Price of Death!

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Fern
Novice
Novice

Re: Price of Death!

Post by Fern »

Jumpy wrote:second point would be around ideas so that those moments you have to spend in realm of death would be useful and playable moments (not just opening the computer during all night and making your 4 h 00 penalties,..)
In fact I like that if I die I can just stop playing till tomorrow and then when opening the game again the dead status is no more so that I can exit the death realm if I want (it wouldn't matter if you keep the game open, I think that the status time counters are server-side, so even if you are not playing the time will run out).

Anyway, I think that the search for the white herb that I propose is very similar to this, as an alternative way of removing the dead status, and it allows for different quests or ways to get the herb... even the maze idea could be implemented as a search for the plant. It is also even possible for players to collect white herbs and sell them, so that when you are in the realm of death you can return instantly if you want by just eating the herb to resurrect and talking to the ferryman.
Demonoid
Peon
Peon

Post by Demonoid »

I just thought dying shouldn't be a free teleport to revive town and half healing.
It was just my opinion how to improve game experience.

How about a revive potion to prevent an exp loss?
This would have 2 positive effects:

1. save earned XP
2. being more carefull with better food management

I think 1k would be proper price for the potion.
TMW changed my Life! Let it change yours! Start playing!
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

i don't know if time is serv time like you are banned 2 h 00 joke :)

i hope it won't be serv time but connexion to serv time 2 h 00 is 2 h 00 connected

and with duties, task. not just sitted.

of course it has to be like a floatting animated char not with your char as it is

or you can invisible to the tmw world but can only managed to realise specified task collecting herbs or lump clay or wood etc

just ideas

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Hello=)
TMW Classic
TMW Classic

Price of Death! - another ideas...

Post by Hello=) »

Yet another ideas about deaths handling...

In some cases character maybe should not "die" but rather should "fall without senses"? Then, monsters should lose interest in beating him, etc. Then, "legend" can be displayed for player, something like "fortunately, caravan in desert found you and delivered to Tulimshar healers which have managed to heal you" or smth like this :mrgreen:. Then, player should have reduced HPs and skills which are slowly recovering within a hour or so to discourage such "half-deaths" and encourage players to value their lives a bit more. Maybe XP penalty is not bad idea as well :mrgreen:. Right now you can die a way too much without penalties, this seems to cause some players over-using this fact (this could be a bit annoying sometimes). After all, this is not a Quake where frags counted to detect winners and even in Quake there is penalty aka loss of all ammo :lol:

And well, as for deaths, I'm liked one campaign in Battle for Wesnoth where mage was thrown onto "land of death" (from where only few could return as legend says) and have to walk some quests in underground caves fighting undeads, etc and walking up to portal returning him into usual world. This could be both funny adventure and discourage deaths (so, idea with a maze looks quite interesting for me :mrgreen:).
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

An idea would be to create something call Life Force. When you die you lose all your life force. When you come back to life your life force needs to be regenerated. To regenerate your life force you need to kill mobs. The penalty for dying is, with no life force you do not get any exp points from killing monsters. All the exp points go towards your life force. When your life force is fully charged your exp points go back into exp. Each time you die the amount required to fill your life force increases. Players are not penalized experience loss or gold. but they are penalized by not gaining experience for a period of time. Of course the more times you die the longer it takes before exp goes to exp.
Darkfangex
Peon
Peon

Post by Darkfangex »

ok make a , "you loose 1/3 cash death penalty" it would be fair dont you guys think? oh and make it take from the bank account if founds are “insufficent”muahahahaha!
!!!KEANE -EVERYBODYS CHANGING!!! my chosen song that I think fits my role in tmw :(
Null
Peon
Peon

Post by Null »

I dont see the need to have a penalty of any kind especially where non pvp is concearned.

For pvp i could understand having something ,however small ,to make it more meaningfull in the compedative sense but for non pvp areas its a giant annoyance.

Someone before me stated that without a death cost , TMW is nothing but a fashion show , i think thats garbage loosing your exp when you die is just a pain in the butt . You work to lvl then die loose that lvl then have to get it back only to die and loose it again its like touching a lit match ,realising it hurts then touching it again and again thats borderline retardation folks ^^. You want to talk about displaying your ability to "waste time" moving in circles like a confused animal seems a bigger waste of time to me that the way it is now a "fashion show" -.-

Where i come from the death penalty is what DROVE me to TMW in the first place . In that game u have to lvl ,Skill (or train) seperatley (u gain no skills based on a lvl up what so ever ) plus gain GPS and items . As it stands in that game my char takes close to 20 hours of straight none stop "training" to advance in skill ONCE . He takes another several hours to Gain a normal lvl , the death penalty in that game causes loss of EXP , chance of loosing one or more equipped items AND everything in your backpack which for me is 3k worth of pots and over 150 k worth of armor and weaponry that i would have to get back all over again its just ridiculous and unessesary in a non pvp situation.I die and have to spend another 27+ hours getting back what was already mine to begin with then die again and repeat. You ask where the fun is in dying and it not costing you , well wheres the fun in loosing your crap all the time and screwing around trying to get it back ?

If TMW is to have a death penalty it needs to fit with the happy nature of the game and be a small minor inconvinience not a collosal pain in the neck that drives ppl into a frenzy .

I wouldnt mind the loss of A lvl , Singular, nothing more thats not so bad , or perhaps some gp or something small like that. Anything else however is just creating a less casual environment .

Theres also a massive issue as far as Account theft is concearned . Think about it like this ppl steal and do bad things because the risk is worth the reward .

In my other game ppl will hack your account , steal all your items your eq's your gps and then just to torment you they will kill off your char over and over until your so low in lvl u go back to the begginer area and are forced to start all over . Just imagine that for a second months mabye even years of hard work flushed down the toilet by a malicious little jack hole with nothing better to do that screw with ppls enjoyment of the game .

Im all for a small penalty but anything to large is just gonna drive me to find yet another haven from death penalty madness -.-

TMW is perfect just the way it is i hope it continues to stay fun and free

i also forgot to mention , i really like the idea mentioned before hand about a death town u have to remain in when you die , that is the kind of "minor inconvinience " im talking about .
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

I think losings some exp (but never being able to lose a lvl) works fine
(maybe a slight debuff too)

i also forgot to mention , i really like the idea mentioned before hand about a death town u have to remain in when you die , that is the kind of "minor inconvinience " im talking about .
Planeshift I think the game is called had that system, I wasn't much of a fan
Pixel Battalion
Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Post by Cotillion »

please no.
nonono

no exp loss
no item loss

i enjoy being able to socialize while i fight. having to worry about these types of loss would hinder that...
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Somehow most game makers add a price for death, wonder why this is?
Cotillion wrote:please no.

i enjoy being able to socialize while i fight. having to worry about these types of loss would hinder that...
Multitask!
Pixel Battalion
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

And more

as magic is there and mages are very low defense just imagine what this would represent to them
(yes yes it is me :) i am taking the defense of mages :) )

So no exp loss
So no Gp loss

make quests for the realm of death
quest to search for items to come back to life
any quest will be fine (joking it is a lot of work and i would give more work to devs)

thanks
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Pederia-dupol
Peon
Peon

Post by Pederia-dupol »

Death realm seems like the best choice. Some items you can only get once, like the setzer. If you lose them, you are SCREWED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
HOLY HECK!!!!!!!!!!
AND LOOK AT THIS!
http://fc03.deviantart.com/fs10/i/2006/ ... _N_One.png
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Because this is an open source initiative, I recommend that TMWServ have some sort of config file (or section in a master config file) for a death penalty. Examples of options can be:
- deathpenalty_money_lost_amount
- deathpenalty_money_lost_percent
- deathpenalty_exp_total_lost_amount
- deathpenalty_exp_total_lost_percent
- deathpenalty_exp_sincelastlevel_lost_amount
- deathpenalty_exp_sincelastlevel_lost_percent
- maybe some deathpenalty_inventory or deathpenalty_quest related options for resetting a quest counter (kill 100 maggots, but since you died no you have to start over or lose a percent of your counter) or losing items in your inventory (not stuff that you have "banked")

etc.

These should be understood by the server and effect changes to the players db entry. Remember (if this thread proves anything) that not everyone can agree on how to handle a death penalty. And I doubt every fork out there will want to rewrite massive amounts of server code to get things the way they want.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

interesting zick

but could the counters be related only to the realm of death
if, when dead, you can't access to an inventory and trade is not allowed i would say it is a great idea to get increased numbers item quest to get out.
but that would be to easy to collect or buy like 1000 maggot and just arriving in realm of death give them in order to get out

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

My proposal is far from perfect, but imho it's a start in the right direction. I think the main developers often lose sight of the fact that their software should be as customizable as possible, with TMW being a practical example/demonstration of that fact.

Also, if things are easily customized like I was suggesting, as a server admin you can easily change the rules via a console or even some applet that edits the config file. This can help you tweak and balance the server better.