TMW using QT and ...SFML?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

TMW using QT and ...SFML?

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

As the current will seems to get the use of an higher level library (QT to not name it) in order to help us devs to focus more on features than on nasty limitations and workarounds,

I wondered if the fact of using SFML would do the trick for a simple 2D (+OpenAL) framework?

What do you think ?

Regards,
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Re: TMW using QT and ...SFML?

Post by Jaxad0127 »

We'll likely loose Guichan if we do move. Though it says it works with QT.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Sorry, I don't understand your answer...

SFML is some kind of OpenGL wrapper + more extras...

Switching to QT means we're no longer using Guichan, that for sure, but I don't see
why it's related to SFML...
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

I was reading on their site. They support using SFML with some gui technologies, like QT, GTK+, etc.
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

No one will miss Guichan if we can clone Firefox tab behaviour with Qt for the chat tabs.

So far I suspect Jaxad, Kage, Bertram and Mr. TrollTech himself would be rather interested.

Yay for the second eternity project of TMW to be born. (Tiled-Qt is not technically TMW related.)
This message used to be meaningful.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Rotonen,

As far as I can see, porting TMW to use QT is seriously envisaged.

HedgeWars are doing it (for instance) and can mostly used as template.

The only annoying thing is how we're gonna use (or remove) Enet protocol in the client.

That's why I was hesitating in putting strength in the theme manager using guichan.
I shall let Bjorn answer on this one.

QT would indeed bring many features for no cost, just the theming facility is missing, for now.

In TMWserv, Bjorn was even in favor of removing the DAL and make use of QT, but I'm completely against
this thought, cutting much of the DB flexibility of the server and bringing heavy dependence to it.
Bjorn should beware of himself sometimes: He's getting formatted to think QT all the time ;)

Regards.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Bertram wrote:In TMWserv, Bjorn was even in favor of removing the DAL and make use of QT, but I'm completely against
this thought, cutting much of the DB flexibility of the server and bringing heavy dependence to it.
Bjorn should beware of himself sometimes: He's getting formatted to think QT all the time ;)

Regards.
Well, the thing is that due to having limited time, I hate to see duplicated effort. I personally don't see the big difference between our DAL and QtSql, which is really a DAL too anyway, only one with more features and supporting more databases. So why spend effort developing our own DAL further, if we could just take QtSql and be done with it?

About the theming, we do still need that for the next release of the client, which won't be based on Qt yet. I've created issue http://bugs.manasource.org/view.php?id=3 for this. It's currently assigned to me since I planned to work on it.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

That's an old mess-bringing attempt for a topic of mine ;)

As far I got to know QT, it could replace Guichan, SFML and the DAL.

But if you want a themeable client, you'll have to do it against guichan, I guess :)

Regards.
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Bertram wrote:As far I got to know QT, it could replace Guichan, SFML and the DAL.
And libxml, all of sdl, maybe physfs, zlib, libcurl, and pThread.
Bertram wrote:But if you want a themeable client, you'll have to do it against guichan, I guess :)
QT is easily themeable.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

jaxad0127 wrote:QT is easily themeable.
Well, it's not that easy, and only possible for QWidget based applications, and widgets don't serve the needs of games very well. We'll be using a QGraphicsView, and so far graphics widgets don't have theming capabilities. Still, it's not really harder to implement custom graphics widgets than it is to theme a Guichan widget.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Humm,

It still means you'll have to theme guichan widgets, am I right?

Regards.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Bertram wrote:Humm,

It still means you'll have to theme guichan widgets, am I right?

Regards.
No, when we're using Qt we're not using Guichan.
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Bjorn,

I think I may poorly missing the point:

When I meant we'd still have to make the guichan gui themable, I refered to this:
Bjorn wrote:About the theming, we do still need that for the next release of the client, which won't be based on Qt yet. I've created issue http://bugs.manasource.org/view.php?id=3 for this. It's currently assigned to me since I planned to work on it.
:arrow: Now, of course, when the switch to QT will be done, there will no longer be a need for guichan.

Plus, I saw you assigned the above issue to me : :D

Well, not being lazy, (or just a little, like every dev ;) ), but still having to kill the movement problem with a nice last fixing commit, then seeing how to remove the #ifdef in logic code and make it more generic, and then only start a particle editor, I may not be able to work on this until some time.

Now, what should we do?
Several possibilities:
The good:
- Take back the theme manager issue to someone free to take it, hoping that my try for templates will be helping.
The bad:
- Turns back to the previous theme, and post-pone the themeability until the next release, or until the QT client is ready.
And the Ugly:
- Enforce the new theme, promising (or not) that a theme manager will be out in a maybe-to-come next release.
Or any other walk-ons I haven't been thinking about.

Regards.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Bertram, I assigned it to you because I thought you said you wanted to work on it. If you don't have time, then I'll just take it back. :-)
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

Thanks, and regards. :wink: