TMW GUI - HUD thread

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

adamaix
Novice
Novice
Location: A secret garden hidden deep in the woods of Hurnscald

TMW GUI - HUD thread

Post by adamaix »

heads up display demo
heads up display demo
hud_demo1.jpg (167.34 KiB) Viewed 3117 times
Here's a draft HUD I've been working on to compliment the new skin, other things I'm planning is a more friendly display for HP, MP and XP in the top left, as well as icons instead of buttons in the top right for the different windows (status, inventory, equipment etc.). Possibly intergrate the minimap as well?

This is just a draft, the final revision will be segmented and tilable to work with different screen resolutions (screen size here is 800x600 though).

PS. There is a camera inside the logo, the GMs can see what you doing! :lol:
Last edited by adamaix on 14 Jul 2009, 16:29, edited 1 time in total.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Re: HUD

Post by Kage »

I dunno... maybe we can make it optional
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
swimmy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by swimmy »

i think TMW mark should move to the left corner.
center is a little bad i think.
anyway, thats good idea. :wink:
who was...
adamaix
Novice
Novice

Post by adamaix »

well, optional is an option :)

This is an even lighter version. It could be segmented into 4 parts,
1) left corner
2) right corner
3) middle
4) Tileable section
Attachments
hud_draft2.png
hud_draft2.png (95.01 KiB) Viewed 3095 times
swimmy
Warrior
Warrior

Post by swimmy »

left or attachment one is good. :D
who was...
kasra5004
Peon
Peon

Post by kasra5004 »

em... and hp,mp bars should be included. and also inventory and other things. if you draw some icons for`em ,it`ll be even better.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

This might look nice but the idea has two problems.

1. it makes it impossible to change the screen resolution
2. it reduces the screen real estate
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

If this was an option I would switch it off to, as Crush said, increase the screen real estate.
~Feline Monstrosity
Ktoso
Peon
Peon

Post by Ktoso »

Just do the "top" bar maybe (dont draw the |_| border, it's pretty much useless).
In game nicknames: Klemio, Ktoso
Life is Study - Kintaro Oe (Golden Boy)
Project13 - The Soul of a Coder - (Portfolio)
adamaix
Novice
Novice

Post by adamaix »

Crush wrote:This might look nice but the idea has two problems.

1. it makes it impossible to change the screen resolution
2. it reduces the screen real estate
1. It is possible to change the screen resolution, its using the same concept as the actual windows that is already implemented, which would allow dynamic on the fly resizing.
2. I realise that could be a problem, depending on your viewpoint I could definitely make it much smaller than this (4px borders instead) but the point of a HUD is to integrate many things into a small space to save on real estate. examples include shortcut bar, minimap, various menu's etc.

The reason I've decided to work on the HUD, is because the new theme needs a new client release, and it would be efficient to include the HUD in simultaneously to take advantage of the release.

Like any other window it could be closed I would imagine and the HUD could have an opacity setting like all the other windows which could aid in viewing the map behind it. Beings are only viewable 14 tiles anyway, but you need space for chat/inventory windows.

Give me a size to work on, and I'll come up with a design that is as compact as possible and think out of the box, the HUD doesn't necessarily have to fill up the entire width of the top screen.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Re: TMW GUI - HUD thread

Post by John P »

adamaix thank you for working on the display! You HUD and skin both look excellent. This is something TMW desperately needs. Keep up the good work, I think your latest (straight bar) concept is exactly right. Forget real estate and transparency, to me the HUD solidifies the game. Maybe to take advantage of all space, there could some day be a "relax and chat" mode where clicking the manaworld button removes most of the bar -- everything but the manaworld button itself (you don't need access to any of your icons or health when you are relaxing chatting in town).

Also on a more personal note, I've never liked the concept of a wrench for settings.

Thanks again keep up the good work.
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

I think and important thing to consider is moving the bar to the bottom. If you do a little research into software psychology (which I've done as an application/web programmer) you'll find that most people do not like bars or heavy elements like that "hanging over their heads" or on the right side of the screen.

Most successful games and software put their bars on the left or on the bottom.

At the very least, add some setting so that the bar can be moved to the bottom of the screen if the user wants to.

I think having the bar hanging from the top will not be as good as having it on the bottom.
kasra5004
Peon
Peon

Post by kasra5004 »

I think u can use the tmw symbol as a button. It`ll be good.
adamaix
Novice
Novice

Post by adamaix »

Inkweaver wrote:I think and important thing to consider is moving the bar to the bottom. If you do a little research into software psychology (which I've done as an application/web programmer) you'll find that most people do not like bars or heavy elements like that "hanging over their heads" or on the right side of the screen.

Most successful games and software put their bars on the left or on the bottom.

At the very least, add some setting so that the bar can be moved to the bottom of the screen if the user wants to.

I think having the bar hanging from the top will not be as good as having it on the bottom.
I prefer my chat box at the bottom, but I see your point.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Actually if the edges are tilable, that can be used with 9-patch. What I'm against is the lost screen real estate caused by the unnecessary borders. That could work for skinning windows if you were to tone it down a bit.
This message used to be meaningful.