Admin Selection/ rights

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Magick
Novice
Novice

Admin Selection/ rights

Post by Magick »

You should devide the admin rights up between the developers and the people who you are letting become a admin later on. Below i will show you what i mean.

HGM(God) The few leaders of the game wich can do mapping and things.
Abilites- Kick,freeze,warp,mute,map, server reset.

GM (Game Master) The developers of the game. Spriter's, programers, art,music and website. Abilites- Kick, freeze, mute,warp.

Guide- Trusted helper-kick,warp

To have a good game it requires a ceartin amount of people to watch over the game, thus the name admin. It is hard for one ceartin person to be on all the time wich is why its better for the team that develops the game to also have the ablities, but not all. As this game grows and gets more and more players there will be more and more problems with the players and people that do not act right in the game, wich every game gets. This is my suggestion to you. Call the rights whatever name's you want the names i choose were just the best one's i could think of :P.

~Magick~
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

I think thats sitll a ways down the road...

not enough players to consider it yet unless yuo wanted people on there just to help people...

right now not much of cheating that I have heard of... so until that starts also no need
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

Yes i know that but there is no diffrence in adding them now then adding them later.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

There is, as this will require modifications to the server. We'll implement it as we get there with the new server.
Major_Nuggs
Peon
Peon

Post by Major_Nuggs »

In my experience, I usually try to get as much of the admin stuff as possible done first, it's part of the basic server.. Not going all out and adding a bunch of admin commands..

kicking and banning are definitly almost always on top list.

different logging states for different admins also..

Not that I am trying to tell you how to run the game.. just passing ideas and stuff..

Server reboots and the like.. Especially hotboots.. those are pretty handy to be able to restart the server without having to boot players and have downtime..

Just takes some extra error handling and some forks and such for dropping cores in the event of a crash.

And prevention of infinite loops..

Though signal handling is also one of the first things I do..

Then again, I don't know if you folks run on linux servers or use ms.. then again, I don't know why anyone would want to run a server on ms.. Can't get the same functionality as you can with Linux imho.

But, I do feel that there is a need for _some_ basic admin controls early on in the server development stage.

BTW are you guys ditching the eAthena server and going with a custom one?

I may still have some code laying around that you might be interested in just for bits and pieces of free code. heh.

bah, no sleep so i am blabbing about i don't even know what..

just kick me in the head and tell me to shut up. heh.

i'll quit posting. :p :)

regards,
dead tired anthony who is so tired he can't sleep.
The best part of waking up, is satan in your cup!
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Yeah we hope to leave soon eAthena to switch to our own serve and we're interested in any code/help/suggestion you could give us :D
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

What did you think about my idea's for the admin rights elven? Do you think that would work or is it to much?
Major_Nuggs
Peon
Peon

Post by Major_Nuggs »

I'll try and dig around on my old harddrives and on my other servers for the code..

It had some pretty nice features..

A fully implemented event queue type system which manages the entire server(networking and all), signal handling, commands that were loaded as libraries, account system that worked really well.. and a bunch of on the fly debugging features..

Just have to try and find the code.. I did some searching earlier but only have some older versions of it.. :/ Had a module system from a MUD I used to work on which has a GPL license but I rewrote what I wanted so it would fit my license.. and anything I borrowed from past projects under a different license..

So i'm not sure how much I could contribute.. and also, it was all wrote in C.. I still believe servers should be kept in C.. At least on a *nix platform.. There's just too much functionality in C++ for a server.. I like to try and force myself to keep it simple on server side stuff so it wont get overloaded.. when you need to load all kinds of crap that could only be handled on client side with the server you get a lot of stress on your server that you could prevent using slightly longer but in the long run faster methods.

I'll try and reproduce what I had before.. and see what I come up with..

Then I'll post a tarball of what I've done. heh.

BTW I use the enet networking library.. I started using TCP but I don't need full TCP capability.. so I switched to a UDP library that had TCP functionallity..

it's actually really nice and once you get the hang of it, it can be really effiencient.. which is why I had to make my event queue system.. because of networking.. didn't want my game looping that much just checking for connections so I created an event that wouldn't interfer with the rest of the server to check for connections and such.. it works like a charm. I just gotta find the harddrive that has it on it. :/

Anyways, I hope I can help out in some way. This game freaking pwns!

w00t. :)

Regards,
Anthony

*sorry for typos.. I am having a party by myself and have had a few beers now. :p
The best part of waking up, is satan in your cup!
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Actually the GM structure wouldn't require any changes to eAthena.
This message used to be meaningful.
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

Magick wrote:What did you think about my idea's for the admin rights elven? Do you think that would work or is it to much?
I guess it could do the trick but we will have to test it a lot and balance it after it's implemented on the new server
Magick
Novice
Novice

Post by Magick »

Ok. Im always willing to help :)