[WIP] > [FND] Player Glow

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Asmageddon
Peon
Peon

[WIP] > [FND] Player Glow

Post by Asmageddon »

It is red only, so it can be easily recolored, it have got 5 frames differing in strength of glow, so they can both be used as animation, and for auras of various strength.
I think it is finished, so here are first three frames of female aura:
1st frame for females
1st frame for females
Female-1.png (68.7 KiB) Viewed 2551 times
2nd frame for females
2nd frame for females
Female-2.png (80.9 KiB) Viewed 2549 times
3rd frame for females
3rd frame for females
Female-3.png (87.67 KiB) Viewed 2548 times
I'll post rest of frames on replies (why must there be maximum of 3 attachments?)
Last edited by Asmageddon on 30 Aug 2009, 11:53, edited 1 time in total.
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Re: My work (Asmageddon)

Post by Matt »

Nice idea, we can realize special auras with that. But it would look better if you use less/thinner glow ;)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Please use a different thread for every single one of your projects. This will make it much easier to find something you made. For this reason I renamed this thread to [WIP] Player Glow

Now for this work itself: It looks quite impressive considering how easy it is to make, but I wonder fow well it will work when the character isn't nude but wearing equipment.

It could be made more awesome by adding a pulsating animation for the "immobile" animation phases (yes, our animation system can do this).
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] Player Glow (was: My work (Asmageddon))

Post by Jumpy »

and how great that wold fit with realm of feath and the underground

great idea thanks

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Asmageddon
Peon
Peon

Re: [WIP] Player Glow (was: My work (Asmageddon))

Post by Asmageddon »

EDIT: Deleted my post, now here are last two frames of female glow, and first of male glow:
4th frame of female glow
4th frame of female glow
Female-4.png (96.89 KiB) Viewed 2547 times
5th frame for female glow.
5th frame for female glow.
Female-5.png (104.92 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
note: in fact it is stronger, than previous one, it just looks so on white bg.
1st frame for male glow.
1st frame for male glow.
Male-1.png (72.33 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
Rest of frames will be posted on my next posts (argh, that stupid limit of 3 attachments)
Last edited by Asmageddon on 30 Aug 2009, 11:59, edited 1 time in total.
Asmageddon
Peon
Peon

Re: [WIP] Player Glow

Post by Asmageddon »

EDIT: deleted post, now there will be 2nd, 3rd and 4th frames of male glow.
2nd frame of male glow.
2nd frame of male glow.
Male-2.png (81.08 KiB) Viewed 2543 times
3rd frame of male glow.
3rd frame of male glow.
Male-3.png (87.87 KiB) Viewed 2545 times
4th frame of male glow.
4th frame of male glow.
Male-4.png (96.88 KiB) Viewed 2544 times
Last edited by Asmageddon on 30 Aug 2009, 12:02, edited 2 times in total.
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

A question, would walking cause the aura to increase slightly more on the back side of the avatar and become narrower on the front side of the avatar?
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

an aura effect would make a great addition, particularly if coupled with spellcasting animations (*cough*). However, wouldn't it be preferable to compute the aura programmatically, on-the-fly? (Caching the results, of course). That would make it easy to include equipment sprites.

(Yes, I do realise that no-one is probably bored enough to implement that just because I suggested it. I thought I should mention the idea, though, since it would be a preferable solution.)

-- fate
Asmageddon
Peon
Peon

Post by Asmageddon »

fate wrote: an aura effect would make a great addition, particularly if coupled with spellcasting animations (*cough*). However, wouldn't it be preferable to compute the aura programmatically, on-the-fly? (Caching the results, of course). That would make it easy to include equipment sprites.
Yes, it would be, but use of pixel shaders would increase hardware requirements, and as far as I know this game is supposed to run on old PC's.

And in fact I created it, because I wanted to create something for this game, and I am too lazy to create something, that requires much work. Computing it basing on character equipment will probably not be necessary, as my aura is a little blured on inside too, so it should not be so striking, unless as I said earlier - helmet would be much bigger than head.
Asmageddon
Peon
Peon

Re: [WIP] > [FND] Player Glow

Post by Asmageddon »

Sorry for doubling my post, and for deleting previous one, but I needed to post frames of animation somewhere, and there is limit of 3 attachments per post, so here s last frame (others are on my other posts)
5th frame of male animation.
5th frame of male animation.
Male-5.png (104.81 KiB) Viewed 2539 times
zick
Novice
Novice

Post by zick »

Crush wrote:Now for this work itself: It looks quite impressive considering how easy it is to make, but I wonder fow well it will work when the character isn't nude but wearing equipment.
Crush, what if it was just a solid layer (with no hole in the middle) that is drawn under the player sprite, possibly even a separate sprite. That might make it easier ...
Spit23
Novice
Novice

Post by Spit23 »

zick wrote:
Crush wrote:Now for this work itself: It looks quite impressive considering how easy it is to make, but I wonder fow well it will work when the character isn't nude but wearing equipment.
Crush, what if it was just a solid layer (with no hole in the middle) that is drawn under the player sprite, possibly even a separate sprite. That might make it easier ...
I really like the idea but if the glow doesn't really match the equipement the player wears I think it will look like crap.