Nivalis!

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Nivalis!

Post by TomMan71 »

I think that Nivalis is a great town, but it doesn't have as many shops and other places as Tulimshar and Hurnscald. For example: There is no bank or storage place. So, if anyone doesn't mind, I would like to propose to improve the area by adding a new map to Nivalis with more shops, or possibly adding more shops to main centre, perhaps making it bigger! If I get a reply saying that I can, I will do this and if possible get it put in the main branch, so I am asking that any developer replies and sais yes or no.
How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only coded it.
-- Attributed to Linus Torvalds, somewhere in a posting
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Re: Nivalis!

Post by Crush »

The whole ice area could need a big expansion. The jeti monster which is currently in the making is a good start, but we also need some new tiles (snow covered trees, for example) and the existing tiles could need a general quality overhaul.

But before we do any mapping we should to do some conceptualization work first.

I already did some brainstorming regarding the ice area a while ago here:
http://wiki.themanaworld.org/index.php/ ... ush/Kaizai
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Post by TomMan71 »

Will we be keeping all the graphics and maps when we change to TMWServ, as I have a cool town idea that I think people would like, but is it better that I wait till TMWServ?
How should I know if it works? That's what beta testers are for. I only coded it.
TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Post by TomMan71 »

That's very good information you made. I would be happy to help with improvement of Nivalis! Also, I know lots of C++ and SDL, is it possible I could become a TMW developer as I have wondered about it, but never got round to asking.
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

Sure, everyone is welcome to contribute to the development. We are open source and we believe in the bazaar development philosophy.

A lot of useful pointers for new developers can be found on the wiki page [Joining the Project]
  • NOT a game master

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Post by TomMan71 »

Ok, thanks!

So, will be keeping the same maps for the new server?
Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Crush »

At least those which are good.
  • NOT a game master

TomMan71
Novice
Novice

Post by TomMan71 »

Ok!
The Scarlet Rhus
Novice
Novice

Post by The Scarlet Rhus »

If Nivalis is as close to the centre of the game world then as it is now, I wouldn't have a bank. In the branch I was designing (and still hope to make) needed items would be available only in different places widespread in the game world. Travelling is good. For example, if it was me, I would remove the money-banker from Tulimshar and the item-banker from Hurnscald. This wouldn't make much difference to newbie players (unaware of the entire forest) who don't need either.

~I'm all for an expansion of Nivalis, and will help if it's needed *smile*
The Scarlet Rhus
/quit tmw
jcdvsrbld
Peon
Peon

Post by jcdvsrbld »

The Scarlet Rhus wrote:If Nivalis is as close to the centre of the game world then as it is now, I wouldn't have a bank. In the branch I was designing (and still hope to make) needed items would be available only in different places widespread in the game world. Travelling is good. For example, if it was me, I would remove the money-banker from Tulimshar and the item-banker from Hurnscald. This wouldn't make much difference to newbie players (unaware of the entire forest) who don't need either.

~I'm all for an expansion of Nivalis, and will help if it's needed *smile*
The Scarlet Rhus
i agree, except, it would make more sense to remove the item banker from Tulimshar, as there is an entire building that would lose purpose if the money bankers were removed.
"quis custodiet ipsos custodes"