Mages seem to have all the fun

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Amun
Novice
Novice

Mages seem to have all the fun

Post by Amun »

Mages seem to be able to make more defined paths for themselves. I think archers and warriors should be thrown a bone.

Maybe a quest that would officially define their path as a warrior or archer. Their would be benefits to officially choosing a path such as special skills (nothing overly elaborate but I'll get to that.) And ofcourse cons. If they choose a path as a warrior or archer they can't learn magic or are very limited to what they can learn.

I'm not proposing some elaborate skill system but maybe for warriors their skill could have the same effect as an iron potion including the timer but include a cool down period. For the Archers a concentration skill. Than do away with the iron and concentration potions.

Thoughts?
The ManaBuzz
Stay informed with the latest Mana News.
No BS... but the truth might hurt.
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Re: Mages seem to have all the fun

Post by Kill3rZ »

I think nothing should be irreversible. It would be very sad to play as a warrior (no matter the advantages) from lvl 1 to lvl 99. Stat reset is there for a good reason. You already cannot also be a good mage if you chose to play as a warrior or archer. Mixed characters have huge handicaps. People wearing an armor have a very crippled war magic. To wear full armor and still be able to cast at all, you need lots of int points while your magic attack is very low and unsuitable for war magic (no matter how advanced it is). That leaves fewer points to distribute on vit, dex, str, luck and agi, which makes you a weaker warrior/archer too.
Without armor, you can't be a warrior. The only reliable combination is a "bull-fighting" mage-archer: very good dex and agi, weak/medium magic (mostly self-healing) and no defense and no armor which makes any monster that reaches you hurt you badly or even kill you with one blow. You need to dodge each and every monster hit (it's almost impossible to pass through crowded caves and very ineffective against skulls or something stronger - 99 dex is still not enough). The best thing you can do right now as it is, is to chose only one path when you are resetting the stats. No need for irreversible path choices. As for better weapons/armor/magic/whatever, I'm sure we will get them as the game advances.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

Stat reset is there for a good reason.
Stat reset is there cause the game is still in process of changing. For the future I would like to see the npc removed or at least changed back to the old prices for stat resets.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

I don't know about that. It's a pretty useful function. I like to be able to change my mind. It takes months to advance here and it would suck to start over each time you make a mistake.
Amun
Novice
Novice

Post by Amun »

I'm a big fan of the stats reset I messed up my character so many times at the start ;p I didn't intend the option to choose a class to be irreversible.

Anyways more items does sound to be a better way to go. But what if more class oriented items?

Like metal sets that have more bonuses warriors would like such as + strength or luck or vit

Leather sets have bonuses aimed more for archers such as + dex or agility
The ManaBuzz
Stay informed with the latest Mana News.
No BS... but the truth might hurt.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Amun wrote:Anyways more items does sound to be a better way to go. But what if more class oriented items?

Like metal sets that have more bonuses warriors would like such as + strength or luck or vit

Leather sets have bonuses aimed more for archers such as + dex or agility
That is being looked into.
Werezwolf
Peon
Peon

Post by Werezwolf »

Amun wrote:Mages seem to be able to make more defined paths for themselves. I think archers and warriors should be thrown a bone.

Maybe a quest that would officially define their path as a warrior or archer. Their would be benefits to officially choosing a path such as special skills (nothing overly elaborate but I'll get to that.) And ofcourse cons. If they choose a path as a warrior or archer they can't learn magic or are very limited to what they can learn.

I'm not proposing some elaborate skill system but maybe for warriors their skill could have the same effect as an iron potion including the timer but include a cool down period. For the Archers a concentration skill. Than do away with the iron and concentration potions.

Thoughts?
i started on some magic for warriors but school kinda started throing exams and assinments trying to start agine becuse my computer died
My TMW Wiki page contains my stuff for tmw
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

Magic for warriors? Doesn't the kind of defeat the purpose of not being a mage?

~...
Enchilado
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

I think he/she means war magic.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Coolkid 782
Novice
Novice

Post by Coolkid 782 »

Goku wrote:I think he/she means war magic.
Or he/she means something like special abilities.
~coolkid 782 aka coolkid 782's junk shop