Helping new player

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Nasir
Peon
Peon

Helping new player

Post by Nasir »

Hello dear dev,

Some player are not helping new player. They try to ask them for password, give them wrong advice, take ther item, etc...
The dev and the GM have ther name in color in order to minimise those kind of problem.
Some player like me are great helper.
So you can put their name in color like blue to show that player can trusted.
Of course, they should be verification and approbation before giving that kind of status to a player.
If you love and apply my idea, new player won't have trouble to get help, player who are asked for help but don't know the answer we will know where to refer the new player, player who want to give a litle help by giving key for exemple will know in wich hand to put them and GM wil have more time to their other GM stuff.

What do you think about my idea?
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Re: Helping new player

Post by Jumpy »

nice idea but problem is that the day you won't have the will, motivation or will simply be occupied getting married some players will treat you with any nice names because you'll say

sorry not today i'm busy-getting married or whatever the truth you'll say as the newcomers will consider this is your job

just thoughts on how i saw people treating great players well know and appreciate in the comunity. made me mad to see those situations. ahhhh human nature so cruel you are...

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

We talked about this internally a while ago and came to the conclusion that it would be too much organization work for the benefit.

1. Who decides who is trustworthy and who isn't? The screening of participants in this program would have to be very thoroughly to avoid that black sheep sneak their way into the team and ruin any trust build up. There is noone who has time for this.
2. Newbies wouldn't know what the differently colored names mean. "Hey, I got a blue name. This means you can trust me." - "Yeah, suuure...."
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

Jumpy wrote:nice idea but problem is that the day you won't have the will, motivation or will simply be occupied getting married some players will treat you with any nice names because you'll say

sorry not today i'm busy-getting married or whatever the truth you'll say as the newcomers will consider this is your job

just thoughts on how i saw people treating great players well know and appreciate in the comunity. made me mad to see those situations. ahhhh human nature so cruel you are...

Regards

As opposed to colored names, I'd just go with HELPER hats or shirts or something. And a dress code. That way the person doesn't have to be a helper if they are getting married, not feeling like it or whatever. As far as the screenings go, got me there.
Turmfalke
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Turmfalke »

They ask for the pw of a newbie player? that doesn't makes much sense to me, also you can't replace common sense with a coloured name.
I stand beside the holy man
The monarchs fear my wrath
None may move the way I can
Ever the crooked path
a knight
Nasir
Peon
Peon

Post by Nasir »

Crush wrote:We talked about this internally a while ago and came to the conclusion that it would be too much organization work for the benefit.

1. Who decides who is trustworthy and who isn't? The screening of participants in this program would have to be very thoroughly to avoid that black sheep sneak their way into the team and ruin any trust build up. There is noone who has time for this.
2. Newbies wouldn't know what the differently colored names mean. "Hey, I got a blue name. This means you can trust me." - "Yeah, suuure...."
Who decides who is trustworthly to be a GM? It's a litle bit the same thing.
The GM already know some people that are trustable. You can begin by those and tehy can help after fo "test" new player for the post.

At the begining of the game, NPC explaine some basic stuff of the game. You can add that info in their scripte. Other player will know and can also refer them.
Ceros wrote:As opposed to colored names, I'd just go with HELPER hats or shirts or something. And a dress code. That way the person doesn't have to be a helper if they are getting married, not feeling like it or whatever. As far as the screenings go, got me there.
That's a good idea to