Nagging hour

Content and general development discussion, including quest scripts and server code. TMW Classic is a project comprising the Legacy tmwAthena server & the designated improved engine server based on evolHercules.

Forum rules

This forum houses many years of development, tracing back to some of the earliest posts that exist on the board.

Its current use is for the continued development of the server and game it has always served: TMW Classic.

Crush
TMW Adviser
TMW Adviser

Nagging hour

Post by Crush »

Today I did a little nagging hour ingame where I invited all players to tell me what they dislike about TMW. The most frequently mentioned issues were:

-Archers underpowered (will hopefully be fixed with the skill update)
-"Stacking" the best way to get experience
-Magic system too complicated to understand for some people
-No new content
-Too few items which give stat bonuses
  • former Manasource Programmer
  • former TMW Pixel artist
  • NOT a game master

Please do not send me any inquiries regarding player accounts on TMW.

You might have heard a certain rumor about me. This rumor is completely false. You might also have heard the other rumor about me. This rumor is 100% accurate.
Spit23
Novice
Novice

Re: Nagging hour

Post by Spit23 »

-Archers underpowered (will hopefully be fixed with the skill update)
As you said it will be hopefully fixed. Maybe arrows should be cheaper cause the money factor is a big drawback for archers. In earlier days it was the other way round and warriors were underpowered. They first got "overpowered" when shields and stronger weapons were released. If in future a good balance is reached it's important to make sure that new content will be released for both character concepts at the same time to keep this balance.
-"Stacking" the best way to get experience
I have no idea how to change that.
-Magic system too complicated to understand for some people
As I heared the magic system in TMWserv should be different anyway. Keeping it more simple should be a important factor by coding it I guess.
-No new content
It's a non-commercial open source game and new content also depends on the community and not only on the developers. Every player (of course he needs certain skills) can contribute new content. So I see no real problem with that.
The problem I see is when a player reached a certain high level he has the best equipement that exists in game. There is no chance to find something better. The opportunity to find better equipement anytime is what makes commercial rpgs like World of Warcraft or the Diablo series so succesful. I vote for magical equipement which gives stat bonuses. They should be best dropped randomly (I don't know if it will be possible with TMWserv) or at least be available through rare drops.
Black Don
Knight
Knight

Post by Black Don »

The best way I think would be to reduce the amount of "Stacking" would be to keep the larger more powerful monster on bigger maps with random spawn points so people have to walk around to find the monsters. Other wise people will just stand close to the set spawn points and hack away at anything that walks to them.
"Too much of a good thing is an awesome thing, but too much of an awesome thing is, um, really really dumb. And bad." Strong Bad
Pixiebobs
Novice
Novice

Post by Pixiebobs »

Thats so true BlackDon and we can read the Dictionary while we do it too LOL KIDDING

that would be fun racking up skill points.
stacking is too easy that way.
i like to work for my stuff.
and yes i have stacked
ITS a game life isn't easy and this is a lot easier then real life. Pixie
Breaking News: The Pity Train has just derailed at the intersection of Suck It Up & Move On, and crashed into We All Have Problems, before coming to a complete stop at Get The Heck Over It. Any complaints about how we operate can be forwarded to 1-800-WAA-WAAA. This is Dr. Sniffle reporting from Quitchur Bitchen
salmondine
Warrior
Warrior

Post by salmondine »

Crush ty for taking your time and coming in-game to ask such questions =]
I always wondered why the dev team didn't do this, at least while I was in-game.
Seems like a good way to get the most out of pre-alpha testers.

@Don great suggestion, where possible this is a great idea.
Fluffers
Novice
Novice

Post by Fluffers »

I've noticed that MP regenerates when a player's moving, but HP doesn't. Could HP regen be tweaked to regenerate while you move? The ones who actually need the HP regen (archers and mages) have to move around while attacking things, and movement = barely any HP regens. Warriors, on the other hand, can have mobs attack them for 1 damage per hit and have the HP regen to back them up.

Spit23 wrote:
The problem I see is when a player reached a certain high level he has the best equipement that exists in game. There is no chance to find something better. The opportunity to find better equipement anytime is what makes commercial rpgs like World of Warcraft or the Diablo series so succesful. I vote for magical equipement which gives stat bonuses. They should be best dropped randomly (I don't know if it will be possible with TMWserv) or at least be available through rare drops.

Why should the 'best' equips be the ones with high def only? Make light armours that, say, has a low def but boosts agil. Or a heavy plate with high def but cuts dex. People can play around with them to see what suits which occasion. They don't necessarily have to be 'magical' to give stat bonuses, do they?
Erienne in game.