Daily Quest Proposal

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Daily Quest Proposal

Post by salmondine »

The basic idea is to have:
1. NPC who issues daily quest based on server time, who issues credits for completed quests.
2. Credits are redeemable for prizes...say 15, 30, 100, 300 credits.
3. Quest stays active until completed, new quest is available 24 hours after last successfully completed quest was issued.
4. Prize Values should be appropriate to number of days spent on quests :P
5. There should be 3 scaled choices for each daily quest, newbie, medium, high level.*
*yes a high level could do newbie quest, but little exp points in that...lol. (Built in penalty)
or choice could be limited, hard coded to level range.

*Quests could be simply: bring me (#?) Black scorpion stingers...etc.

I could see doing a daily quest for 300 days if the reward was ample...
it would also take some pressure off developing 1X quests, while providing a constant play incentive.

Feel free to comment, elaborate, augment, mutilate or destroy! =]
*Do not fold or spindle, may not be legal throughout Utah!
*All possible disclaimers are Hereby Claimed!

*Podling in-game =]
Last edited by salmondine on 15 Aug 2009, 23:10, edited 1 time in total.
Goku
Knight
Knight

Re: Daily Quest Proposal

Post by Goku »

I like this idea would make the game much more fun, but would be better if the quests were more fun.

"Bring me # scorpion stingers" or bug legs or maggot slimes, etc would get boring and people would just be doing it for the prize not for fun.

Edit: Maybe you should repost this in suggestions.. not that this is a wrong place to put it but it would get more attention over there.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

No, quest development fits here.

Do tag it [CPT] for concept, though.
This message used to be meaningful.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Where should this post go then? please move it to correct place =]
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

Rotonen said it could stay here so it's fine.. I think this is the best place for it, but most non devs don't check here and some player feedback would be nice.
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Do you plan to have these quests generated randomly? Because creating them manually would be too much maintainance work.

When you do it automatically I think that "bring ten X" quests will become repetive quite quickly, especially when you divide the common monster drops we have into three different tiers. Do you have any other suggestions what kind of quests could be auto-generated?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

When i said: *Quests could be simply: bring me (#?) Black scorpion stingers...etc.
I certainly was not trying to limit the quest content.

The NPC could ask for any item currently in game, including crafted items.
Example bring me Dark Green Dye, I picked dark green dye for an example of fun game mechanics already in place.
by mixing dropped items, counted monster kills and crafted items, this would assure fun =]
But working for the prizes or awards is the idea, if that is a little monotonous too bad :P
I think these quests should not be too easy
*2 or 3 hrs average to complete, but some could be much harder.
a player can choose not to do that daily quest, or even abandon the daily quest attempted, however it will be 24 hours server time before a new quest can be given out.
??? Profit!
Peon
Peon

Post by ??? Profit! »

First of all, I'd like to change the word 'quest' to 'task'.

The tasks don't need to be just "Get me x amount of y". How about getting the reward by visiting a couple of distant locations (this might need to be done "by hand"). Maybe the player has to talk to some NPCs. The NPCs, of course, don't need to say anything special related to the tasks. I am not sure if the current scripting engine allows it but there could be tasks like "Kill 10 scorpions.". No drops involved. Bringing dyed items could be interesting, too. As well as #parum (correct?) stuffs.

About the level system: Players start with easy tasks like killing some maggots and after making x amount of tasks, players advance to another level with harder monsters to kill, rarer drops to collect and more distant NPCs and locations to visit. There could be a different NPC for each level and all the NPC are scattered around the game world. Maybe the "Task Master" of the lowest level can be found in the middle of the Tulimshar (so new players can do a task right away!) and NPC of the highest level is in the Snake Cave!

The rewards could be items like iron ores, pinkie hats, four-leaf clovers and other rare stuff. Items which could only be gotten with credits would be more than cool. But I don't know if there is anything usable lying in the Graphics Development forum... :)

In my opinion, 2 hours is quite much and it is hard to add that much content... I'd prefer short but exciting tasks.

(If the scripting langauge isn't too hard to learn. I could help doing some of the stuff like the locations...)
Coolkid 782
Novice
Novice

Post by Coolkid 782 »

How bout doing it by lvls?
If u r "x" lvl then u get to do "y" quest and how hard it is depends on your lvl. If the charactor forgets about it and they lvl without doing the quest they could still be able to do it. :mrgreen:
~coolkid 782 aka coolkid 782's junk shop
Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Post by Cotillion »

salmondine wrote:When i said: *Quests could be simply: bring me (#?) Black scorpion stingers...etc.
I certainly was not trying to limit the quest content.

The NPC could ask for any item currently in game, including crafted items.
Example bring me Dark Green Dye, I picked dark green dye for an example of fun game mechanics already in place.
by mixing dropped items, counted monster kills and crafted items, this would assure fun =]
But working for the prizes or awards is the idea, if that is a little monotonous too bad :P
I think these quests should not be too easy
*2 or 3 hrs average to complete, but some could be much harder.
a player can choose not to do that daily quest, or even abandon the daily quest attempted, however it will be 24 hours server time before a new quest can be given out.

This made me think of

http://www.clichequest.com/index.php?pos=20

ROFL
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

How about a daily boss monster that is really very very strong and will take a party of people maybe an hour to defeat.

It could spawn on a random map in any of the game, even occasionally in a town!
~Feline Monstrosity
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

feline monstrosity wrote:How about a daily boss monster that is really very very strong and will take a party of people maybe an hour to defeat.

It could spawn on a random map in any of the game, even occasionally in a town!
As soon as we have a mechanism for aggro transfer, this can be achieved in a sensible way. On my checklist of things to do for eA.
This message used to be meaningful.
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

*is at a friend's place, and has about ten minutes on the forum...*
*comes back from the dead...*
*realises it's only been about a week...*

Okay, I kind of like this idea, and I kind of don't. Don't have time to say much more than this. I think rather than monotonous and rather repetitive automatically generated quests, there could be hand-made quests - even if there was only one a fortnight, players would be looking forward to the next one, wondering what it would be. These would not be regular, however, to avoide complaints. These would arrive when they were ready.
Also, the rewards could not be only available at that quest. This would create an unbelieveable and ridiculous amount of unobtainables, and also you'd have to make another item every fornight too.

~it'll stop the game being the same every day!
Enchilado
Goku
Knight
Knight

Post by Goku »

regular quests/events already happen.. this was an idea for a daily quest
IGN - Trunks
Pixel Artist In Training
Work On Forest Armor
And Forest Monster
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

Quests don't happen that often. These would be temporary quest every fortnight or so (I reckon you could make a simple quest that often easily), probably earning points as suggested.

~like "Deliver this Pin*" or something...
Enchilado

P.s

* Ever played Progress Quest??