New New TMW Mac Binary

Ask for help regarding any technical issue or report any bug or OS independent issues.
gene
Peon
Peon

New New TMW Mac Binary

Post by gene »

I got my eMac. I'll be starting tonight.
Catfish_Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Catfish_Man »

Good luck! I'm around on IRC periodically, and still sorta remember how I solved some stuff (and I've got the nice Cocoa wrapper left over if you get the binary working), so feel free to ask.
Catfish_Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Catfish_Man »

Link to the Cocoa wrapper app's source: http://home.comcast.net/~Catfish_Man/ManaWorld.zip

Pretty minimalist (just uses NSTask to launch the tmw executable in the app bundle), but it's a bit more "mac-like" than the raw executable.
Tenche
Warrior
Warrior

Post by Tenche »

good work guys!!!
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

I guess 0.0.14 release won't see his MAC sister togheter with windows and linux. I placed a milestone for 0.0.15 to have a working mac release. Please feel free to ask all the help you need, we're not on mac but we're still programmers and we may have useful suggestions.
I'd like also to have frequent updates on the status regarding which dependencies are already compiled, which ones not yet and what's the problem.
Thank you to everyone who's contributing to port tmw on mac.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Friend of mine got a Mac too. Can't make any promises, but I'll try making a Mac package as well.
Laurens
Peon
Peon

Post by Laurens »

Bjørn wrote:Friend of mine got a Mac too. Can't make any promises, but I'll try making a Mac package as well.
That would be me :-) Anywayz, tonight Bjørn and I are going to try to build a Mac package.
The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power. The difference between the two is the Sith are not afraid of the dark side of the Force. That is why they are more powerful.

photos @ flickr
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Yup, cool, I'm crying because of joy :cry:
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Pfew, a lot of configure commands, silent hacks and frustrations later, we got a working OpenGL binary for MacOS X Tiger. At least, it works on this particular iMac G5.

The big question now is. does it run on any other Mac? Also, will it run on Panther, and will it run on something else than a G5? Please test the following zip file, which contains the binary, a config file without sound (that was still craching), and the data. The binary should be run from the directory it is in, so that it is able to find the data directory.

I'll try to document how we got it to compile on the Wiki later.

http://themanaworld.org/files/tmw-0.0.14.1-tiger.zip
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

OK, Catfish_Man tried it but it wasn't working, it seems we're still failing to link Guichan statically. For details see the wiki page. We'll be trying to solve this problem later.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

OK, we got rid of the dylib Guichan files and it seems that it has been linked statically now. So please, if one or more Mac users could test the file again that would be great.

For now you'll just have to unzip the archive and run it from a terminal from its own directory, so that the executable is able to find the data.

http://themanaworld.org/files/tmw-0.0.14.1-tiger.zip
Laurens
Peon
Peon

Post by Laurens »

It seems to work on a iBook G4. A friend's Mac runs tmw perfectly. It seems we are able to do something afterall :-)
The Sith and the Jedi are similar in almost every way, including their quest for greater power. The difference between the two is the Sith are not afraid of the dark side of the Force. That is why they are more powerful.

photos @ flickr
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Ok we were waiting the MAC release since 6 months at least, and you 2 made it in a couple of days.
Well a very big applause people. :D
Catfish_Man
Novice
Novice

Post by Catfish_Man »

You can find a nice mac-like version of that binary at http://devserver.org/david/tmw-0.0.14.1-mac.dmg

I'll be posting on the wiki with instructions and source for packaging the raw binary/data files up, adding an icon, making the get info box work right, etc... (most of which I haven't done for this one yet).

<edit>
Oh yes, I'd like to thank Bjørn and co. as well. Very nice work :)
</edit>
Laurens
Peon
Peon

Post by Laurens »

Nice, it works perfectly. There's only one thing: it spans two icons in the Dock.

photos @ flickr