[REQ] Minor Undead Item - Graveyard

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

John P
Warrior
Warrior

[REQ] Minor Undead Item - Graveyard

Post by John P »

In order to supplement the graveyard and the related quests, I need some small 'trinket' item that might only be dropped by undead monsters from the graveyard (zombies, skeletons).

It is a 'collect the item' style quest (don't groan, it's actually decent ;P ) so the items will not have much worth, but they need to be something the undead might drop numerous times (such as a squirrel dropping acorns).

If these are not deemed too gruesome (and in fact add some intensity to the game) possible ideas are:
an eye (the ball with squiggly connector) or an ear (dismembered, no blood!), or both!

Some more creative ideas relate to how mana works in the undead, and they might 'spew' something when they are hit or killed (something that presumably keeps them reanimated). This could come out in any shape or form, who knows:
A mana-green 'blood' liquid (for which a bottle magically appears)
A black rose petal (ominous)
Some kind of (glowing) bug crawls out

Need ideas, need art!

Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [REQ] Minor Undead Item - Graveyard

Post by Fother »

... a Dark Crystal?
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
Wiki Page | Trello | Google+ Profile
doorsman
Warrior
Warrior

Post by doorsman »

Dark Crystals are quite common now :lol:

Better to find new ideas for new monsters, to put more diversity in the game imho.
Still on freenode network #manacentral. On the Web at www.manacentral.net

Patience, Integrity and Truth. A harsh Reality...

doors
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

My first pixel art attempt ever.. didn't go to well lol but here's my try of the eyeball you wanted.
Attachments
eyeball2.png
eyeball2.png (601 Bytes) Viewed 4928 times
eyeball1.png
eyeball1.png (601 Bytes) Viewed 4804 times
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

Zombie Nachos?
Attachments
The flavor is in the brains
The flavor is in the brains
zombie-nachos.png (1.09 KiB) Viewed 4900 times
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
kasra5004
Peon
Peon

Post by kasra5004 »

I think bones are good.( perhaps we can make a bone armor after a while, and bones will be necessary then.)
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

Goku the eyeball is great, almost perfect!

It might get flagged as too 'bloody' for the game, but I was half expecting that anyway. It does sort of look like it is flying through the air, but maybe it wont in context.

p.s. the zombie nachos look very tasty, but come on Fother, get realistic. You expect me to believe that somebody could get nachos away from a zombie? Not a chance.
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

The undead could drop teeth when they die. It would be a small item and not much value. Although there could be a rare drop when they might drop a gold tooth.
They could also drop an ear which might be less gross than a bloody eye. Although I do like the eyeball :D
They could drop a patch of hair. It would look like fluffy fur but the color would be dark instead of white.
yosuhara
Knight
Knight

Post by yosuhara »

I tried the eyeball too :D
Attachments
eyebaaaal4-2.png
eyebaaaal4-2.png (3.1 KiB) Viewed 4790 times
eyebaaaal4.png
eyebaaaal4.png (1.31 KiB) Viewed 4670 times
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Nice eye Yosuhara!

And wow really? I thought it turned out a mess but thanks. :D And maybe the nachos could be something sold in the graveyard by an NPC.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Fother
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Fother »

John P wrote:come on Fother, get realistic. You expect me to believe that somebody could get nachos away from a zombie? Not a chance.
I dunno, ever buy fast food nachos from stoned teenagers working at Taco Bell? :lol: You know I was only teasing! I can have a sense of humor can't I? My sarcasm isn't as good as Matt's sadly.

Of course nothing should ever drop nachos, that's a crime against flavor! I was trying to brainstorm drops, and couldn't think of any compelling ones to scale. To be honest, the majority of the skeletons are going to be made with sprite layering existing weapons (though our attack animations for weapon types are currently limited to that of our base player sprite, but if someone out there would like to make some further attack sheets that can utilize our player's frames, that'd be super!)... so many of the drops will be armor or equipment itself (the drop percentages and exactly what articles of equip are up to the devs [preferably at Rotonen's decision since he's over this kind of content] but that's something best discussed in General Development).

I had made a poison bottle a while back on our forums, which the BR server is using as a drop for their Mortes monster:
Image (Re-colorable on W channel)

Skull icon I made to match Modanung's skull as a drop for the skeleton (or the floating skulls themselves):
Image The outline is the same volume as the one on the floating skulls, but it might be best to drop that down a bit for this diagonal icon.

Re-colorable spice envelope on W and R channels:
Image This could be used for the old standard Bone Meal drop skeletons and zombies have... or other spices & alchemy powders (to avoid abusing the generic-powder graphic as much).

I'd still like to see some mort/dead flesh drops if someone could take a crack at that?

Please don't forget we also need drops for the Wisps (unless Crush already has those made)!... ah glow dust.
"Fother" Jarrett Huxley
Evil Pixel Artist
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

Fother J wrote:Of course nothing should ever drop nachos, that's a crime against flavor!
Haha, nice.
Also, my post was meant as a joke that zombies love their nachos and if they had nachos, no force in the world could take them away ;)
Fother J wrote:Re-colorable spice envelope on W and R channels:
Image This could be used for the old standard Bone Meal drop skeletons and zombies have... or other spices & alchemy powders (to avoid abusing the generic-powder graphic as much).
This is a ridiculously cool concept. I want to see this envelope used in as many ways possible already!!!
Fother J wrote: I'd still like to see some mort/dead flesh drops if someone could take a crack at that?
BIG +1
Like a broken record, I will say again, this game initially intended to keep the gore factor to a minimum, so I don't know if these drops will be usable, but I love Goku's eye (sorry Yosuhara, yours is good too) and definitely want to see an ear, maybe some toes....
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

An ear :P I think it's a little too small and not gross enough.
Attachments
zombieear.png
zombieear.png (450 Bytes) Viewed 4631 times
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

How about a set of teeth like the wind up chatter teeth. When you kill the zombie the teeth fall out and they attack you.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

it did not even occur to me that the ear would have to be a decayed color and almost unrecognizable as an ear. Well, skeletons shouldn't be dropping ears anyway.

In 'artists helping artists' spirit, is the eye perfect?

ps. Is the skeleton going to have a 'dollpart' head, and can there possibly be two to three heads sporting 1 and two eyeballs within the sockets? Might be kind of grim and cool looking.