In-game editor

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Asmageddon
Peon
Peon

In-game editor

Post by Asmageddon »

I think, that it would be really great idea to add an in-game editor accesed trough "Develop" button in main menu, it would be something like ofline game mode (with still having to be logged in) featuring:
-Map editor (with option to load tilesets from file/reload tilesets)
-Entity editor for creating and tuning new monsters, items nad other objects, with possibility to import sprites from files, and to edit object parameters/scripts
-(maybe)Some simple graphic editing program for creating/recoloring(replace, HSV/RGB curves, and maybe some simple filters) sprites, this editor would be accesed as a in-game window used to create/tune sprites for new objects.

User-created content would be available for this user in his own offline world, but its main purpose would be option to send it to TMW server, and let admins/developers modify it, and add as regular content available for all players as an update. Also system for rating other people's work would be good. I'm sure, that this feature would speed up development process a lot.

Of course players who create stuff could state, that they do not allow developers to modify it, and let them decide if they want it like that, or if they do not. Choose if it is available for other players to download and modify, etc.

I will appreciate all comments/feedback.

EDIT:

Also a "requested" section would be nice, divided into three parts Main Developers requests, lesser developers requests and Player requests. With system, that would allow someone to "pick up" one of tasks, and just start developing it.

I forgot to write it, but I promise, that I will create some graphics, items (at least one player-set), and monsters (at least two), if you will add this feature. Why? Because I really want to help, and I'm a bit lazy, so I'm not interested with downloading separate templates/searching for requests, map editor, etc. but as said - I will make something for you
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Re: In-game editor

Post by Turmfalke »

The Mana World OS
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We do have plans to add a map test mode by version 0.1.1. But creating content in the client is far beyond what is appropriate for what we're going for with the client. Note that very little of what you see in game is actually distributed with the client. Raw interface graphics (basically the interface skin and wallpaper) and backup graphics ("?" for unknown item icons and "error" for sprites) are about it. With that in mind, even the map test mode will be daunting to do. Let alone creation of new content.
Asmageddon
Peon
Peon

Post by Asmageddon »

:(
Too bad, but I'll create something for You anyway.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Asmageddon wrote: -Map editor (with option to load tilesets from file/reload tilesets)
-Entity editor for creating and tuning new monsters, items nad other objects, with possibility to import sprites from files, and to edit object parameters/scripts
-(maybe)Some simple graphic editing program for creating/recoloring(replace, HSV/RGB curves, and maybe some simple filters) sprites, this editor would be accesed as a in-game window used to create/tune sprites for new objects.
We are using external tools for this which do the job better than anything we could create and integrate into the engine ourself with reasonable effort.
User-created content would be available for this user in his own offline world, but its main purpose would be option to send it to TMW server, and let admins/developers modify it, and add as regular content available for all players as an update. Also system for rating other people's work would be good. I'm sure, that this feature would speed up development process a lot.
The Mana World is not Second Life. While we encourage people to take part in the development we prefer to have some control over the development process of every piece to ensure that it fits into the game and most of all to make sure that people don't just steal graphics from other games.
Of course players who create stuff could state, that they do not allow developers to modify it, and let them decide if they want it like that, or if they do not. Choose if it is available for other players to download and modify, etc.
TMW and everything around it is licensed under the GNU General Public License. The most important part of the GPL is allowing others to modify your work. We won't accept any content released under different conditions.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.