Desert buildings and such (update).

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Golgo
Novice
Novice

Desert buildings and such (update).

Post by Golgo »

Heres some of my buildings i ded, hope you dig :D .

Click on the thumbnail to get a bigger image.
Last edited by Golgo on 16 Jun 2005, 19:24, edited 2 times in total.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Yep, I like. I think your circles should be more oval though, and I think it still looks a bit too much like filled line art in some places.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Bjørn wrote:Yep, I like. I think your circles should be more oval though, and I think it still looks a bit too much like filled line art in some places.
Thanks, if the circles your talking about is the small founten then thats how i meant it to look like, as for the filled in line art hmmm, witch one pacificly you're talking about?, i mostly lighten the lines that are faceng the view.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

For circles I meant all of them, the well, the barrel and the circular thing in the top right. Unless they are actually really ovals that became circles, in our current projection circles should look more like ovals. Just like the squares in the following set where corrected to be 16x10 pixels:

About lines I didn't mean the lines showed too much, more that besides the lines, there isn't much besides a flat color fill. I understand the houses are very flat and square, but still I think it could be improved. The same for the wood.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I agree, more structure/texture.
And those chairs, and that bed... they remind me of the Flintstones. Wood would be better.

Still looking nice.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Bjørn wrote:For circles I meant all of them, the well, the barrel and the circular thing in the top right. Unless they are actually really ovals that became circles, in our current projection circles should look more like ovals. Just like the squares in the following set where corrected to be 16x10 pixels:

About lines I didn't mean the lines showed too much, more that besides the lines, there isn't much besides a flat color fill. I understand the houses are very flat and square, but still I think it could be improved. The same for the wood.
bjorn, check if that perspective on the new barrel and founten (founten not finished) are right to you :) .
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Yes, that looks much better. It seems to me though, that you now overdid it. Our camera is probably looking down at about 45 degrees, which makes vertical distances appear at about 2/3rd of their real distance. Instead, you've now more than halved the vertical size in comparison with the horizontal size. Here is an example of the middle way I meant, having scaled your original well:

The oval now has dimensions of 60x40, matching the square grid which was about 16x10 pixels. I think it's important for consistency to keep this 2/3rd rule in mind. While important, it's not such a big deal though, it's much more important to point out you can draw nice barrels. :-)
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Bjørn wrote:Yes, that looks much better. It seems to me though, that you now overdid it. Our camera is probably looking down at about 45 degrees, which makes vertical distances appear at about 2/3rd of their real distance. Instead, you've now more than halved the vertical size in comparison with the horizontal size. Here is an example of the middle way I meant, having scaled your original well:

The oval now has dimensions of 60x40, matching the square grid which was about 16x10 pixels. I think it's important for consistency to keep this 2/3rd rule in mind. While important, it's not such a big deal though, it's much more important to point out you can draw nice barrels. :-)
Ah ok, you just wanted a less taller version of my first one :wink: , and yes
im a barrel master :shock: .
Talaroc
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Talaroc »

My advice:
First, I agree that wood would be better for furniture. Stone/clay chairs do look a little odd.

Next, try to keep away from black outlines. I'm not of the opinion that outlining is necessarily bad, especially given that this is supposed to be anime-esque, but black just stands out too much. Rather, for outlines, try using simply a darker shade of the base color of the object, so that it blends better.

Now, the third thing, and this is really my big, big piece of advice for all of the folks doing tilesets for this game: texturize the hell out of it. What I mean is this: the more detailed, naturalistic, and broken-up the colors and textures of a tile are, the more visually interesting they become. Obviously, this can be overdone, but all the tiles I've seen recently could stand a significant increase in this area. You did a bit of it here, and it shows; the walls of the buildings don't look like perfectly flat, smooth surfaces, and the water in the tub actually looks like water (rather than looking like the inside of the tub was painted blue). But, you can go farther with this, and it doesn't have to be tiny details either. Stains on the walls, big multi-tile cracks, decorative paint and/or mosaic work (which would, probably, be cracked and/or fading), and other such things can really bring out the potential of such tiles. The goal here is, while using a fairly narrow range of colors in order to keep it realistic, to do as much as possible to keep the player from knowing what base color fill you started with. I'll provide examples of this if you need them, once I can find some that really show what I'm talking about.

It doesn't stop with the walls, either. You can use more colors, subtler colors, and larger fields of non-base color on just about everything. One that you might look at is the water again: adding in some thin fields of different shades of blue surrounding the lighter lines (as well as juxtaposed against them) as well as some sparkling from the sunlight would really bring out the idea that this is, in fact, water.
Golgo
Novice
Novice

Post by Golgo »

Talaroc wrote:My advice:
First, I agree that wood would be better for furniture. Stone/clay chairs do look a little odd.

Next, try to keep away from black outlines. I'm not of the opinion that outlining is necessarily bad, especially given that this is supposed to be anime-esque, but black just stands out too much. Rather, for outlines, try using simply a darker shade of the base color of the object, so that it blends better.

Now, the third thing, and this is really my big, big piece of advice for all of the folks doing tilesets for this game: texturize the hell out of it. What I mean is this: the more detailed, naturalistic, and broken-up the colors and textures of a tile are, the more visually interesting they become. Obviously, this can be overdone, but all the tiles I've seen recently could stand a significant increase in this area. You did a bit of it here, and it shows; the walls of the buildings don't look like perfectly flat, smooth surfaces, and the water in the tub actually looks like water (rather than looking like the inside of the tub was painted blue). But, you can go farther with this, and it doesn't have to be tiny details either. Stains on the walls, big multi-tile cracks, decorative paint and/or mosaic work (which would, probably, be cracked and/or fading), and other such things can really bring out the potential of such tiles. The goal here is, while using a fairly narrow range of colors in order to keep it realistic, to do as much as possible to keep the player from knowing what base color fill you started with. I'll provide examples of this if you need them, once I can find some that really show what I'm talking about.

It doesn't stop with the walls, either. You can use more colors, subtler colors, and larger fields of non-base color on just about everything. One that you might look at is the water again: adding in some thin fields of different shades of blue surrounding the lighter lines (as well as juxtaposed against them) as well as some sparkling from the sunlight would really bring out the idea that this is, in fact, water.
Nice reply dude :wink: , i always keep improving my tiles over time but in this case ill add more detail sooner then i ded when i posted this witch still is a work in progress.

As for wood furniture, sure, i had the idea to just keeping to the current theme of the building to show inside as well, but if you guys want me to do wooden then ill get right to it.

Peace.

PS i do plan to remove all of the black lines from some sprites.