Daily Quest Proposal

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

ManaMaster
Peon
Peon

Re: Daily Quest Proposal

Post by ManaMaster »

What if the person who game the tasks based on level, would help you learn new things. like "go and find out how to make 3 small potions" would help a player learn where you can make potions. The quest in the picture is an example of a level one quest.
Attachments
Daily Quest.jpg
Daily Quest.jpg (136.86 KiB) Viewed 2835 times
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

hi

i don't know
in a first position i thought good idea
automatisation of some quests like mixing randomely npc, items, mobs

but then in a second position
...and the storyline?...
what will it bring to the game?
another contest and stats on who's first in credit points won in daily quests?

so i am just in a middle of a yes and a no

i'll go thinking about this because there's something to dig inside of that... but what's the goal?
what would be the interest for a lvl25 player to get a quest one day like kill a jack0 and bring me his head :D
i go and trade a jack0 head and come back and get the credits?
how to vehiculate and link the fact you really killed the jack0?

so many things around that...

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
ManaMaster
Peon
Peon

Post by ManaMaster »

well a lvl 25 wouldn't be told to kill a jack o, im lvl 39 and i cant kill one, and if it told you to kill one and bring its head, if you traded for its head it would be 1/2 of the quest done, because you still half to kill one. a jack o head is rare ish, it would more likely to say kill a jack o and bring me its soul.
teh_NickSauce
Peon
Peon

Post by teh_NickSauce »

Maybe have it work into the storyline like the daily quest is to collect wood to build a new town or extensions to towns. Things that can be worked in so the player feels like he/she is helping develop the world in a weird kinda way :)

Also dont be so lazy about adding a new quest in... Use items you already have for it...
Jumpy
Knight
Knight

Post by Jumpy »

GM made today 3 events

one for levels till lvl 30
clever prices and interesting
one much more interesting than drop partyes as it had a storyline going on
great launching of mobs around
one in the snake pit
with some skulls around and imo the best raid in snake pit i ever had :)

thanks GM's and devs also

Regards
DBMP - BMS - HFDI
Don't Bring Me Problems - Bring Me Solution
and Have Fun Doing It : P

lvl 99 89 56 51 47 42 7
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Jumpy wrote: but then in a second position
...and the storyline?...
what will it bring to the game?
another contest and stats on who's first in credit points won in daily quests?

so i am just in a middle of a yes and a no
I have thought about this some,
NPC could be a Time Traveler, Bounty Hunter or a Wealthy Collector
a time traveler would want items to repair the future or the past
a bounty hunter would pay bounties.
a rich collector is obsessive compulsive.
but.....The Inspector is already in place, he could want items for many reasons, raffle, policeman's ball decorations, clothing and or food drives or simply recover the missing items quickly before mana world is destroyed, etc.
Kage
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Kage »

With TMWServ it will take half the time to code a quest, I plan on having a new quest weekly with TMWServ
<Kage_Jittai> ... are you saying I am elite :D
<thorbjorn> Yes. :P
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Kage wrote:With TMWServ it will take half the time to code a quest, I plan on having a new quest weekly with TMWServ
That doesn't fit so well with the planned release scheme: http://forums.themanaworld.org/viewtopi ... =24&t=8363.

Though what is described in this thread would be doable.
Galadriel
Novice
Novice

Post by Galadriel »

SpamMaster wrote:Okay, I suppose a daily quest would give players something to do
Ah! there's the meat of the post.

Note: no one is obligated to perform these "daily quests". I understand that you'd like well-thought out quests, etc. *shrugs* sure. I agree with that. All standard in-game quests
SpamMaster wrote:should be hand-tailored, created, thought out, all sorts of cool stuff like that
But the daily/weekly quests suggested here are more "disposable". After a day/week... they're GONE.

I don't know of any TMW developers who will work hours on creating NPCs, complex quests, etc., only to have those quests vanish in a day/week.
Last edited by Galadriel on 26 Jan 2010, 04:10, edited 2 times in total.
"Spoken like a tru lover of the beast" --zyperz, one time member of Corum's party. A little projection there, zyperz?

Verbose Ubuntu compiling instructions for the 4144 game patch
Galadriel
Novice
Novice

Post by Galadriel »

SpamMaster wrote:I would.
Cool.

give us some ideas for these quests you're willing to help produce.

:)
"Spoken like a tru lover of the beast" --zyperz, one time member of Corum's party. A little projection there, zyperz?

Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

SpamMaster wrote:SPAM THE DEVELOPMENT BOARDS!

SPAM THE DEVELOPMENT BOARDS!

Okay, I suppose a daily quest would give players something to do, but personally, I find any quest without a good plot and some interesting characters and twists and stuff

1) Boring
2) Boringer
3) Boringerer
4) Boringererest
5) Boringererester.

I think all quests should be hand-tailored, created, thought out, all sorts of cool stuff like that. It doesn't matter if there's even only one a month; they could be made so hard they take you until the next one to figure it all out!
And I'd say you could pump out one a week anyway.
Stop being a Duck douche bag. Feel free to help pump out those quests at the rate of one a week.

Here's some sample script from the inspector to get you started:

http://etherpad.com/UGVn820st5
Galadriel
Novice
Novice

Post by Galadriel »

Ceros wrote:Feel free to help pump out those quests at the rate of one a week.

Here's some sample script from the inspector to get you started:

http://etherpad.com/UGVn820st5
Note: the above cited quest requires including the Noh Mask.

It's a challenge to get any hat/mask in this game (with a week's notice? lol. I wish you all success). Go through any art thread in these forums. The constant niggling over proposed art gets depressing. Adding a new attainable item per week? :lol: Again: i wish you all success.

And until you can produce a weekly, high-quality quest (complete with a fascinating story line, plot twists & turns, and new equipment/clothing/rares/etc.), perhaps the simpler daily/weekly simpler quests (proposed at the beginning of this thread) would do just fine?

Galadriel
Novice
Novice

Post by Galadriel »

SpamMaster wrote: The King's New Clothes:

The King of Argaes's clothes are all worn out!
The Tailors of Argaes must work hard to make new clothes for the King!
You can help the Tailors make the clothes!

Bring Agostine the right ingredients for the clothes Agostine will make for the King!
Bring Tailora the right ingredients for the clothes Tailora will make for the King!

Agostine doesn't know what to make the King's clothes out of! Bring him different materials to try!
Tailora doesn't know what colour to make the King's clothes! Bring her different colours to try!

The Highwaymen:

A great stagecoach, carrying the entire new wardrobe for the King of Argaes, was savagely attacked by a gang of mean highwaymen. After proving yourself in the Case of the Missing Mask, the Hurnscald Constabulary has asked YOU to track them down and get back the rich clothes for the king!'
First of all, ask around. Some locals may have seen something.
Remember to report back to the inspector.
Don't forget that there may be a NEW map: Highwaymen's Hideout!
And there could be a good reward at the end.

The Great Pudding Muddle:

The King of Argaes is holding a great party to celebrate the arrival of his new clothes. Unfortunately for the Royal Cook, he's ordered a cake large enough to feed all Argaes! You'll have to help this despairing chef to gather the ingredients for the largest desert ever conceived! But you may get a slice once it's done.
Details, details! More details! Conversations with NPCs!! Flesh these out!! I want them on my desk Monday morning!

Ceros
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Ceros »

SpamMaster wrote:Fine. Fine. I will. Fine. Fine. Sure. Fine. Fine. Yeah. Fine. Fine. That's what I'll do. Fine. Fine. So there. Fine. Fine.

Er...

The King's New Clothes:

The King of Argaes's clothes are all worn out!
The Tailors of Argaes must work hard to make new clothes for the King!
You can help the Tailors make the clothes!

Bring Agostine the right ingredients for the clothes Agostine will make for the King!
Bring Tailora the right ingredients for the clothes Tailora will make for the King!

Agostine doesn't know what to make the King's clothes out of! Bring him different materials to try!
Tailora doesn't know what colour to make the King's clothes! Bring her different colours to try!

The Highwaymen:

A great stagecoach, carrying the entire new wardrobe for the King of Argaes, was savagely attacked by a gang of mean highwaymen. After proving yourself in the Case of the Missing Mask, the Hurnscald Constabulary has asked YOU to track them down and get back the rich clothes for the king!'
First of all, ask around. Some locals may have seen something.
Remember to report back to the inspector.
Don't forget that there may be a NEW map: Highwaymen's Hideout!
And there could be a good reward at the end.

The Great Pudding Muddle:

The King of Argaes is holding a great party to celebrate the arrival of his new clothes. Unfortunately for the Royal Cook, he's ordered a cake large enough to feed all Argaes! You'll have to help this despairing chef to gather the ingredients for the largest desert ever conceived! But you may get a slice once it's done.
OK, link me to the scripting, the game graphics [king's clothes, etc ] and sprites, play test through it by the end of the week.

ideas =/= playable quests
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The players will love this new content creation movement if you can keep your work pace up.
This message used to be meaningful.