Idea: The Squirrel That Steals

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

MacMurks
Peon
Peon

Idea: The Squirrel That Steals

Post by MacMurks »

Hi!
i've got an idea to make e.g. the woodlands even more adventurous:

1 - The Evis Squirrel
This one's like the well-known squirrel, but steals acorns!
Like a snake that attacks on sight, doing damage to the player, the squirrel moves on to the player and steals acorns from their inventory, one by one every few seconds.
There are some issues about:

1.1 - Graphics
This Evil Squirrel has to have a color different from the normal one, to let the player be able to distinguish it from. I suggest dark gray fur, or some white or red painting on the back, like a skunk

1.2 - Scripting

1.2.1 - The Stealing Behaviour
Is it possible for a monster to manipulate the player's inventory by a monster bot?
NPCs can ( like Jack in the Wooden Shield Quest can take 20 Raw Logs from the inventory; and a monster is also a kind of Non-Playable Character, i suppose)
Hence this should be no problem.

1.2.2 - Spawning
So the Evil Squirrel has to spawn(appear) in the World with a probability MUCH LESS than the normal squirrel, like one in twenty-five squirrels is evil or so.

1.3 - Reward
There should be a reward for killing them, like they drop an item that helps in a quest, or has special value when sold/traded. Shall they drop a stack of 2 to 5 acorns or leaves? It would be nice if they collect acorns from the player and drop all collected acorns when killed(so if one gets their acorns stolen and doesn't fight the evil squirrel, it keeps them until another player kills it.

Im playing TMW as the male character maebu.
If someone of the developers like that idea, they are invited to talk to me in-game(mostly in the afternoons.

PS:At the moment i'm collecting sellable drops in the Woodlands, near Dimond's Cove.

PPS:A guided tour through the work needed for that monster's development by an experienced developer would be nice.

Manasource
Manasource

Re: Idea: The Squirrel That Steals

Post by Jaxad0127 »

That isn't really possible with eAthena (our current server). Our new server (TMWServ) will make it easy.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Also gameplaywise that will be a huge annoyance unless there is some sort of a guarantee for you to get your stuff back.
This message used to be meaningful.
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Post by Inkweaver »

Perhaps, if like yellow slimes these squirrels kept track of what they had stolen and then redropped it when they were killed.

But yellow slimes pick up drops, they don't steal from inventory. It might be an interesting addition to TMW server. I would like to see a sneaky packrat or something that steals shiny, pretty items from inventory. The only problem is what about people who go afk so they can do something in real life? Meanwhile the monster is stealing everything they have.

Then someone else comes along, kills the monster and takes all the person's stuff.

So I think that overall this would not be a good addition to the game, unless it was limited to a very few, small, limited areas.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Inkweaver wrote:Perhaps, if like yellow slimes these squirrels kept track of what they had stolen and then redropped it when they were killed.

But yellow slimes pick up drops, they don't steal from inventory. It might be an interesting addition to TMW server. I would like to see a sneaky packrat or something that steals shiny, pretty items from inventory. The only problem is what about people who go afk so they can do something in real life? Meanwhile the monster is stealing everything they have.

Then someone else comes along, kills the monster and takes all the person's stuff.

So I think that overall this would not be a good addition to the game, unless it was limited to a very few, small, limited areas.
Definitely. One thing I'd like to do is thieves that steal gold (making the bank useful).
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

my first idea as I read the topic:
thought monsters stealing items could be fun, the only problem I see is that other players could be quicker with killing that monster.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Turmfalke wrote:my first idea as I read the topic:
thought monsters stealing items could be fun, the only problem I see is that other players could be quicker with killing that monster.
Which is why I want just gold to be taken.