Would it be good to see the target HP while fighting it?

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Would it be good to see the target HP while fighting it?

Poll ended at 02 Oct 2009, 07:10

Yes, an HP bar and current HP value.
15%
Yes, an HP bar only.
37%
Yes, but just the HP value.
4%
No, what would be the use of this silly feature?
33%
What is a MMORPG?
12%

Total votes: 52
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: Would it be good to see the target HP while fighting it?

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

It's a really good point Habari.

Regards,
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

No. More predictable = more boring.
Monster: "Hey, everyone! My health is almost gone! You wouldn't hit me, would you!?"

EDIT: Although a beat up "injured" version of the monster's sprites might be something to think about later.
feline monstrosity
Warrior
Warrior

Post by feline monstrosity »

Habari does make a good point. For the vast majority of battles not knowing an opponent's health makes little difference, but when playing Golden Sun I found it incredibly frustrating on a difficult boss battle each time I attempted it I had no idea if I had done better or worse than last time, or if I was even anywhere near close to killing it and if I should level up a little more before attempting it again.
~Feline Monstrosity
Matt
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Matt »

ElvenProgrammer wrote:
Matt wrote:
Crush wrote:Not knowing the health of the enemy makes combat more exciting in my opinion.
Thats what Elven said in 2004 when I proposed this feature to him.
And I still agree with me ;)
Case closed. :)

@Habari: So? If you die you know you shouldn't have fought. You die, train, and try again. (Note: That works only while playiing tmw)

If you really need some indicator about the current battle situation just use some dutchified (broken) version of a hp bar like in Return to Krondor:

green circle: dragon thinks he is the mightiest thingy around
yellow circle: dragon thinks "uhuh, if i dont pull myself together it will be dangerous"
red circle: "ofmg, mum, help me, the hero will kill me!!!! :("

edit: btw, ever played Secret of Mana? There wasn't any indicator!!! But if you really wanted to know how healthy a monster still was you had some analyse spell that told you.
Avital
Peon
Peon

Post by Avital »

I voted yes. I play warrior style, so I like knowing if I'm going to have to run or if the enemy's health is getting low. It affects my strategy, when to heal, when to let it run to me, etc. I don't need to see numbers but a general bar would be nice. I've played a handful of other MMO's out there and all of them have had some version of an enemy health bar.
-Just Me
bige
Peon
Peon

Post by bige »

personally i think that it should be an option in setup that way can chose to see it or not for themselves
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

If there is a healer in a party it would be helpful for him to see everyone (in his party) health so he knows who needs to be healed with out them having to ask for it.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
mmmmnatheclumsyone
Peon
Peon

Post by mmmmnatheclumsyone »

Not sure if this makes sense. I'm really noob....

HP for monsters? Sure. After a few monsters of the same kind, the HP information becomes pretty much useless (You'll say "I know scorpions of HP 200 or better will wipe me out, and therefore, I won't bother scorpions"). BTW: I stack monsters during attacks, so any HP display needs to address that somehow. Maybe only show HP of the monster you are actively attacking, if there is a stack. :idea:

HP for Player versus Player? nope. Live and learn, I say. Oh. But then again, someone will get all Terminator on us wee folks, and them being a level 35871, they will brutally crush our level 42 ego. :oops: Well, I guess I just don't know. Hmm. Some players like to wander in their undies and then suit up at the moment of battle.... That is a little deceptive, but showing HP would pretty much void that trick. :lol:

Lots of surprises in TMW. Is it just me?
If not just me, then I say no added HP display for anything, I actually like saying "Aw Dang. Respawn at the Soul Menhir". Poof.

Never mind my earlier suggestions for HP display: just give the team/party circumstances any competitive HP information. Nothing for rogues like me. :wink:
Kill3rZ
Novice
Novice

Post by Kill3rZ »

I think I should see the HP of the monster I'm targeting, not of every monster on the map.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

or the health bar of any monster taking damage.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

That would make playing easier… I was thinking, it's a pitty, that there is no enemy HP bar. But after consideration I have to say no.
1) In RL nobody has HP bar on one's forehead.
2) No risk, no fun. ;)
3) Death is not the end of the game, so why bother it?
★ Variety Jeer, my weblog ★ Jurgi recommends Opera 10 ★
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

Black Don wrote:If there is a healer in a party it would be helpful for him to see everyone (in his party) health so he knows who needs to be healed with out them having to ask for it.
Every party member can see the health of every other party member in range. It's displayed in the party window. Adding it above the party members too is doable.
Avital
Peon
Peon

Post by Avital »

Uber_Kalimero wrote:Can you imagine the " Snakes PIT" filled with health and status bars ... I mean, seriously .... ?
Well couldn't it be worked out the same way as the monster name? You only see the monster type when you click on them. Why can't there be a small bar or small number or percentage under that that only shows when selected?
-Just Me
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Yes, definitely, it's the best way.

Show only the hp or a state idea of how the monster is on the selected target only.

We could add a thin translucent circle under the target circle showing the monster state
using different colors, for instance.

What do you all think,

Regards,
bcs86
Warrior
Warrior

Post by bcs86 »

Numbers fly all over when a monster is attacked. Now players want a health gauge. This isn't "action calculator world".
I'd like to work towards making monster health evident through its sprites because it would be more elaborate than a gauge.