Greenery Tileset

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

nym
Novice
Novice

Greenery Tileset

Post by nym »

Some people dont really like the desert setting and are working on a forest/greenery tileset.. And i made a little something to go along with it (the shadows aren't part of the tiles.. they are just their for visual stimulation :))

A giant mushroom, with little mushrooms.

Sull did the cool looking grass.
YOU ARE READING THIS!
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

interesting, mushroms looks nice, but IMO ground tile is to tiled. Maybe we need some aditionals tiles. Anyway, its good to know, that someone working on that case.

good luck ^^
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

These are the early grass tiles.. new ones are alot better :). this is proof of concept, and will hopefully inspire the artists to work on some great tiles :)
YOU ARE READING THIS!
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

I think the big one could use more and smaller dots. Also It looks kinda flat to me, I'd like to see moor shading. And one-pixel line around it is enough I think.
Looks nice anyway.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
HaLLanHype
Novice
Novice

Post by HaLLanHype »

yea the desert gets boring so a green land would be nice

sure there are gonna be a lot of desert and then one that blends into grass... and would be farther off but you can make a green one and have it connected just for now and later fix it
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

well, this is my first piece of pixel art for years.. hehe. Im not great at manipulating pixels to make then look decent.. unless its something with next to no pixels... :)

I will stick with programming :). But please, more scenery for grassy/forest tileset would be nice *looks at artists*. :)
YOU ARE READING THIS!
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

After my testweek I'll get busy.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I really like the concept of both grass and mushrooms, and it really gives them a mana feel if you understand me :wink:
Probably they could use some improvements but they're nice :D
m4ndr4g00n
Peon
Peon

Post by m4ndr4g00n »

The grass was great. Very Secret of Mana style ^^

The mushrooms didn't quite fit in, they were good but they "cut out" from the grass (sorry, don't really know the word for it), it is a contrast between them somehow...maybe try and make the mushrooms a little darker? Very little that is.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Don't nitpick too much over details. As Earthbound proved (if you haven't played it, at least take a look because it's vital that you understand this), quantity is every bit as good as quality. Make huge amounts of tiles. Every different object you can think of, make it into a tile. After that start working on making them all look prettier.
nym
Novice
Novice

Post by nym »

Even if you have lots of quantity, if the art sucks, no one will like it. You need to have balance (and quality has a higher weighting/worth than quantity anyway).
YOU ARE READING THIS!
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

I played earthbound :P

Their graphics, even if they had alot, they were al made with quality in mind, they have people make them because they get paid to ... On the other hand, we only have like... 5 people working on gfx, on their free time, so i also say Quality over Quantity.
Ultim
Novice
Novice

Post by Ultim »

Bear-
http://www16.brinkster.com/theepoch/ear ... pshot.html
Quality-who? This snapshot shows the average quality of graphics you find in Earthbound. There are some better and some worse. But the point is that one person could crank out ten tiles and one sprite a day by these standards. And Earthbound seemed beautiful because of all the different tiles, even though not every one was actually good.

Nym-
It really is a paradox. If you give people enough pretties to look at, it's the same as giving them high-quality pretties. The graphics in that snapshot look like a five-year-old did them. It didn't hurt the visual part of the game one bit though because there were tiles for everything you could think of (even the kitchen sink!)

Not that i'm telling you guys what to do, but i'm telling you guys what you very viably could do. It seems the best option for a team structured as yours is.
Bear
Warrior
Warrior

re

Post by Bear »

im a really big fan of Earthbound and i must say, that i cant agree with your point of view. What earthbound was made as... a RETRO game, hippie if you will. The reason for the tiles is because the whole world they made is based on the same quality, only the sprites are different.

Also they used it in a way to add a Comic relief anywhere you went.