[WIP] "Con"tent "Con"tributors Cap

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Black Don
Knight
Knight

[WIP] "Con"tent "Con"tributors Cap

Post by Black Don »

I did the Dev hat and it was well received now the "others want a hat. *Sigh* I was given ideas like one for Art(pixel Art),Map(Mappers),Trans(Translators),Scr(Scriptwriters/Programmers). Like I'm doing 4 different hats for the content contributors when I only made one for dev. Well then the idea of Cont was also brought up. First Cont is one vowel away from an offensive English word. Second 4 letters will not fit on the Cap and be readable. So this is my idea
head-CONcap.png
head-CONcap.png (2.59 KiB) Viewed 3576 times
If Dev are the Pro's then the rest are the Con's. It has a kind of yin and yang feel to it. :lol:
Conhat.png
Conhat.png (13.81 KiB) Viewed 3581 times
I used #ff9200 to recolor to the lovely prisoner orange in my Custom Data Zip. :wink:
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
EJlol
TMW Furniture
TMW Furniture

Re: [WIP] "Con"tent "Con"tributors Cap

Post by EJlol »

A orange con-cap would be perfect :D
I also think this will help to get people contribute more.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I like the idea of giving casual contributors a bragging rights item which is easier to get than the developer cap (which is only given to people with significant creative influence on the project). It might motivate more people to do small contributions and eventually join the development team as regular members.

I think the cap should be given to everyone who made something which got online on the official server.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

If everyone should really mean everyone we could easily end up with more than 100 exemplars. As a example currently there is exactly one line of a npc script written by myself online at eAthena.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

DEV: blue
MAP: red
GFX: green

Need for more three letter hats?

I find CON a bit vague of an abbreviation.
This message used to be meaningful.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Rotonen wrote:DEV: blue
MAP: red
GFX: green

Need for more three letter hats?

I find CON a bit vague of an abbreviation.
And "DEV" isn't vague. I can't begin to count the number of time I have had to tell people that Dev means development. And then what about translators, and programmers? I made the CON hat because it is one easy hat to fill a proposed need/want. I find vague to not be a good enough reason to make me do 4 or 5 more caps. If you don't want it don't use it.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Then what do people like me get who did about every job there is to do around here?

Instead of differentiating by field of activity I would rather prefer to differentiate by the grade of personal commitment.

Not just because it avoids the problem of creating more and more categories for people whose kind of engagement defies classification but also to avoid stereotyped thinking. Pushing people into clear application areas gives them excusions to avoid flexibility and self-sufficience or don't do tasks because it "isn't their job". I don't want people to say "I am a programmer, I won't touch a graphic program" or "My hat reads ART, not MAP, why should I do mapping tests with my tileset?". When I see there is something to be done I forget that I am not a mapper or not a programmer or not an artist or not a manager. I am a developer. I just do what has to be done and I learn the necessary skills on the go.

Or with the words of Robert A. Heinlein: "A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects."
Turmfalke wrote:If everyone should really mean everyone we could easily end up with more than 100 exemplars. As a example currently there is exactly one line of a npc script written by myself online at eAthena.
But you ARE getting involved in the development and that differentiates you from about 99% of the tmw player base who are just consuming without even trying to give back.

Even the smallest piece of work, and when it is just one line of dialog, makes you a part of TMW.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Well, you're not restricted to only giving out one hat per person, are you?

What you wear in the game is your own fashion statement.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Rotonen wrote:Well, you're not restricted to only giving out one hat per person, are you?

What you wear in the game is your own fashion statement.
There is one Dev hat and one Con hat. They are both recolorable, so if you want to have the color show what department or amount of content given is your choice. But asking for a new lettering for every possible thing someone could help out with is a little much.
octalot
Novice
Novice

Post by octalot »

I like Don's point that he doesn't want this to turn in to an endless stream of hat requests.
OTOH, I'd rather see the separate hats.

Could a set of MAP, ART, etc objects be created, all using the CON sprite to start with? Then leave it to the people wearing them to make a more-specific sprites if they want.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

I put on my robe and my DEV hat.

Anyway, I'm not willing to fight over this. This thread has a clear consensus with enough of a subset from relevant people stating opinions.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

*BUMP*

Are we going to add this? Crush's idea of content levels sounds like a good idea to me, instead of fifty different hats. A color for each level (while avoiding getting too close to the dev and GM colors) should work fine.
AnonDuck
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by AnonDuck »

Apologies for the necro, but as a casual contributor I really like this idea. Fun hats are good for motivation and morale.
Head of the TMW Illuminati
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

If we're gonna put this in game, we're still lacking:

- An item icon.
- xml references. (head-concap.xml + items.xml reference(s))

Regards,
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Bertram wrote:If we're gonna put this in game, we're still lacking:

- An item icon.
- xml references. (head-concap.xml + items.xml reference(s))

Regards,
XML matches the other three caps we already have.