[WIP] Skull Mask

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Beelzebub
Peon
Peon

[WIP] Skull Mask

Post by Beelzebub »

This is my first attempt at pixel art so I figured I would try something simple like a skull mask. Even if not considered as an accepted item I would appreciate some suggestions or pointers. I used Gimp in this process so if another file would be more helpful I could upload it but figured a png would be ok for now. The original xcf has the mask on a separate layer.
SkullMask.png
SkullMask.png (2.07 KiB) Viewed 4343 times
Last edited by Beelzebub on 31 Jul 2009, 19:28, edited 1 time in total.
Ereh Nwod Nuf Rof Sdik Tae Lla Ew
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [WIP] My attempt at pixel art

Post by Fother »

I like it... I suggest turning down the outline just a tad, adding a smidge of anti aliasing near the eyes (after making eye holes)... err... something like this:
head-skullmask.png
head-skullmask.png (2.31 KiB) Viewed 4191 times
This is using the same strap and positioning as the face mask sheet (and leeches from the same xml)... but should do the trick.

EDIT: Left Sit action on XML had incorrect Yoffset of 19, should've been 20. The XML attachment below has the corrections.
Attachments
head-skullmask.xml
(5.66 KiB) Downloaded 85 times
Last edited by Fother on 07 Sep 2009, 10:50, edited 1 time in total.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Beelzebub
Peon
Peon

Post by Beelzebub »

I'm glad you like it so far. I appreciate the suggestions and the fact that you basically showed me how it should be done. I don't really know too much about xml so it seems I should read up a bit on that as well. Anyway, I am going to work on getting used to the anti-aliasing and the lighter pixels for outlines, the solid black was quite heavy. Also I didn't quite name the file properly because I didn't know if it would cause conflict in later posts.

~Bub
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Beelzebub wrote:I'm glad you like it so far. I appreciate the suggestions and the fact that you basically showed me how it should be done. I don't really know too much about xml so it seems I should read up a bit on that as well. Anyway, I am going to work on getting used to the anti-aliasing and the lighter pixels for outlines, the solid black was quite heavy. Also I didn't quite name the file properly because I didn't know if it would cause conflict in later posts.

~Bub
As long as your art can replace another, you can use the same XML. That's what Fother_J did.

File names can't conflict across posts.
Beelzebub
Peon
Peon

Post by Beelzebub »

After attempting some monster creation and getting annoyed with certain parts I went back and put the untied straps on the mask for the icon. I don't really care if this gets in or not just felt like I should make the icon to get some closure on this project. Again thanks to Fother for cleaning up my mistakes on the original and making the rest of the angles. The more I look at it the more I am inspired to temper my pixel skills. As always feel free to criticize, comment, alter or make suggestions.

~Bub
Attachments
Head-SkullMaskIcon.png
Head-SkullMaskIcon.png (920 Bytes) Viewed 3993 times
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

Looks good to me. We already have a monster skull mask, but this skull mask will offer a little more variety for those who are inclined toward the evil side.

Good work.
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

While we have several existing icons out of perspective, equip icons generally want to look like they're laying on the ground... which sometimes means we don't have much opportunity to reuse anything we've made in our player equip set for the icon... directly that is.

*Resist* the temptation of making the death frames for hats/masks a duplicate of the item icon just to "save time".
Once again, this is just an example... I'm not saying my icon is up to snuff or any representation of how it must be oriented on the ground, just an example of the perspective.
Once again, this is just an example... I'm not saying my icon is up to snuff or any representation of how it must be oriented on the ground, just an example of the perspective.
armor-head-skullmask.png (910 Bytes) Viewed 3902 times
My approach was to use my imaging program to rotate the down frame from our equip set and squish it's height 70%. In a new layer, I traced the edge in red (or some other color) and cleaned up the line art of the trace to 1px... getting an idea of placement for the rest of the face from the rotated layer below (the guide layer), I created further line art of the other major parts of the mask (eyes nose), but placed them slight more to the northeast since i have to account that the mask isn't flat. I slide out my guide layer from underneath my line art that I made in red, and then take another sample from the un-rotated south equip frame to approximate my pallet and pixel in the colors for the texture & lighting.

I threw just a smidge of anti-aliasing into the head band and around the mask itself... but I didn't want to go overboard with it.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
Beelzebub
Peon
Peon

Post by Beelzebub »

This changing perspective of such a small image is proving more difficult than I originally thought it would be. After many attempts at different rotations and other manipulations a friend and I have come up with two that we thought looked somewhat ok. Anyone who wants to should feel free to grab these and play with them to try and make them better.
Head-SkullMaskIcon1.png
Head-SkullMaskIcon1.png (1.53 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Head-SkullMaskIcon2.png
Head-SkullMaskIcon2.png (4.76 KiB) Viewed 3778 times
Also is there a way to rename this topic as [WIP]Skull Mask? (I'm not too familiar with forum management.)

~Bub
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Beelzebub wrote:Also is there a way to rename this topic as [WIP]Skull Mask? (I'm not too familiar with forum management.)

~Bub
There is an edit button on the first post for you to use.
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [WIP] Skull Mask

Post by Enchilado! »

Yes, but his player level will go up quicker this way.

~see my GM application thread...
Enchilado
Beelzebub
Peon
Peon

Post by Beelzebub »

Sorry to bring this post back up but I was just wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to make this better or if it would even be considered as a new item. Granted I have some other projects I am working on but they aren't unfolding as nicely as this one did. Once again, thanks to Fother for the input, help, and pixel manipulation.
Asmageddon
Peon
Peon

Post by Asmageddon »

In my opinion it is good enough, but you could create few different skull helmets. Also I didn't seen the 3/4 icon for this item lying around.
btw. good job.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Which icon should we take upon?

Regards,
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

I liked both:
Head-SkullMaskIcon.png
head-skullmask.png
I think either of these is easily in game quality and would think it is awesome if one design or the other ended up in game.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Rotonen !!!!!!!!!!

;)