[GIT] NPC graphics

All development of pixel art, maps and other graphics.

Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Re: [REQ] NPC graphics

Post by Bertram »

Hey, I remember Grandia.

This NPC sure look a awesome start.

I'll let the other artists have useful comments about it.

Regards,
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

here is one with fully finished detail. I'm not sure of the wealth of the knight so I kept the detailing on the lance and armor to a minimum.
Attachments
old_knight_npc_bd.png
old_knight_npc_bd.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 2391 times
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

didn't like the lighting on the leg on the left so I tweeked it
Attachments
old_knight_npc_bd.png
old_knight_npc_bd.png (3.12 KiB) Viewed 2387 times
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

adjusted shading on lance and softened some of the harder lines
Attachments
old_knight_npc_bd.png
old_knight_npc_bd.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 2374 times
fate
Warrior
Warrior

Post by fate »

Don,

great design! :-D
The lance doesn't look properly metaly, though. Perhaps you can shift the reflection a little and make it reflect some sky-blue? (Or whatever colour the Mana World sky is...)

-- fate
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi Fate,

What do you think about this NPC:
fate_NPC.png
fate_NPC.png (2.11 KiB) Viewed 2352 times
:mrgreen:

Sorry, I couldn't resist ;)

Regards,
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

readjusted light reflection and added some light blue to the lance.
Attachments
old_knight_npc_bd.png
old_knight_npc_bd.png (4.08 KiB) Viewed 2330 times
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

still playing with the light flare on the lance.
Attachments
old_knight_npc_bd.png
old_knight_npc_bd.png (4.04 KiB) Viewed 2293 times
Bertram
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bertram »

Hi,

I like the latest one very much.

Best regards,
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

I think I finely got it looking the way I wanted it too.
Attachments
old_knight_npc_bd.png
old_knight_npc_bd.png (4.13 KiB) Viewed 2247 times
Jaxad0127
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Jaxad0127 »

SpamMaster wrote:Wow, big lance. IMO his limbs are too small, but apart from that it's nice. I'd also make his skin a bit more grey, less young and colourful.
The limbs don't look too small. Notice the whole body looks smaller than a player.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

body and limbs were ripped from player sprite so everyone is wrong. body is at an angle (ripped from removing arrow from quiver animation). So to say something is to small then the there are parts of the current sprite animation that is too small and you don't know what your talking about. Being a knight he is still physically active and in decent shape.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

SpamMaster wrote:Armour is big stuff, Don. His arms are the same length and width as normal player arms, ergo inside they must be smaller. I may not be a Super-Dooper Expert Pixel-Master, but I can tell you they look too small to me, a player.
In pixeling armor for the player sprites (which I have done) the armor only extended 1 pixel from the body so as to not create any over lap and animation errors. I and since I have all ready stated you don't know what you are looking at because this is based off the player sprite, what you think looks proper means nothing to me. You have a better use of your time fixing your own sprites then nit-picking someone else's work.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

SpamMaster wrote:With player sprites maybe; this won't be animated. Sorry if I seemed rude, I was only offering my advice as how it looks to a player. I'll shut up in future, you know more about pixelling than me, congratz gr8 work wel dun
I recolored the armor to make my point... and teach you a little something about pixel art.
old_knight_npc_bd2.png
old_knight_npc_bd2.png (4.34 KiB) Viewed 2323 times
As you can see here the arms extend up more then what you think they do because

A. the over sized mustache extends the head lower
B. I lowered the head a few pixels to give him a more slouched siting potion.

But like I have stated before someone who has yet to create an NPC not based purely off the slandered standing sprite to understand or realize what I have done or the affect I was going for.

Again you time is better spent working on your own stuff then trying to criticize something that is still out of your depth.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

SpamMaster wrote:Thanks for taking the time to point this out to me, but you seem to think I'm trying to tell you how to pixel. You're proving your point by saying I don't know **** about pixel art, and therefore can't see this picture as it is meant to be. Do you expect every player to be a pixel artist?

This will be my last post in this thread unless I have something (which isn't spam) to say. Thank you.

BTW: if you really want to know, his moustache is in front of his should (wtf) and the shading on the cloth of his pants looks wrong, as well as the blade of the (wtf) lance looking as though it bends away from you. Again, if you have to be a pixel artist to look at it the right way, it's not suitable for game content.
then why has none of the more experienced pixel artists have spoke up and complained about these things only you seem to see and point out? I have seen people who have yet to get content to a level at which it is added to the git nit-pic and complain about others art, and good pixel artists who could of developed into something quit over it. So until you are willing to work on and fix things in your own art people have pointed out. I will not take anything you say seriously, because you are not taking the content development under your own care seriously.