you simply won't be able to open any chest because you won't be able to enter.
Also, I think that it's possible to retrieve information of how many players are in the map and take decisions accordingly (rewards for 50 players might be different from the rewards 3 players would get).

Perhaps it's possible to have a static number of players.. the gate will be always open, and it leads to a empty room, you can come in and out. But if there enter 5 players inside at the same time then a boss will spawn in the room and the gate will automatically close (no more players can come inside or leave until either the boss is defeated or everyone inside is killed)... maybe instead of a boss other events could be triggered perhaps have there a demon NPC that only can be summoned with the help of more friends, and he will trade with you some special items (beware of selling your soul!).

I think it's not a bad idea.
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

I still think it's a bad idea. No matter how well you patch it, it's still frustrating to wait by a door for some clueless noobs to die already so that you can play too. It's also frustrating for the noob who gets in the room along with some high-level players and never quite gets to the monster in time to strike it for bit of XP. Players will end up hating each other's guts over this room.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

It shouldn't be that easy for a noob to get to that room in the first place.
~Feline Monstrosity
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

If it is a magic door then it could be easy to do. You try to enter the door and the response is "Your magic isn't high enough to enter beyond this door". Create a new spell for the door to operate called "opensezme"
Another way would be if it was set up like the Cat quest. If you do not wear the right items then you are sent back outside where the door has now disappeared.
Toupas
Peon
Peon

Post by Toupas »

The methode u are sugesting its just not doable. In almost every mmorpg there is a need to create multiple instance of the same dungeon so that multiple partys can do it at the same time. Imagine that u have 1000 players and its a 10 man dungeon, how much time do u think u have to wait to enter it? Special zones cannot be shared zones, its not the mmorpg way =)

TMW is evolving at is own speed u guys just have to wait and u will for sure see some major changes.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

The door on the map would not change, it would be much like the door to get into the demon chest.
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

Kill3rZ wrote:Players will end up hating each other's guts over this room.
That's socializing, gaming, you could say the same thing about football
I don't think it would be that much of a problem anyway. It's just a room, not a whole dungeon, won't take that much time, it's the ending room where the boss is, if you are a noob you'll get killed fast.

In most MMORPGs the bosses only spawn once every few hours.. so people have to wait quite a lot after a boss has been killed.

Moreover, I would like for once to have some kind of quest that actually has some repercusion on other players... it's kinda boring that every quest is like a single-player thing. Quests that get in the middle of the others, dinamic quests, would be nice.
Toupas wrote: The methode u are sugesting its just not doable. In almost every mmorpg there is a need to create multiple instance of the same dungeon so that multiple partys can do it at the same time. Imagine that u have 1000 players and its a 10 man dungeon, how much time do u think u have to wait to enter it?
Actually I think that instantiating is not scalable... imagine 1000 players entering the dungeon and forcing the server to create 1000 different instances of it, the server doesn't have infinite memory.

Also, if only 10 players can enter out of 1000 then this makes this 10 people more special, it's just part of the game, law of offer/acceptance. The idea of instantiating breaks the relationship with the rest of the world in the mmorpg, it's like if you changed for some time to a different world, isolated. I think that's not a good thing, better have a dinamic world where we all have to share and compete on.

Anyway, I don't really think that there will be that much people wanting to enter at the same time (in fact, after time has passed and the room stops being a new thing I doubt that it will be easy to find 10 friends of the appropiate level all of them wanting to enter, the room is empty if not 10 people, so normally you won't find people there sit and waiting, they will have to search for friends or ask people to come).
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

1000 people in 100 instances might in fact cause less problems than 1000 people in one instance.

Multiple instances are easier to load-balance because you can put them on different physical servers (using a distributed server-cluster is part of the design of TMWServ) and the network traffic is much lower (network traffic increases quadratically with the number of characters on the same screen).

One of the reasons Guildwars uses such extreme instancing is because they are cheap and don't want to spend that much to pay traffic.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.