Quest NPC Indication

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Re: Quest NPC Indication

Post by Jumpy »

i think talkin over an aver on npc is a good thing as you have to go back again and again to all npc's in order to get and reach the quests

makes the game more intersting and npc really part of the evolovong game

regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Enchilado! wrote:What about.... talking to them, and trying to find out? Nah, that's waaaay to original.

~sigh,
Enchilado
That's way too 80's game design.
This message used to be meaningful.
Len
Knight
Knight

Post by Len »

Rotonen wrote:
Enchilado! wrote:What about.... talking to them, and trying to find out? Nah, that's waaaay to original.

~sigh,
Enchilado
...like the original Everquest original!

(it can be frustrating, trust me)
Pixel Battalion
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

Er, I meant how it is atm*...

~isn't that, really, the best way?
Enchilado

* Automatic Transaction Machine
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

I like the idea of the NPC indicating something new to say.

As RP, the icon concept (which could also be some kind of particle effect now) replaces a real life notion of a person trying to get your attention.

What I mean is, in the real world if a person had something to talk to you about they might shout "Hey, Enchilado, I've got some news!", or they might whistle or wave you over. But then, the NPCs could do these things as well. Automatically pop up a dialogue box when you are within range (which would be cool actually) or appear animated when they have something new to say (definitively not as cool).

The downside to this idea is that there are some NPCs that you would rather not talk to at all, and they would always have an icon and that would be bothersome, or they would pop up to you when you intended to walk right past them. It should only happen once, but still.

Long story short I am for this idea (or automatic pop up dialogue).
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

John P wrote:I like the idea of the NPC indicating something new to say.

As RP, the icon concept (which could also be some kind of particle effect now) replaces a real life notion of a person trying to get your attention.

What I mean is, in the real world if a person had something to talk to you about they might shout "Hey, Enchilado, I've got some news!", or they might whistle or wave you over. But then, the NPCs could do these things as well. Automatically pop up a dialogue box when you are within range (which would be cool actually) or appear animated when they have something new to say (definitively not as cool).

The downside to this idea is that there are some NPCs that you would rather not talk to at all, and they would always have an icon and that would be bothersome, or they would pop up to you when you intended to walk right past them. It should only happen once, but still.

Long story short I am for this idea (or automatic pop up dialogue).
Automatic dialogs get in the way of other things, so no, not for quest indication. Maybe let NPCs whisper players (not using the tab system, of course).
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Just an overhead particle for NPCs, please.

It's a tried solution which works. Proven in many games.
This message used to be meaningful.
DumbDude1994
Peon
Peon

Post by DumbDude1994 »

look u could always have an option in settings to turn off the indicator like fable 2 u can turn off the direction indicator or leave it on