[GIT] NPC graphics

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

fate
Warrior
Warrior

[GIT] NPC graphics

Post by fate »

Hi everyone,

I'd like to request two new NPC graphics: a gambler, and an old knight.

Here's another NPC:

This is more urgent than the magic level 3 graphics requests.

And here's another NPC for public ridicule (all the good parts were stolen from Don's equipment graphics):
k.png
k.png (2.2 KiB) Viewed 3644 times
-- fate
Last edited by fate on 27 Sep 2009, 04:53, edited 1 time in total.
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Re: [REQ] NPC graphics

Post by fate »

SpamMaster,

The gambler and his last shirt! Great design! :-D

Can you give him some uncombed hair, too? And perhaps replace the greenbacks by a gold coin. ;-)

Otherwise this is a great start!

-- fate
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

SpamMaster,

the hair needs more work to look less like a toupee, though the amount of unruliness is good.
I also noticed that the shirt, despite its great shape and texture, looks a bit flat and needs more shading.
The thing about the paper money is that he doesn't hold it in a very natural way. You may have to change the hand a little to have him hold it. (Your idea of a bag of coins might be easier, but I haven't tried it.)

Thanks! :-)

-- fate
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

The first hair version was better, imho. I like the general idea. :)
★ Variety Jeer, my weblog ★ Jurgi recommends Opera 10 ★
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

The first version of gambler's haircut is good. It may seems strange, but there were such a haircut with highly shaved hair, it was common in Polish–Lithuanian Commonwealth (former Poland in XVII century):

I like this, and if not for this character, I would keep it for another in the future. :)

I think, you just need only to lenghten the hair, leaving this messy haircut. I have played for a while with it, I suggest something like that (sorry for quality, it's really quick and dirty and I'm not an artist):
Attachments
Messy haircut with a bit more and longer hair.
Messy haircut with a bit more and longer hair.
TMW-gambler-qad-more-hair.png (1.14 KiB) Viewed 3578 times
snoopy
Novice
Novice

Post by snoopy »

i have good idea for npc

:p
Attachments
928462-Angels-&-Demons[1].jpg
928462-Angels-&-Demons[1].jpg (137.6 KiB) Viewed 3501 times
evil-santa[1].jpg
evil-santa[1].jpg (48.83 KiB) Viewed 3500 times
(°_°)
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

Hm, Evil Santa, thay may be nice idea for silly and strange quest… ;)
SpamMaster wrote: EDIT 2:
old knight 2.png
I think, that the helmet should be more round. Now it looks more like a hat, not like a helmet.
Or maybe old knight should be without any helmet? If he is old and does fight no more? It may depent on what is his role in planned quest.
i
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by i »

snoopy wrote:i have good idea for npc

:p
You are IDIOT. Go crap-posting somewhere else.
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

Maybe he is, but even idiot may say something wise… sometimes. ;) All NPCs are always friendly, helpfull, etc. An evil NPC would be new and refreshing… NPC that sends player into troubles. Worthy considering!
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

SpamMaster,

The hair and shirt shading are fine now. :-)
The shirt outline was a bit better in the first version, though; it looked a little more ragged around the upper torso area (just adding one or two more pixels there might do the trick. :-)

I'm still not entirely happy with the greenback design. If you were to rotate the bill by 90 degrees, it would look a bit more natural, I think.

As for the knight: we've decided that that one is not as urgent as the gambler, so it will probably not be up quite as soon. But graphical-design wise, the armour doesn't look very metallic right now. Also, it might be nice to vary the pose a little bit-- picking the standard pose with the gambler helps in making him look more pathetic, but an old knight might look either more dignified or more worn out from years of fighting and rescuing damsels in distress and participating in round-table discussions on the merits of adopting the new Hurnscaldian standards process and whatever else it is that Knights do, depending on what look you want to go for.

Thank you! :-)

-- fate
skipy
Knight
Knight

Post by skipy »

Jurgi wrote:Maybe he is, but even idiot may say something wise… sometimes. ;) All NPCs are always friendly, helpfull, etc. An evil NPC would be new and refreshing… NPC that sends player into troubles. Worthy considering!
like a bandit npc...
back to working on---> (crypt)then(player 1.5) and more. *been on hold do to my laptop being fix* any feel free to add/help. ill be up and working as soon as i can ...good luck to all.

"A mulatto, an albino
A mosquito, my libido
Yeah, hey, yay"---Nirvana
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

What do you mean with "into torubles"?
NPCs give information and quests..how can a NPC bring you into trouble?

E.g. the quest, that is almost impossible to finish or not worthy efforts?
Or better: evil NPC puts a course on you, and you have to do hard quest to release it (but first find someone, who can tell you, what to do). Of course, on the end it should be a prize, e.g. good amount of exp. Examole curses: you are weakened and have only half of strenght (for meele warriors), half of dexterity (for archers), half of MP (for mages) or half of HP (suitable for everyone), or badluck curse: half of luck. Or another badluck: lower drop rates. Or magic illness, that makes you dumb, so you cannot talk or deaf (cannot hear) until the finished quest. Or skin illness, so you cannot wear anything.
I believe there are more concepts to figure out. :)
Jurgi
Novice
Novice

Post by Jurgi »

Right. If I may suggest: if admins and developers find this discussion interesting, please split the topic into new one. If not, we'll finish it. 8)
Gouki wrote: There are no classes in TMW. If you are an archer, you got extreme DEX and a range weapon. But there isnt written "archer" anywhere..
Yes, I know, but it's simple to resolve. I one particular stat is visibly higher than average on this level, we may assume the type of preferred kind of gameplay. If we can't assume, we affect the HP. These are just simple examples.

Or, YOU - yes, YOU! - could make another thread! Wowza!

Yes, but new topic 1) will lack beginnig of discussion, 2) will not clear this one from unrelated posts, so splitting is better idea. :idea:
Last edited by Jurgi on 22 Sep 2009, 12:51, edited 1 time in total.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I'll take a crack at the old knight NPC. I have some conceptual ideas about crusader armor I wanted to flesh out any ways. I also have some cool poses in mind for an old tired knight.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

here is what I kinda had in mind.
Fate if you have any back story that might help inspire me would be nice.
I could add some tweeks to it and I still have to shade and light the armor and clothes.
Attachments
old_knight_npc_bd_preview1.png
old_knight_npc_bd_preview1.png (2.38 KiB) Viewed 3349 times
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad