Spawning Parties?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Spawning Parties?

Post by Wombat »

http://server.themanaworld.org/gm/gm.log.2009-08

I thought the GMs were no longer having spawning parties (GMs spawning monsters). I've heard it in the past and I heard it in the last incident with Black Don, Dyna, Dimond and who ever else from devs that these types of things need to be less frequent. However, checking the GM log, there are a lot of them, even after the 15th when I heard the request made.

If there are going to be spawning parties, the times should be more regular so anyone can attend. Looking at the GM log again, they tend to favor certain times with some variance, but not much.

With most events that the developers hold, there is usually something going on the entire day and it is usually a response to some sort of holiday.

With the GMs, it seems these spawning parties happen most frequently when one particular GM is on during the time they are acting as GM. After the 15th they did reduce, but they are still being done without any announcement and because of the latest of these spawning parties, a player was threatened and punished, which I find to be unacceptable.

I miss out on these parties a lot. If there was some sort of announcement or if the GMs collaborated together so that such events were an all day (24 hour) affair, it would be a little more fair. If certain things aren't allowed for the party they should be stated clearly beforehand. If something was done that caused problems but isn't against the game rules, the GM should make note of it and rule afterwards so future incidents are prevented. This is how normal protocol in many, if not most life situations work.

This thread below was created because the GM wasn't clear about how the spawning party was to behave. Another player is upset because they had a different strategy that acted as an x-factor to the GM. Preventative measures should be taken so that players know what is allowed beforehand, rather than in the spur of the moment, which keeps creating player resentment of the GMs:
http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =12&t=8011
Current character is "Abolish".
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Re: Spawning Parties?

Post by Jumpy »

+1
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

"There's nothing to do man, I'm Duck bored"

How many times do you hear that. All the time. So a GM goes and tries and make a spontaneous even to give players something to do, and all they get is bitching for it. "There's nothing to do!" "Man, screw these GMs for trying to give us something to do!"

[quote=Wombat]If there are going to be spawning parties, the times should be more regular so anyone can attend. Looking at the GM log again, they tend to favor certain times with some variance, but not much.[/quote]

If they are happening at certain times, with some variance but not much, that sounds pretty regular to me.

If the events aren't going on when you are on, why not ask whatever GM happens to be on to spawn one for you.

"I can't get it so no one can!"

Give me a break.
Delasia
Novice
Novice

Post by Delasia »

Ceros wrote:If the events aren't going on when you are on, why not ask whatever GM happens to be on to spawn one for you.

"I can't get it so no one can!"

Give me a break.

Take a closer look at those logs.
Look at who is active...............I use those scenario spawning parties as just as much of a stress relief as I do to keep people happy. Happy people are a good thing.

Wombat.....Your the same time zone as me......and you still choose not to come.
Last edited by Delasia on 26 Aug 2009, 20:26, edited 2 times in total.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.."if all you keep in your toolbox is a hammer, then the only way YOU can fix things is pound it"..
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

I think that any events should be announced on the forum at least 24 hours in advance. This would free GMs of the suspicion that they are only doing events for the people they like.

Also note that Game Masters are not entertainers in my opinion. The community should also feel responsible for making the game world more lively and entertaining. I miss the days where the HMC was still doing all kinds of creative events.
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Savi
Novice
Novice

Post by Savi »

I have been an admin on other games and the worst thing is having people asking for a comp or contest. The admins and mods in the game I played never had contests when asked. All contests were started randomly with no pre-notice unless it was a major event.
I can see where random drop parties can occur from time to time with no advance notification. If you plan on having a major event then it should be broadcasted or posted ahead of time on forum for all to participate. GMs get bored too, thats why they throw out a random comp from time to time.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

I agree with Crush.

Delasia, I keep different hours despite having the same time zone. I also have other commitments, but sometimes I'd like to show up for an event if I had prior knowledge. If my guild is having an event or if there is a holiday, I will make time to play.
Delasia
Novice
Novice

Post by Delasia »

Crush wrote:I think that any events should be announced on the forum at least 24 hours in advance. This would free GMs of the suspicion that they are only doing events for the people they like.

Also note that Game Masters are not entertainers in my opinion. The community should also feel responsible for making the game world more lively and entertaining. I miss the days where the HMC was still doing all kinds of creative events.
Thank you Crush for your input. As I stated earlier.....look at the logs.

The impromptu events(if you can call them that) are usually story lines....not for certain people in particular, and they are announced with the /announce .......then are ran when i have a few minutes in my WORK DAY, and I see alot of ppl on line. Less then 100 I usually dont do them. They have run in the morning (my time), they have run in the afternoon, and they have run at night.

As I said Happy People or better people. If a 10 or 15 minute distraction buts them in a better mood, why not, takes the tension away from bickerers, and takes the load off of the GM.
To announce an EVENT(which IMHO, these are not Event quality), again just minute distractions, 24 hours in advance, you need a GM to commit to a SPECIFIC time.....again....look at the logs. I am up early morning to do a round, I run a minimum of IRC at work for 10 hours (so I can be reached) and I have this at home for a minimum of 3 hours. Of late, I even wake in the middle of the night to us the facilities I will fire up to do a quick round. Addicted or dedicated, either way volunteer.

My apologies to you and the community if I use what I have access to in order to try and keep the gamers entertained enough to want to stay.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
.."if all you keep in your toolbox is a hammer, then the only way YOU can fix things is pound it"..
doorsman
Warrior
Warrior

Post by doorsman »

Reading the logs, Delasia is not the only one doing those. If you look at CaptainAwesome and MasterKenobi, they are doing them as well.
As Crush said, they should be announced though.

Regards,
Still on freenode network #manacentral. On the Web at www.manacentral.net

Patience, Integrity and Truth. A harsh Reality...

doors
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Talk:GM Guidelines, Event Planning

This section has been sitting in the GM Guidelines section for some time. I think that Crush's current proposal (24 hours) is acceptable, but I have no decision making power on that. I have completed a GM Guideline proposal that is seeking approval. If there are desired amendments that want to be pushed by a developer or GM for this proposal, please add it in the Talk section "Wombat's Proposal" and I'll find a way to work it into the current proposal before final approval is reached.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

Here is an image of the spawning party today. It wasn't announced on the forums. I don't really see much of an attempt to communicate these things prior to them occurring and I don't see an attempt to offer them to a variety of timezones for such events. I don't know how much these things are communicated to others outside of the GM that holds them. I participated in today's spawning party and I enjoyed it. I'm just saying it would be nice to make sure that more effort was made so others can enjoy them.
Delasia
Novice
Novice

Post by Delasia »

Wombat wrote:Image

Here is an image of the spawning party today. It wasn't announced on the forums. I don't really see much of an attempt to communicate these things prior to them occurring and I don't see an attempt to offer them to a variety of timezones for such events. I don't know how much these things are communicated to others outside of the GM that holds them. I participated in today's spawning party and I enjoyed it. I'm just saying it would be nice to make sure that more effort was made so others can enjoy them.
Thank you Wombat for participating in todays events.
You are not online 24/7 therefore do not see what I try and do in the mornings as well.

These happen when I see over 100 people on line, and alot of people just sitting around being bored.

These are advertised via Broadcasts (hence you knew about them) but if you insist on them being 24 hour notification I can tell you I will be unable to commit to a specific time. Considering at this time I am the only active GM, then I guess these will stop.

Cheers and thanks again for your enjoyment,.

Delasia
peavey
Novice
Novice

Post by peavey »

I agree, just stop doing them. No matter if you announce it a week ahead someone will complain they were not able to attend. :roll:

Spontaneous fun/distraction - no, we can't have that, god forbid.
Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

peavey wrote:I agree, just stop doing them. No matter if you announce it a week ahead someone will complain they were not able to attend. :roll:

Spontaneous fun/distraction - no, we can't have that, god forbid.
It's structured fun or no fun. Had fun at the Spawning Parties even if I did get wiped alot of times. I liked the theme and the proximity to Hurnscald, even newbies who got killed could get right back into it. Sorry if you're not doing them anymore.
Wombat
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Wombat »

It would be nice if the both of you examined Crush's points in the Talk section of GM Guidelines. If you don't think these events create an unfair advantage by not being a full day's affair, create an argument to counter the points he's made on this subject.

My points are that events need to be announced prior to them occurring and that it would be nice (though perhaps not exactly possible) to make sure the event is offered for an entire 24 hour period.

Let's say Delasia is the "event organizer". She can talk to developers and GMs who have spawning powers to create a day long event by coordinating with them. There are private forums for devs and GMs to talk on, they have access to IRC and email. I am not suggesting a 0 or 100% issue here. This is being posted in the suggestions section because it isn't about striking down Delasia, Master Kenobi or who ever is holding these events. It is about finding a way that these things can be held.

A spawning party once or twice a month that spawns something once an hour for a 24 hour period can be difficult to manage. Asking for some effort doesn't have to be poo pooed as if I'm raining on your party when that isn't the case.