[WIP] yeti

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

hkurn
Peon
Peon

[WIP] yeti

Post by hkurn »

Hello all,

I've started working on a yeti. I have one facing left and one facing towards the camera. In my opinion the one facing left is almost finished. The one facing towards the camera has no hands yet, and the shading in the stomach could be better.

Does anyone have a suggestion how to try out animations in the GIMP? Or some other simple program? (I'm using Debian here).

Comments welcome.
yeti-mockup.png
yeti-mockup.png (137.42 KiB) Viewed 5940 times
baseballboy
Knight
Knight

Re: [WIP] yeti

Post by baseballboy »

wow! that is awesome! i could be like a boss kinda like the jacko except for snow town!
BaseBaIIBoy - 99, Zalika - 95, Mou. - 86, baseballboy - 83, Abacus - 82, Laticia - 76

<o11c> More boobs please.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The fur looks good, but the body posture looks awkward. The front view looks like someone is scolding it for bad behavior right now. Try a more dominant, aggressive posture. Legs apart, elbows spread outside, upper body slightly ducked.

• former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
chaslinux
Novice
Novice

Post by chaslinux »

Crush wrote:The fur looks good, but the body posture looks awkward. Try a more dominant, aggressive posture. Legs apart, elbows spread outside, upper body slightly ducked.
I agree, it's awesome, but needs to be less shoulder heavy... looks like a bad Frankenstein monster at the top, like a 30's horror flick, but the fur looks awesome and the face/skin great.
Spit23
Novice
Novice

Post by Spit23 »

hkurn wrote:Does anyone have a suggestion how to try out animations in the GIMP?
If you save you're image as .gif there's an option to save it as animation. Every layer stands for a frame.
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

That yeti looks very familiar....

What did you build your design from? Is the yeti is based on a sprite from another game?
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Post by hkurn »

Thanks for the comments! I'll definitely change the posture for the front view.
John P wrote:What did you build your design from?
I looked at these pictures before, to know what a real yeti looks like:

http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/m ... n_yeti.jpg
http://static.flickr.com/1250/1352372890_48013cd6b8.jpg
http://www.cryptomundo.com/wp-content/disney_yeti.jpg
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Yeti_ ... emeria.jpg

and I took the flurry as reference for how to paint fur.
other than that, it's all based on my brain I guess.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Hi,

Another yeti link: http://ilovetheyeti.blogspot.com/2008/0 ... -yeti.html

Note that this one includes a hint as to how produce a good sound effect for it. :-P

-- fate
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Post by hkurn »

This is my new posture for the front view. Will there be a problem due to the arms overlapping the player standing next to the yeti?
yeti-mockup-frontposture.png
yeti-mockup-frontposture.png (20.19 KiB) Viewed 5718 times
btw.. is it possible to use the first front posture for an 'inactive' yeti? and it only changes to the second posture when it sees a player?

another question: is it possible to animate standing monsters or do the monsters never stand still?
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

You can do idle animations.
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Post by hkurn »

ok... this is the aggressive mode front yeti. hmmm.. I just see that all the contrast/dark shadow in the legs' fur is gone.. I think I'll fix that. other than that, if nobody has sth to say I would say the front posture is finished. What do you think?
The attachment yeti-mockup2.png is no longer available
... with darker shadows:
yeti-mockup2.png
yeti-mockup2.png (151.32 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
Attachments
yeti-mockup2darkershadows.png
yeti-mockup2darkershadows.png (152.04 KiB) Viewed 5617 times
John P
Warrior
Warrior

Post by John P »

love the coloration and the hair, don't so much like either posture. I agree he is too stiff 'Frankenstein' looking. I can't tell if he is supposed to be standing at attention or if his hands are dipping behind him. From the front/aggresive stance it looks like he is sitting in an invisible chair. I mean, it seems as though I can imagine him at any perspective from 45 all the way to laying down. I don't know why and I don't have any helpful suggestions because I am not an artist at all, but this is what I see.

I would like to see this work get some footing though because I really like the face, hair, and bare feet.
hkurn
Peon
Peon

Post by hkurn »

(for front/aggressive stances: changed chest shading and hand outlines)

regarding lying on the floor: is this better/different?
for the legs: are the legs in the background (circled) better?

(what i intend is that the front/aggressive stance should be like the left stance, so bent knees and ellbows)
yeti-mockup3.png
yeti-mockup3.png (153.9 KiB) Viewed 5396 times
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

We view the game world from overhead. A flat standing pose might seem like the sprite is laying on the ground. It needs to look much more aggressive. Maybe this could help...
yeti-temp.png
(The above image attachment will disappear if I ever have to free up my attachment quota.)
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

The pose by bcs86 is really great. Exactly what I had in mind. Hkurn, do you think you could make it like that?
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.