Map Editor For Win32?

Got something on your mind about the project? This is the correct place for that.

Forum rules

This forum is for feature requests, content changes additions, anything not a Bug in the software.
Please report all bugs on the Support Forums

Raven
Peon
Peon

Map Editor For Win32?

Post by Raven »

Yeh just a quick request could you build /compile a map editor for win32? i realise that the programming is mainly linux based but i was just wondering so that windos users can get editing as quick as possible :D

Thanks
ElvenProgrammer
Founder
Founder

Post by ElvenProgrammer »

The map editor we're using http://tiled.rpgdx.net is coded in Java, so it will run on every system having a Java virtual machine.

And I wouldn't say the programming is mainly linux based since I'm a windows developer (yeah and sometimes proud of it :P ) and when not studying I'm one of the most active coders.
Raven
Peon
Peon

Post by Raven »

yeh damn java gr lol could you build a windows installer then? because i hate having to use the map editor you have just now i find it confusing :S just one of my idio-syncrasies :P sorry if im being a bother but i think that the less difficult it is to set something up the quicker and easier it is to use it :D
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

Double clicking a .jar file is too hard and confusing..? :roll:
This message used to be meaningful.
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Raven wrote:yeh damn java gr lol could you build a windows installer then? because i hate having to use the map editor you have just now i find it confusing :S just one of my idio-syncrasies :P sorry if im being a bother but i think that the less difficult it is to set something up the quicker and easier it is to use it :D
Anybody is free to build a map editor that is not in Java, it shouldn't be hard to support the same map format. And anyway this one even runs straight from the website when you have Java 5 installed (using Webstart), so I don't see how it could possibly be easier.

Btw, could you please get rid of that annoying signature picture?

http://java.sun.com/
Raven
Peon
Peon

Post by Raven »

yes i see your points still the easier it is the more likely i am to use it and seeing as i dont know how to use it pretty pointless :) still thought id bring it up.

and why get rid of that sig pic? i thought the whole function of having the ability to place a sig was to have one so whats the point in having one if you cant use it? i saw that bear has one which is not as long as mine but wider so in answer to your request no i'm sorry i cant
Bjørn
Manasource
Manasource

Post by Bjørn »

Raven wrote:and why get rid of that sig pic? i thought the whole function of having the ability to place a sig was to have one so whats the point in having one if you cant use it? i saw that bear has one which is not as long as mine but wider so in answer to your request no i'm sorry i cant
Yes, and I don't like Bear's sig either. You guys are the only two here using the signature feature for such a stupid purpose I think. It doesn't provide any additional info, and I have to look at it every other post. So please get rid of it.
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Bear's signature is also frustratingly big... but above that yours is jetblack (very much in contrast with the rest).

I guess you'd paint your room magic pink if you had the ability?

You probably also have one of the biggest avatars on the forum.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Raven
Peon
Peon

Post by Raven »

well ill remove it if it really bothers you guys but why not disable the signature feature then? part of a forum is to have signature as a "unique identifier" and although yes mine is big it is not nearly as big as some others on different forums. I was merely exercising my right to place a signature on my posts as if it was meant not to be used you should have disabled it when building the site.

I dont mean to cause any grievances on this forum so i will do my best to keep with in the higher authoritys expectances in behaviour :) so i shall remove it if it really aggravates most of the members of the forum and sorry for causing any inconveniences and/or misconceptions

Regards,
Raven
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Well, it's one of the main reasons I don't visit those forums.
I have near to no problems with a small, pretty, preferably embedded signature, or a nice quote... or maybe even both.
I know there are bigger sigs on this planet, and even animated ones, but they make me sick. And I think forums where your status is determened by the size of your single-line message are the worst forums in excistence... and then there are the bored-single-mother-forums... but nevermind those.

What I'm trying to say is, yes your signature does bother me, and yes I would appreciate it if you would be so kind to remove it. And I agree that there should at least be a size-limit for signature images.
If you're looking for 3D FOSS games be sure to check out LucKey Productions on itch.io
Rotonen
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Post by Rotonen »

The entire purpose of a sig is to have "a personal decal". So if that is part of is net identity and he has a personal affection towards it, who are we to judge? (Although it does stand out a lot, due to which he has to withstand critic about it if he's going to keep it. Everything different from the "normal" always rises opposition, remember how jazz was first received?)
This message used to be meaningful.
Raven
Peon
Peon

Post by Raven »

Well I'm sorry you guys feel that way which although i feel you are being completely irrational ill remove it to keep within your standards.

Don't say i aint good to ya :P i believe you guys are being quite um dont know the word but i agree with rotonen and ill remove it anyway sorry for any "inconveniences" e.g slow browser load ups for my huge graphic

Regards,
Raven
Modanung
Grand Knight
Grand Knight

Post by Modanung »

Rotonen wrote:Everything different from the "normal" always rises opposition, remember how jazz was first received?)
I rarely see a beatiful, subtle, well embedded signature... so it isn't normal, yet I wouldn't mind someone having one, maybe I'd even compliment him on his beatuful piece of art. Also usually the difference IS the rising opposition, it's mostly them who start attacking others.
And, well... Jazz is the most frustrating music alive, so I don't blame the 'opposing force' on that one. :P

Anyway, thanks a lot Raven.. you're the best! :D
adr
Peon
Peon

Post by adr »

Actually, I'd like to point out that just because Java is portable doesn't mean it is ported. I still have tons of problems with Java on x86_64. I can't for the life of me get the map editor to run. This is not to mention the fact that any Java VM I can use must be a binary run through x86 emulation.

Why not, as a longer-term solution obviously, release a map editor reusing the GUI and much of the code as tmw uses itself? I realize that this might not be very feasible since you guys (and us players) want to work more on the game than a map editor, but is it any less feasible than relying on someone else to build the map editor you use?
Pajarico
Knight
Knight

Post by Pajarico »

Actually, I'd like to point out that just because Java is portable doesn't mean it is ported. I still have tons of problems with Java on x86_64. I can't for the life of me get the map editor to run. This is not to mention the fact that any Java VM I can use must be a binary run through x86 emulation.
Since you're talking about x86_64 I assume it's 64 bit Linux (and not a 32 bit precompiled distro). I'm running Java just well (amd64 + Gentoo), and tiled starts like a charm with Java Web Start.
-Have you tried javaws?
-What distro?
-Are you sure you have installed the 64 bits Java -and not the 32 bit-?