Purpose of GMs

A place for players to do role playing, discuss their guilds, etc.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Purpose of GMs

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Amun wrote:
Rotonen wrote: (We also know of high frequency events and we're going to tone it down a bit.)
See what all your bitching and complaining gets. All you achieved was the above quote. Which is a shame the boost in events recently kept things fresh and interesting. So you managed to appease a few cry babies and ruin the fun of the majority of the community. Rot in hell.
Like the last event where hundreds of clovers were spawned?

We're going to limit events where we do things like spawn monsters.
Doulos
Novice
Novice

Post by Doulos »

Matt wrote:<snip> The "success" of the official TMW server isn't result of the work of our sucky GMs but the support of our beloved polish lady and the fact that it is the official server (standard client connects to it automatically).
+1
Dyna
Novice
Novice

Post by Dyna »

Doulos wrote:
Matt wrote:<snip> The "success" of the official TMW server isn't result of the work of our sucky GMs but the support of our beloved polish lady and the fact that it is the official server (standard client connects to it automatically).
+1
a hearty +1 here
Wishing things were different...hoping for better now.
peavey
Novice
Novice

Post by peavey »

Obvious trollbait is obvious.. Matt, you're getting lazy, you can do better than that :roll: Although I see above you caught a few so I guess it did work after all :lol:
Dyna
Novice
Novice

Post by Dyna »

No peavey its just that we respect Plat and not you...sorry
Wishing things were different...hoping for better now.
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

When Platyna was the only GM, players complained about her too. There will always be people who have complaints about GMs. Sometimes their critique is justified and sometimes, or hopefully most of the time, it's not.
peavey
Novice
Novice

Post by peavey »

Dyna wrote:No peavey its just that we respect Plat and not you...sorry
I didn't ask you to, nor would I ever. Respect is something you earn and is part of a complete package and is very complex. I hardly know you, so I have no idea why you would bring that up? All I'm asking of people posting here about sensitive issues is to do so with mutual respect. And that goes for everybody, no matter who they are and how they are connected to the project. Trying to defuse a tense situation by talking to everybody involved and asking for good form. Sure it might be unpopular to do so, but at the end of the day I do so because I think its the right thing to do, for everybody. If nothing else, then just for the sake of common decency. And if my joking around with Matt got you offended then I'm sorry, but this thread needed some off-topic humour, because it was getting pretty dark in here.

Also, to get back on topic, I asked if you could explain what it is you think is wrong with TMW. In detail, without all the drama and grief. Because I think I'm not the only one who wants to hear your input given the events that unfolded recently. Also, do you think this was all the doing of someone else, as in, you played absolutely no part in it? Because my mirror statement was just a rewrite of the old saying that it takes 2 to tango. So I'd really like to hear if you just without any provocation at all fell victim to any unjust treatment by anyone on the TMW team. Its important we get this situation calmly out in the open and discuss measures to avoid such conflicts in the future, so again, I await some useful input from you on this, to get this discussion on a serious track that can yield some actual progress in understanding and resolving the situation.
Hrvoje
Peon
Peon

Post by Hrvoje »

Doulos wrote:
+1
+2
me noob, hev het?
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

Vink wrote:When Platyna was the only GM, players complained about her too. There will always be people who have complaints about GMs. Sometimes their critique is justified and sometimes, or hopefully most of the time, it's not.
O'rly? I love black PR.

Yes! I was banning alot.
I was banning without any notice...
I never spoken with people to settle things down.
Everyone complained!

In fact, I love making random people sad, this is why I became admin and GM of this game, so what we had 5 players online, it was always 5 people more to harass and overlord.

Do you have more fairy tales? Bring them on! :twisted:

Not to mention I patiently sustain lies and insults about myself, as well as being compared to kiddies banning legends of TMW because they were dropping arrows.

Also I do not envy you seeing no difference between random people complaining (because they crossed the line heavily enough to get banned), and raising months-long constant hell among the community, by putting irresponsible persons in power.

Regards.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

Platyna wrote:
Vink wrote:When Platyna was the only GM, players complained about her too. There will always be people who have complaints about GMs. Sometimes their critique is justified and sometimes, or hopefully most of the time, it's not.
O'rly? I love black PR.

Yes! I was banning alot.
Everyone complained!

In fact, I love making random people sad, this is why I became admin and GM of this game, so what we had 5 players online, it was always 5 people more to harass and overlord.

Do you have more fairy tales? Bring them on! :twisted:

Not to mention I patiently sustain lies and insults about my person, as well as being compared to kiddies banning legends of TMW because they were dropping arrows.

Also I do not envy you seeing no difference between random people complaining (because they crossed the line heavily enough to get banned), and raising months-long constant hell among the community, by putting irresponsible persons in power.

Regards.
lamb is a legend of TMW? Cause Lamb was the only one dropping arrows. But you counldn't mean Lamb cause he was never banned. The three people banned were sitting the whole time and did not drop or pick up 1 arrow. Thus we were banned for another reason. I was told this reason and the mystery why a second GM had to ban us. If we were banned for the drop party stuff Del could of done that herself with out it looking like a conflict of interest. No one wants to discuses the original reason for the ban with me cause it is messy and the paste bin of the full conversation shows it to be also an unfounded allegation. This seems to be a common theme through out the whole incident. That is why my ban was lifted and both GMs are having to be on their best behavior.
So my point is that we the banned never dropped arrows and people have and can continue to testify to that. So if the person who seems to be responsible for helping people coming to the conclusion that we did would kindly stop telling people this I will stop posting about it.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Vink
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Vink »

Platyna wrote:Yes! I was banning alot.
Everyone complained!
Wow. I didn't say that at all. I said there were players who complained back then too, and I did not say they had any good reasons to do so, only that some of them did complain. My point was that any GM should be prepared to face criticism at times, it's part of it.
thedarkfinder
Novice
Novice

Post by thedarkfinder »

Black Don wrote: The three people banned were sitting the whole time and did not drop or pick up 1 arrow. Thus we were banned for another reason. I was told this reason and the mystery why a second GM had to ban us. If we were banned for the drop party stuff Del could of done that herself with out it looking like a conflict of interest. No one wants to discuses the original reason for the ban with me cause it is messy and the paste bin of the full conversation shows it to be also an unfounded allegation.
And that is what really makes me mad about this. It seems to be just a case of "The point is your honour, we know the defendant your honour. If he could have done it, he would have."

That by itself means that they system has failed. When people get banned only for egging on a 4th. There is a problem in enforcing the order. It seems that your only crime was supporting and egging on a person that was disrupting the game.

I could say that it is morally wrong, but legally you had the right to do it.

I think alot of people crossed alot of lines in this case. I think the players, including you, pushed the GMs very hard to hand out bans. I also think that the GMs where is stupid enough to do it.

The bottom line, a player asked you to stop. You did not, that makes you jerks. A gm asked you to stop, you did not, that makes you disruptive. Booting you was the only real option. All the gms have is hammers, the only thing they see is nails. You did your best to look like a nail. Sorry you got hit. The gms need a time out room. Where people that do this can be taken and talked to. I think it is called the botcheck room. Why it was not used is just a mystery.
Platyna
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Platyna »

It was a metaphore. ;) Picking arrows, dropping arrows, whathever.

Regards.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

I can see plainly what caused this problem.
A player says to me you can't do drop parties here!, I'm like, "Yeah Right!" :P
Where is that rule?...well Delasia told Freya no more drop parties.
Half the time such things are rumors, long standing spontaneous events have been the happy tradition.

Sudden rule changes without proper community notice will always cause a similar problem.
It gives the appearance that a GM is creating a new rule.

If you chat in tabs as I do, its very easy to miss conversations that you are waiting for, let alone a GM request.

In town even more so, I type, get up make espresso, type some more, water the yard, type, feed my cat.
Banning for not responding or following a GM in town is a bad idea, it assumes you can give the situation your full attention,
Sometimes I can and sometimes i can not.

*Yes I know those involved were active, apparently, still.

Doorsman has a personality, I have known him for years ...forgive him, his humor is lost on most, I have noticed this.
Remember it is hard to discern intent from typed words, you miss facial cues that are present in normal conversation.

I would like to point out that once the GM's decided to issue temp bans, Black Don was not excluded,
(not any elitism there, as many have proclaimed) and the same standard was applied across the board, right or wrong.
+10 for fairness -5 for banning IMHO
that being said, maybe we can get over it, show a little appreciation for our GM's donated work and get back to goodhearted teasing of GM's :P.....the quiet is a little creepy really :P

*This post may be illegal in Utah!
*All possible disclaimers are hereby claimed!
Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Post by Cotillion »

salmondine wrote:I would like to point out that once the GM's decided to issue temp bans, Black Don was not excluded,
(not any elitism there, as many have proclaimed) and the same standard was applied across the board, right or wrong.
While you may be correct here, everyone was punished / persecuted evenly, my problem is that this is not the case when GM's try to apply a standard punishment across instances. The rules should be clear and the punishment should be clear. Documented is a must.

Although I don't agree with all the rules I can certainly abide by them. The ONLY thing I look for in a GM is to enforce those rules in a consistent manner. I don't want GM's making subjective decisions. If a rule is unclear, GM's should work to clarify the rule with the community and update said rules accordingly.