Magic 3, 4 and the wait

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Cotillion
Novice
Novice

Magic 3, 4 and the wait

Post by Cotillion »

While we wait for Fate to return.

Can I suggest we get the debug version of ask-magic-exp back. I can understand the hesitation there because the debug does give out some very detailed information about about magic, so let me propose an alternative.

The General Magic level given by the seed hasn't required a quest as of yet, so my assumption that the next general magic levels will be the same. If General Magic 3 or 3 and 4 were enabled, then we would be able to use ask-magic-exp as it is today to get a good estimate as to how we are progressing with magic.

Right now anyone who has magic lvl 2 with a ratio >= 10 and has completed all of the school magics = 2, is at a visible stall with their magic progression.

or .... anything other than go back to standing in a tree hat and killing 5K clovers.
Inkweaver
Novice
Novice

Re: Magic 3, 4 and the wait

Post by Inkweaver »

Yeah, it's kind of sad.

I finished all the quests and leveled up in magic much faster than I expected. Hopefully the next levels will be even more difficult. :wink:
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

Inkweaver wrote:I finished all the quests and leveled up in magic much faster than I expected. Hopefully the next levels will be even more difficult. :wink:
You are probably rich or you had already most of the items you needed.
For newer people or for those who are poorer learning magic is quite hard.. specially if you want to be a pure mage and not a fighter/ranger.

Please don't make it harder, and use more the INT instead, so that being an INT-based character isn't so lame. Strong fighters shouldn't have strong magic.
Enchilado!
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Enchilado! »

Yeah... check out my stats of 1, 1, 35, 84, 1, 1. Do you know how expensive it is to kill things?
Someone said higher levels of magic will have free attack spells. I hope so.

~aargh~! The wait~!
Enchilado
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

Yeah, I took a peak. Flare dart is free at magic lvl 3 while lightning bolt, magic protect and other spells only become free at magic lvl 4. We won't see frightening mages casting lightning all day long anytime soon...
DragonM
Peon
Peon

Post by DragonM »

WOAA
i hoppe youre right that what youre saying in magic lvl 3 we need no items for making flare-dart.I always wished to have a war spell that dosent cost anything!!:D ! It costs a lot to make flare-dart as a noob(getting better)when you havent enough dex even when you use all stat points on it!
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

hold your horses-- the relevant code is entirely tentative. I've received some feedback lately that suggests that some more balancing in levels 1 and 2 is necessary first anyway, as well as addressing concerns expressed by melee fighters and archers. And client bugfixes. And monster AI overhauls. And perhaps some server bugfixes. And perhaps some graphics for the existing magical attacks, which do look rather bland (for the most part)...

So please don't rely on anything too much for now.

Also note that the goal has always been that mages, melee fighters, archers, and `multi-class' characters have different strengths and weaknesses. This would further encourage teamplay/social interaction by allowing groups to complement each other. At present my impression is that mages are being shunned by players of other `classes' for some reason, which was never the intent: identifying and addressing the causes for this has priority over adding new spell levels.

-- fate
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

hi fate

too much results in attak against skulls is the main thing that is reproach i think

i was upset by this in the begining
but i always helped mage against mobs attak or quit my armors so that they can get good xp healing

let's go for these teams you are talking about
there is a lot to gain for the game

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Fern
Novice
Novice

Post by Fern »

fate wrote:This would further encourage teamplay/social interaction by allowing groups to complement each other.
What about some mage-killer monsters that are immune to magic and warrior-killer monsters who only can be killed by magic, both on the same map and both aggressive. So, only mixed teams of warriors and mages would be able to survive there, by collaborating.
DragonM
Peon
Peon

Post by DragonM »

hmm thats not a bad ideaa.....
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

we are currently considering to field-test this in the next version.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.